Tactician: Civil War (short experimental/novelty game)

Started by Atelier, Tue 16/06/2015 13:48:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

This is a short, two-player turn-based game based upon the American Civil War, made quite a few years ago for a history presentation.

My hope is that somebody will see potential in the project and I can allow them to continue where I left off.

Instructions

- At the start, each player chooses a side and distributes points amongst available units (infantry, cavalry, or artillery units), to build their army.
- Unionist units are a light grey, and Confederate units are dark grey.
- Take it in turns to manoeuvre units into position. Hovering over them shows two circles - the lightest shows the unit's movement range, and the darkest is the damage range.
- Crossed out units have already been moved that turn, and translucent units are defeated.
- Pressing TAB reveals every units' damage and movement range.
- Right-click to deselect a selected unit.

Screenshots

DOWNLOAD

Don't expect too much! One of my main reasons for posting is that if anybody is interested in the concept and wants to develop the project into something much bigger, please PM me as I am willing to give the source code.

(Also yes, I realise tactician is spelt wrong in the logo of all things, but I cba to recompile everything. I really made a huge TIT of myself there.)

Ibispi

Looks cool. Downloading.

Edit: interesting idea for a game, but I can't play it with anyone, since there is only multiplayer co-op. But yeah, nice idea. I'm not sure how you would expand on it and make a bigger game though.

alphadalekben

One way that it could be expanded could be to add a campaign mode, based on the real life battles. This would also solve the issue of there not being a single player mode at the moment.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: alphadalekben on Tue 16/06/2015 16:13:02
One way that it could be expanded could be to add a campaign mode, based on the real life battles. This would also solve the issue of there not being a single player mode at the moment.

The main problem of single player is not making maps, but programming AI.

alphadalekben

I would be willing to help devise ways of creating the AI at a later date.

Mati256

It would be interesting to ditch the 360 firing and movement, for just a frontal thing. So you could implement flanking and encirclements.
My Blog! (En Español)

Frikker

just wanted to point out that in the post title you call the game "tactician" but the game logo with the cannon is spelt "tactitian" .
Im in a rush so dont have time to spellcheck but only one can be right. Hopefully its the post as it would be far easier to change.

Matt

BrightBulb

I really liked the game. Here are some thoughts of mine.

1. I had some difficulites to distinguish friendly and enemy troops. I would recommend to use colors (blue and grey?)

2. I was a bit confused by the already killed troops. I realize they are greyed out. But it made problem nr. 1 worse. I would recommend to just eliminate killed troops entirely.

3. Movement seemed to be blocked by killed troops. Is that intentional? At the end of the battle I had problems moving my troops because of that.

4. It seemed odd that the movement and attack radius of the artillery is almost identical. I don't know anything about civil war weapons, but I would have guessed that the attack range would be much longer than the movement range.

5. Also the fact that a troop can attack any number of troops within range (even melee cavalry) seemed strange. Because of this, the best tactic seems to rush your unit in the middle of the enemy troops.

All in all, this game has a lot of potential. I could imagine terrain features, for example.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk