The Knobbly Crook: Full Game (FINISHED)

Started by Bavolis, Fri 26/06/2015 03:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavolis

Bloodlust should have made a point and click adventure. Although some of the gore/weirdness does carry over to the 'Crook.

Ghostcat

It's like Rick and Morty on crack. Big fan of this.
p o l t e r g e i s t

Bavolis

Enter the Judgement Wardens. Hipster Knobbcrookians, gah!

If you happen to be a Judgement Warden yourself, don't worry--I'll be poking fun at the K.O.C.A. (Keep Our Crook Amazing) group as well.

AnasAbdin

As usual, your backgrounds are rich in details and the colors are just ummph!
One little thing though, your previous backgrounds always quenched our thirst to little details, this one seems a little different. If this is your aim then I totally respect your artistic eye :) And not to set Darth alert, I am asking is this background complete? :P

Bavolis

It's since had some extra layers added for multi-level scrolling. It looks quite nice in motion now - a very deep and spooky cave. I've become addicted to the Smooth Scrolling and Parallax script. I can't get enough :)

Bavolis

Test run of the scrolling in the Temple of the Birthday Boys. The Templars are not in there yet. Also a small preview of one of the conversation puzzles. Youtube doesn't much like the window grunge I put in the foreground, but it looks pretty nice in the game.

Temple of the Birthday Boys

For reference, I'm left-leaning and my general life approach is that you must listen to the "other side" if you want any hope of coexisting, so I'm using the game to poke fun at both extremes of the current culture wars. I've been accused of being a libtard, a snowflake, a cuck, a Gamergater, an MRA, an Alt-Righter, and "literally a pile of human garbage." I am none of those things, but I do tend to side with freedom of speech (freeze peaches) because I was a horror fan in the 80s when the morality police went after pretty much everything I loved. In this case, I like that O'Sirus is just this amoral little troublemaker who wants to make as little effort as possible to get by. That gives the player permission to raise an eyebrow at anything they face. With that said, two of the factions you must bypass in your quest are:

Birthday Boys - Xenophobic hatemongers who control through terrible catch phrases and irrational fear.
Judgement Wardens - Holier-than-thou witch hunters who control through constantly shifting rules and exaggerated outrage.

SilverSpook

Love the Birthday Boys / Judgement Wardens concept, and totally agree about the gonzo-level cultural warfare nuking the planet from orbit right now.  This is my jam!  As if there wasn't already enough reason to love this game!

Bavolis

That's what I like to hear! You'll probably understand the "gonzo-level" conversation he has with the Wardens, too:

Meet the Wardens

Cassiebsg

Bavolis those movies are just 8-0 8-0 8-0 8-0 ....
Amazing job! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Bavolis

AnasAbdin

Wow! great to see game-play videos (nod)
Music, concept, details... I'll probably connect my laptop to a big TV to enjoy every little pixel (laugh)

SilverSpook

The Wardens Conversation is spot-on satire!  Man this game is a true gem!

Bavolis

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sun 11/06/2017 07:40:56
Wow! great to see game-play videos (nod)
Music, concept, details... I'll probably connect my laptop to a big TV to enjoy every little pixel (laugh)

I don't think it's going to look very nice on a big TV :) You'll have to let me know.

Bavolis

Quote from: SilverSpook on Sun 11/06/2017 07:57:16
The Wardens Conversation is spot-on satire!  Man this game is a true gem!

Thanks! A lot of this stuff writes itself. So far the trick seems to be to go so heavy-handed with it, it becomes ridiculous. Kind of the opposite of what I'd want to do at work :)

Bavolis

Here's a video showing the rather large and yellow Ale Lake. The compression kind of kills the water ripple effect, but there is one! I wanted to use one of the cool reflective effects people here have made, but they didn't seem compatible with the shape/size of the background I had made.

Ale Lake via Youtube

Bavolis

Don't worry, he doesn't b--well, on second thought, he probably does.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Only stumbled across this today... I am really in awe of your art style.
Would you happen to know of the works of Robert Steven Connett? Your style reminds me of his stuff,  high detail, strong contrast shading, colors, surrealism..etc

Blondbraid

Wow, that last image is both hilarious and absolutely terrifying! 8-0

AnasAbdin

Every time I open the forums and find an update by you I have to prepare myself emotionally before opening the thread. AND STILL I get shocked no matter what 8-0

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 25/07/2017 10:32:32

I totally agree. I feel his fingers are touching my monitor from the other side.

Bavolis

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Tue 25/07/2017 09:24:33
Only stumbled across this today... I am really in awe of your art style.
Would you happen to know of the works of Robert Steven Connett? Your style reminds me of his stuff,  high detail, strong contrast shading, colors, surrealism..etc

Thanks! I remember somebody comparing my work to him before and seeing some definite similarities. It would be really interesting to see a game done in his style--much more surreal than mine :)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 25/07/2017 10:32:32

It's only because he believes in the ancient Knobbcrookian art of face-wrapping. He's really a very handsome guy under all that squeeze.

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 25/07/2017 10:39:37
Every time I open the forums and find an update by you I have to prepare myself emotionally before opening the thread. AND STILL I get shocked no matter what 8-0

Might I suggest a calming Knobbcrookian face-wrap next time?

edit by Darth - triple-post combined

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk