Brave or stupid.. maybe both?

Started by ManicMatt, Thu 04/06/2015 22:26:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

So there I was in McDonalds eating some quick food with a friend when two loud blokes started punching each other! I put my fries down and ran up to them, one guy punched the other in the face, blood coming out of his nose from the blow. I held my hands up to both and positioned myself about halfway in front of them both and said "It's not worth it guys!" they carried on trying to fight but I'd made it a lot harder for them. A staff member manager came up to tell them to stop, and another man then came up and said to them "I've got kids in here!!" and then they stopped. One left the building, then the other. They then seemed to shake on it and left together.

My friend told me I was brave, and that he couldn't do that. The staff didn't say anything to me at all regarding it.

So I think to myself.. what caused me to rush to interfere, and was it really that stupid? It's just in my nature, I suppose. I'm told "what if one of them had a knife? You could have got hurt."

Maybe. But maybe not. I think if I had sat there and did nothing I would not be comfortable with myself.

So that's my "good Samaritan" act. So my devil's doing would be the next day when I went into a charity shop, found an Art of Thief hardback artbook for 7.99 in pristine condition! Went to buy it, and the cashier asked for 2.99. I didn't question and paid 2.99. Well.. that particular shop has greedy prices compared to other charity shops anyway, like 2.99 for a cd that would be 1.99 or a quid in others. Ahem.

Mandle

My mates and me would have probably started making bets... (laugh)

Stupot

I'd have left them to it. Two adrenaline-pumped strangers punching each other? I've been punched for simply being in the same room as two guys fighting, let alone trying to break them up.

I'm reminded of the time I stood up to a guy in a crowded train who was showing off by going out into the section between carriages (it was one of those trains where the in-between bits are out in the open and kind of a dangerous place to be when the train is moving). He was drunk and enjoying himself and his friends found it funny, but frankly I was nervous on his behalf. So I went and told him to come in. He just laughed in my face and his friends laughed at me too. My friends were embarrassed, but I kept insisting. Of course he didn't do as I said, and when we got off the train he and his friends were still laughing. The guy was a genuine asshole and probably deserved to slip and die, but something in my nature just told me to try and intervene even if it ended up making me look an idiot.

NickyNyce

I would have done the same. But you better pick and choose wisely. One day that same action might get you killed, or your ass kicked. I'm not one to stand by and watch, so I guess it's in my blood to step in and be a peace maker too. These actions are thankless most of the time. There will be no pats on the back or people telling you what a great job you did. The only satisfaction you will get is from within. So again, choose carefully where you put your own ass on the line, because it may one day cost you it.

RickJ

Quote... It's just in my nature, I suppose. ...
Well you do self identify as ManiacMatt ManicMatt ...

The whole thing reminds me of the old  "Slowly I Turned" skit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYP1OBZfFK0

Ibispi

Why were those guys fighting? Over cheeseburger? I think that there was no risk for you getting hurt there, Matt, since it's McDonalds', so it was a smart decision to intervene. If something like that happened somewhere else though - perhaps the best would be not to take part of that.

ManicMatt

Yeah I gotta wonder if they had been fighting in the street would I have done the same? The fact it happened in a place with lots of people and kids around might have been a factor in my decision to stop them.. I didn't particulary actually care that much about either of them!

ManiacMatt.. maybe I should make an AGS game called that, it seems to follow me around, I might as well embrace it! Three Stooges lol, I had the C64 game based on them!

RickJ

QuoteManiacMatt
Amazing what a single vowel can do for someone...

Shrew

I think some people would rather taunt danger than remain idle.

Ive been nearly attacked by a pack of coyotes, they had turned as a pack and were quietly walking straight at me. I looked over upon seeing movement (the color of their coats were the color of the grasses) and tripped on my feet when seeing the pack (Shocked; Thought I was about to die). They thought that was wierd (my tripping on my feet) and hesitated, so I just started dancing like a slut in the tall grass of a Texan field, they lowered their heads and walked off like 'f--- that, she is crazy'), fended off a bobcat, fended off a poodle, fended off...got nothing else Ive fended. I tried to hit a thief with a Prada purse he tried to steal from the store I worked at while cussing him out (use to be a javelin thrower), then I hit an innocent brown box next to me since my throw missed him hahaha, he never came back though, a-hole.

My best friend, she is about to pop out a human child from her uterus, and she, she is huge, she ran after shoplifters, she ran after two obese women. I did not help, I started laughing. At a point, that is all you can do with people than are 'DangerKids' like you, and she, and me.

Sorry about the stories. Some people would rather have a formulation of excitement in their lives than just eat their burger at McDonalds.

You are destined for taking risks. Mass majority of people are not. That is how you were made. Embrace that, ManicMatt...with your own weight of good measure...

Its worth it, the stories are. But always have fun while you do it, and reflect the crowdthink, that is how you do not get in trouble, imho. :sealed:

ManicMatt

There's a distinct lack of coyotes where I live! And bobcats. Ah the ol' act crazy to scare someone off act, but with animals!

At least I know I'll be ready if there's ever a damsel in distress. Again. Although you sound like you can take care of yourself!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk