The Knobbly Crook: Full Game (FINISHED)

Started by Bavolis, Fri 26/06/2015 03:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavolis

Room finished! As much pain as I put into the paper wall, it looked a bit more sci-fi than I wanted. My abstract style is already a bit jarring for some people, so I figured a simple foresty look would help pull attention to the objects in this room. I think having the paper wall gone will help me on the story side, too. We've got a Knobbcrookian conundrum here. Rock beats scissors... how are those scissors stuck into the rock? This hemochingineer is determined to find out.

CaptainD

This is so shiny it's making the photochromic lenses of my glasses darken.    Mind blown!

Bavolis

Bavolis

The paperkin of The Fold don't take kindly to a (scissor) person from the Knobbly Crook. In fact, they may be inclined to violently twitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2peiAOAdo&feature=youtu.be

Bavolis

It's been a while since I've updated, but the game is still going full-steam ahead. I've completed a few more backgrounds and I'm currently trying to finish up this huge W.I.P. monstrosity (which will be a boat area):

It's been a busy year with Watch Dogs 2 announced and headed into stores in a couple of months (lots of overtime!), but I'm determined to keep my little weirdo-project moving.

AnasAbdin

Is it me or is your W.I.P. background looks amazingly usable?  (nod)
Every time I see an update from you I get goosebumps  (laugh) <3

SilverSpook

True artistry over here.  Stop making us look bad, man.  (JK)

I'm very intrigued by the concept of a sea of wax from a melting candle (what I gather at first glance from the image).

Keep it up, mate!

Bavolis

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 04/09/2016 06:11:55
Is it me or is your W.I.P. background looks amazingly usable?  (nod)
Every time I see an update from you I get goosebumps  (laugh) <3

Thanks! I wish I *could* use it like this. I'm itching to move on to characters/writing now. This should be the last big background before I can switch over. Knowing me, though, I'll add a couple more as I go.

Bavolis

Quote from: SilverSpook on Sun 04/09/2016 07:40:11
True artistry over here.  Stop making us look bad, man.  (JK)

I'm very intrigued by the concept of a sea of wax from a melting candle (what I gather at first glance from the image).

Keep it up, mate!

Thank you! I hadn't thought about the candle contributing to the lake but that's a really cool idea (I've been calling it "Ale Lake.") I may try to show some of the melt and see how that works :)

Bavolis

I've added a thread to the AGS HELP WANTED section looking for a Mechanical Puzzle Designer. If that's something you can (and want) do and you're willing to put together a prototype, please let me know. I'd love to have you aboard.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53924.msg636543224#msg636543224

Bavolis

I found a mechanical puzzle designer on twitter and the Knobbly Crook now has Rock, Paper, Scissors combat. But it's not random - the enemy has "tells" that you may have to learn before the fight if you want it to go smoothly. You'll notice sometimes it's clear that he does a specific tell and the move is predictable, but others might indicate he's changing the pattern of his selection.

The background and opponent are currently placeholders:

Rock Paper Scissors Combat Video

Bavolis

Now that the room art is done, I've started putting everything together. Here you can see the Fish Gates room with smooth, multi-layered scrolling (hurray community devs) and even a finished example of the Rock, Paper, Scissors game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbcpmrjDj0&feature=youtu.be

AnasAbdin

Oh man that is just awesome! I think games like yours bring AGS to another level (nod)

Bavolis

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 15/10/2016 19:48:46
Oh man that is just awesome! I think games like yours bring AGS to another level (nod)

Thanks! I think mine brings things into an unusual, surreal place, but there are plenty of way more talented people making AGS games (some even making a living at it!).

SilverSpook

Glad to hear you've found that puzzle designer!  I'd pitch in but I'm fairly swamped finishing my own project at the moment.

Good luck!

Bavolis

Quote from: SilverSpook on Sun 16/10/2016 20:33:45
Glad to hear you've found that puzzle designer!  I'd pitch in but I'm fairly swamped finishing my own project at the moment.

Good luck!

Thanks! Definitely wouldn't want to pull you away from Neofeud... looks like you're full-steam ahead on that one and it's looking great.  :)

Bavolis

Small update: The writing/scripting is progressing fast. I ran into a place where the transition felt really weird (a cave entrance that leads to a cave exit with no cave) so I figured I'd do one quick little passageway through the bowels of the Knobbly Crook. Of course I never manage to do anything "quick," so I ended up with this weird thing:

Andail

Good gracious, now that's a proper piece of art.
If you don't end up making games, you could always start selling posters...

BiggerJ

"Whoops, need to add a quick transition screen." (creates work of staggering beauty)

This explains and justifies every single delay. Please never stop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk