Steam's rapid price changes!

Started by ManicMatt, Fri 12/06/2015 19:51:48

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

So there's a big Steam sale going on right now, and yes, I bought a few games. Maybe a dozen or so. Maybe more.. I've lost count.

But what's this? That game I bought for about £3.79 in a steam sale is now £2.19 a whole hour later!! what the hell!

Steam has recently made it so you can request a refund so you can buy it again at the cheaper price - in a limited period of time, and I think, if you've played it for less than two hours.

If this a normal thing on steam, dropping the price of something, and then dropping it AGAIN really quickly? What, is it not selling quick enough for them?? It makes me not want to buy anything unless it's less than 1.99 just incase it gets dropped again the same day.

Babar

Unless it shows as a "Daily Deal" or "Flash Deal", it is probably isn't the lowest it will go.
But yeah, just get a refund.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

LimpingFish

Quote from: Babar on Fri 12/06/2015 21:33:04
Unless it shows as a "Daily Deal" or "Flash Deal", it is probably isn't the lowest it will go.

Yep, first rule of Steam sales.

Concentrate on flash/dailies, and leave everything else until the very last day of the sale.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

It seems to me that Steam and GOG are in Sale season more often then not. It doesn't even feel special anymore. If they can afford to practically give away most of the games for most of the year, then it doesn't mean you're getting a "deal". It just means you're maybe not getting ripped off quite so hard.

Any, excuse the mini-rant. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm constantly broke and can't even afford to buy games when they're on sale.

m0ds

It's not a normal thing, as Babar says over their summer sale there are 2 tiers typically the "whole period" sale price (probably the 3.79) and if it gets picked/featured or what not then a higher discount gets applied. So perhaps you found and bought it moments before it got featured?

Slightly OT but I got mail from someone saying they couldn't get our game to run on Steam so wanted a refund and explained they couldn't get a bunch of other games to run so they had had those refunded too. Sounds to me like someone flaunting the system - I mean, if all these games don't run, perhaps its your PC???! No surprise Valve has refused them further refunds for a while. Someone warned me the refund system could be abused and companies dealt some blows over refunds (perhaps fraudulently), but it seems Valve are on top of it, as they are with pretty much everything.

ManicMatt

I see, lesson learned!

Once Steam had refunded me I did the honourable thing and re-bought said games at the cheaper prices even though I felt annoyed that I had to go through that! I had someone in my shop today return a preowned xbox one game, said it doesn't load halfway through "a mission". Yeah, sure it did.

Mati256

The thing is Steam changes the daily deal games every 24 hours, but for the first, let's say, 5 or 10 minutes, the games remain with the older discount. Last sale they screwed up a few times and the games where actually cheaper than what they should be, I got Don't Starve really cheap for one of those mistakes, so maybe that's why they are doing this now.
Long story short, wait some minutes after the deals are announced. Arma III was 40% when first in the daily deals, and 5 minutes later it was 60%.
My Blog! (En Español)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk