The Knobbly Crook: Full Game (FINISHED)

Started by Bavolis, Fri 26/06/2015 03:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo

Yikes! I dare people to use this pic as a desktop background!
You do have an uniquely amazing style, feels both creepy and captivating. Can't wait to play the second chapter.

SilverSpook

Wow that guy is super creepy! But fantastic job on the artwork. :)

selmiak

this guy is so cool, looks a bit like my neighbour. Keep it up! :-D

Bavolis

Quote from: Hobo on Wed 26/07/2017 18:25:00
Yikes! I dare people to use this pic as a desktop background!
You do have an uniquely amazing style, feels both creepy and captivating. Can't wait to play the second chapter.

Thanks, it's going to be the second-and-third chapters in one - the complete story!

Quote from: SilverSpook on Wed 26/07/2017 20:53:06
Wow that guy is super creepy! But fantastic job on the artwork. :)

Thank you. I think he's kind of cute.

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 26/07/2017 21:31:51
this guy is so cool, looks a bit like my neighbour. Keep it up! :-D

I think your neighbor needs a hug! Just not too hard because you might pop out his eyes.

Bavolis

The Gouger gouges!

Big progress lately on the puzzles. There is an end in sight.

SilverSpook

Amazing work as always! Interesting weapon he has there also.

Creamy

QuoteThe Gouger gouges!
It reminds me of a Pixies' song.
Could you tell him to get that spoon away from our eyes?

Bavolis

It's a carving tool which he primarily uses to make dolls... however, there may come a time towards the end of the game where we see the Knobbcrookians defend themselves.  :X

Bavolis

Bavolis

Augustus the Combustus has some O'Sirus-caused chest pain. The white part will be ultra-jiggly, which is why it has less detail.

SilverSpook

Amazing design as always! Are those question marks on his beard-like area?

Bavolis

Quote from: SilverSpook on Mon 16/10/2017 04:25:31
Amazing design as always! Are those question marks on his beard-like area?

They're parts of the Knobbcrookian flush swirl, a symbol for bankers. :)

Blondbraid

Wow, the eyes of the last character looks simply mesmerizing!

milkanannan

Was just thinking to myself these graphics remind me of the Bloodlust game in my youth when ... it's the dude himself! (laugh) That style is unmistakable. New game looks amazing, dude.

Random Bloodlust memory: guy upside down with a funnel up his ass while it's raining nails. Ah memories  ;-D

Bavolis

Quote from: manifest class on Tue 17/10/2017 15:00:53
Random Bloodlust memory: guy upside down with a funnel up his ass while it's raining nails. Ah memories  ;-D

Ahh the good old days of making super-cheapo mini-games with Troma. Gutter dev has never been more fun.

eri0o

Dude, your art is pretty and crazy, it's amazingly consistent and I just watched the youtube videos from your channel. I am intrigued. And I like you like colours. Your game is very colourful. I like green. And your characters they look a bit like made from offscourings, from a scrapyard, I don't know if it's the intent, I feel it is, which is cool and they would make cool toys.

Bavolis

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 18/10/2017 02:22:34
Dude, your art is pretty and crazy, it's amazingly consistent and I just watched the youtube videos from your channel. I am intrigued. And I like you like colours. Your game is very colourful. I like green. And your characters they look a bit like made from offscourings, from a scrapyard, I don't know if it's the intent, I feel it is, which is cool and they would make cool toys.

Thanks! The junk theme is completely intentional - the Knobbcrookians are basically "junk golems" and all have some element of metal since they're the "scissors" in rock, paper, scissors. That lore will be explained in the upcoming chapters. I agree that they would make cool toys and it would be a dream come true if I had a shelf full of these guys. One can dream!

Bavolis

Here's a walkthrough of Chapter 1, which shows off all of the new visual additions (including major color corrections using a monitor calibrator, smooth scrolling, multi-layers, Snarky's world bubbles, etc...) and some player-friendly changes. A few bugs still to fix!

If you've been interested in the art but aren't sure what the heck this thing is all about, I'd suggest watching a few minutes of it and seeing if it's your speed. Chapter 1 is 100% free and the next content updated (the final 2/3 of the game) will also be free. I'm doing this for fun:

Knobbly Crook Playthrough on Youtube

Bavolis

The (mostly) complete Knobbly Crook is now in Beta Testing mode and looking for victi--er---players. Details in the recruitment threat here: Testers Needed!

Wiggy

G'day Bavolis!

I am having a lash at the beta, awesome graphics, story and animation! I'm only 730/960 at the moment, but have found a few issues - I'd better hide because I'd hate to spoil for others this great game. So..

Spoiler
1. The mouseover exit slider doesn't move. When operated from show to hide or vice-versa, the effect actually happens - when back in the game they're there or gone as ordered and when you open the slider again it has assumed the commanded position. It just doesn't slide with the cursor.

2. The LOAD dialog. When first opened, the uppermost option is coloured as if has been selected, but it will not load without first being clicked upon. When it is clicked, the name (usually "stuck" in my usage :wink:) does not transfer to the uppermost window which usually indicates a successful selection. The game loads successfully, it's just that the player has no indication during the process.

3. On the way to and from Birthday Boy island, while still on the horizontal walkway, one can "use" the gondola and go to the top of the hill - conveniently teleporting through the hedgerow.

4. After ridding the world of Judgement Wardens (I love that term for politically correct nanny-police) at the festival you can still "look" at the balloon-pop (above the balloon window) and the speaker will reiterate the Judgement Warden warning.

5. Minor spelling/grammar - "aN angler", "he's A birthday boy plant", and "machemallow" should be "marshmallow". (The CAPS in the preceding are missing.
[close]

Sorry to nit-pick, but that's what a tester has to do. Now to find out how to
Spoiler
stone-wash my pantaloons to attract the paper moths so I can distract the strongman and get the blood for the magic wand to kill the totems etc.etc
[close]
Fantastic game! Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk