Flight of the Amazon Queen 20th Anniversary Postmortem

Started by Armageddon, Wed 03/06/2015 07:48:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Armageddon

The creator of Flight of the Amazon Queen just posted a postmortem over at Gamasutra, check it out. I've never taken to the time to finish the game myself but it's pretty cool that just three guys could make something that surpassed even a few of the LucasArts titles. Graphically speaking that is.

Stupot

ManicMatt

Thanks, that was an interesting read! I got excited about him planning a sequel until he mentions it would be a apple watch text adventure game. Whaaaaat.

Khris

Mandle

A fascinating read which I believe will be an inspirational piece for any indie dev to read even today...

The tragedy of lost chances and the redemption of success is a story that I think any indie dev lives through be it games, film, a novel, or whatever:

The good stuff waits through the bad stuff and learns from it to build an even better final product.

The real message is: Don't give up no matter how many times you have "failed"...Because failure is pure learning...

Cassiebsg

AHAAHA... That would be a great selling point for an Apple Watch! I would love to play the game on my wrist... (laugh)
Actually playing this game on my tablet ATM. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ponch

I really liked that game back in the day and it's inspiring to read about what a small team can accomplish. :cheesy:

Monsieur OUXX

I have a friend who works at Ubisoft on Assassin's Creed, and when I told him that Indy& the 7 cities of gold has been in production for 4 years, while some other projects (Indy & the Fountain of youth) have been in production for almost a decade, he made corrosive jokes, almost calling it incompetence. I tired to explain to him that making a game part-time with a small team with a lot of turnover was a very specific process.

That article makes me feel better. The guys were 3, but full-time, and it took them 4 years.

Mandle

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 05/06/2015 10:06:51
I have a friend who works at Ubisoft on Assassin's Creed, and when I told him that Indy& the 7 cities of gold has been in production for 4 years, while some other projects (Indy & the Fountain of youth) have been in production for almost a decade, he made corrosive jokes, almost calling it incompetence. I tired to explain to him that making a game part-time with a small team with a lot of turnover was a very specific process.

Also....the type of person working and receiving salary at a major games company that makes fun of indie game designers working in their spare-time for free has a very specific name...Which I won't mention here in plain sight...

Spoiler
It starts with "D", followed by a word we say when we hurt ourselves slightly, and ends with an "E"...
[close]

(No offense to your friend intended of course...I'm just joking around...)

But still:

Spoiler
DOUCHE!!!
[close]

(laugh)

Stupot

I wanna know who this asshole EA exec was an shit in his doorstep.

kconan

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 05/06/2015 10:06:51
I have a friend who works at Ubisoft on Assassin's Creed...

Those small studios you mentioned to him at least release games that aren't rehashes of the same basic game every year...Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are the worst offenders.

CaptainD

Amazing stuff!  I particularly liked finding out the inspiration of the annoying bellboy character at the start of the game :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk