Tune Contest June - Solo-ing it - due June the 24th

Started by Wyz, Tue 09/06/2015 11:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyz

Solo-ing it
I love a good solo; whether it's a raging guitar or a dreamy synth does not matter. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling that solos are becomming less common these days. But a solo can describe a sensation words can not capture sometimes and are therefore irreplaceable. Here is a change for you guys to do something about it!

Theme:
Write and play a solo using whatever intrument you like (guitar, a synth, drums, vocal, kazoo, anything) It can be an improvisation, an actual recording or you could produce it completely electonically; that's up to you.
Use a backingtrack to your liking either made by yourself or a pre-existing one however: the solo should clearly be the focus. It should also be new.
You do not need to produce a complete song: you can cut directly to the solo. A transition of a few bars would be nice though I guess.
There are no limitation on the length but it should be just the one solo. :)

The competition will run for two weeks (till June the 24th) unless someone asks for an extention.

Good luck!
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Wyz

We're at the halfway point! 8-0
Has anyone started working on something? Please share this so this competition looks a bit more crowded. :P

If I've got time I could make a couple of trophies; perhaps that sweetens the deal. ;)

Juan Dahmen

I'll try something next week. I just don't have time jet.
Cheers.

Erenan

I think I'm going to enter. One week should be plenty of time to get something done for this, so hopefully if I don't forget about it after I navigate away from this page I'll have something to share.
The Bunker

Wyz

Mouth for war

Allright here is a thrash metal song I did \m/ haha :D It's the whole song though. The solo part starts at 2:23 it was a quick "one take" solo so bare that in mind if you wanna complain :D

http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=93505
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Erenan

Did you guys know that June 21 is International Make Music Day (apparently)? Seems like a good time to post my entry!

https://soundcloud.com/erenan/transeuphonic-gnosticonduction-ii-decryption-solo-section

Probably going to use this on an EP I'm working on.

Full disclosure: I didn't actually play the solo on an instrument. I ran a MIDI file through a VSTi. That is just how I operate, and I have absolutely no qualms with producing music that way. If you consider this outside the scope of what the contest is supposed to be about, however, then that's fine and I totally understand. I could probably do another track and actually play a solo on my guitar if necessary. Actually, that might be fine, so please let me know.

P.S. I did play the bass part. It's the only instrument that wasn't done via VSTi/samples.
The Bunker

Mouth for war

Yay Another entry. Great :D Doesn't seem to be any interest in this competition.

Erenan

For fun: Link

But again, I just ran a MIDI through a VST. Plus, this one is definitely not new (written over ten years ago, actually) so this is really just for fun.

Anyway, I'm going to try to improvise a guitar solo over this backing track sometime tonight though and post that too.

Okay, a little sloppy but here it is: Guitar Solo
The Bunker

Mouth for war

Ok since there is obviously zero interest here. Not even wyz has bothered to mention anything about the contributions. I am withdrawing (Leaving the country as well so I can't be at the forums for a while)

Take care y'all!

Juan Dahmen

For some reason, I remembered June 25th and today I came to share something and it was till 24th. I guess the next time I'll just be creative sooner.
Nice works there.

Erenan

If you have something ready to share, why not just share it? I don't think anyone really cares that much about the deadline, and Wyz even mentioned that extensions were possible anyway.
The Bunker

Juan Dahmen

Ok. The tiny solo is here.
You can see it was uploaded yesterday morning.

Have fun.

Dualnames

Apologies i felt like writing an entire song. Not sure how it fits the solo rule, but it has a solo. And it's 80s.

http://duals.agser.me/Files/12.ogg
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Wyz

First of all, my apologies for not responding sooner; life happened unfortunately. :-[
Because of that I'm going to include the late entries anyways; that seems fair.

Now for the entries themselves:

Mouth for war's trash metal song
I like myself some thrash metal and this was a nice song but I'm only going to regard the solo. It is a suiting solo; nice and fierce altough a bit short. :D

TranseuphonicGnosticonduction ii Decryption
Very nice piece and I like the solo; very proggy and virtuosic. Although playing it on a real instrument could give you more expressive power I don't feel it is holding you back in this case.

The Long Journey
I'm like the guitar version better then the piano one since I feel the guitar integrates better into the song. Both are nice solos; also a bit short. :)

Drums improv #1
I love to see a drum solo as an entry; a nice and expressive one but I do get the feeling it is more a improvisation (as the name suggests too) than a solo. I do like it. :D

You can always get my attention with 80s chippy tunes and I like it. Again I'm only going to regard the solo. A dreamy synth I like it, but it leaves me hungry for more. ;)

Well I'm just going to pick a winner and not further waste any of your time. :)

It's going to Erenan with his piece TranseuphonicGnosticonduction ii Decryption. It just felt it was closest to the theme set out and it moved me the most. Congrats!! And the rest thanks for entering; all entries were great to begin with so good job all!!

Erenan

Wow, cool, thanks! I'll start a new one right away. :cheesy:
The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk