Wrong Channel (June MAGS 2015)

Started by xil, Mon 29/06/2015 16:14:09

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

Wrong Channel is a super low res point & click horror adventure. Can you survive? Can you make sure you don't select the… wrong channel!

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/wrongchannel2.png[/imgzoom][imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/wrongchannel4.png[/imgzoom]

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

xil

Apologies to those who have just downloaded, I noticed a couple of little bugs. I've updated the download.
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Stupot

Oh boy. Looks awesome, mate. Will play ASAP.

[Edit]
Just played. Brilliant stuff!

xil

Thanks for giving it a go Stupot+, I'm glad you liked it! :)

Mandle

I found some slight glitches:

Spoiler
If you choose "candle" on the hole menu while "reach" is available the menu shows both "grasp" and "reach". Also the game crashes when you use the quit option: Not a biggie as the player was trying to quit anyway.

One other thing: Hitting ESC to access an options menu is quite intuitive for hardcore point-and-clickers but probably not so for your casual player. You might want to include instructions somewhere. This may be hard to do without breaking your low-res esthetic though...
[close]

Not yet finished the game, but great atmosphere so far...

EDIT:

OHHHHHHHH!!! I just finished the game and I realised what was making me hit a "dead-end":

SPOILERS:
Spoiler
When I first read the message in the tree I added I(9th letter of alphabet) and S(19th letter) as 9+19=28 which took me to the weeping woman's room. Thus I thought that the message was finished with.

SUPER-SPOILERS:
Spoiler
But the left-over "for"(4) did bother me so I eventually went back and tried 1+5/4 (64) which led me to the graves. At this point I thought the carving had a double-code until I did the grave math and got the result 28. Then I realised that I(9)+S(19)=28 was just a HUGE coincidence and that I was supposed to visit the graves before I visited the weeping-woman. And then I could finish the game.
[close]

Anyways, just a heads-up about that thingy. I don't know how many other players will make the same "mistake" as me, and it could even be considered a hidden "feature" that makes the game a little harder maybe... (laugh)
[close]

GREAT GAME!!! Really enjoyed it heaps!!!

Shadow1000

Spoiler
But the left-over "for"(4) did bother me so I eventually went back and tried 1+5/4 (64) which led me to the graves. At this point I thought the carving had a double-code until I did the grave math and got the result 28. Then I realised that I(9)+S(19)=28 was just a HUGE coincidence and that I was supposed to visit the graves before I visited the weeping-woman. And then I could finish the game.
[close]

Aha...that helped where I was stuck.
Spoiler
I ended up on 28 from the I + S; I didn't get the 64 even after playing around with the numbers a bit (I think I tried using 1 and 5 because of their similarity to 1 and 5 but no luck.)
[close]

I finished the game with that hint.

Really cool and different game.

SHADOW

xil

Thanks for playing guys, I'm glad you liked it!

It's a bit of a shame I managed to pick a random channel which conflicted but I think I'll leave it as is as it's only a small game :)

Chicky

I really enjoyed this xil, you did a cracking job with the low res aesthetic and the game is genuinely creepy! I was stuck for quite some time but I powered through.

Loved the death screen! Made me jump multiple times :)

Bulbapuck

Fantastic game! I loved it :smiley:

I feel that your artistic style really fit in well with the game mechanics in this one, with the game being so surreal the player just accepts the surreal game play mechanics like it's normal.
Spoiler
Is there more than one ending? It felt like I got a bad ending but I'm not sure.
[close]
Also I made another LP if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwHe2U3bJ0A
will upload part 2 tomorrow morning (in a few hours)

Kastchey

Love the art and the atmosphere, xil.
As a long time horror fan I'm not easily impressed by jump scares, but I must say the game over screen is awesome :)

The actual gameplay can indeed get random at times, just like a few others I managed to accidentally teleport to the next room without solving the puzzle:

Spoiler
I interacted with most of the hotspots in the first room, then grabbed the remote and without thinking, I input a random number (12) which ported me to the room with the tree. Then again, in the beginning this kind of worked in favour of the game atmosphere, too â€" I explored the tree room then, relaxed, I casually pressed another random number on the remote and BOO, I'M DEAD!! That was pretty awesome =)
[close]

I have yet to play though to the end now that I have realised how to properly progress, but quite an enjoyable game so far.

Khris

That was awesome!

Not sure if I actually finished it though,
Spoiler
I used the knife on the woman and got a game over screen, is that the regular end of the game?
[close]

Edit: Guess not :-D
Got to the actual end, thanks to Bulbapuck's LP.

Mandle

Quote from: Khris on Wed 08/07/2015 11:49:47
That was awesome!

Not sure if I actually finished it though,
Spoiler
I used the knife on the woman and got a game over screen, is that the regular end of the game?
[close]

No...that is not the actual end of the game...

selmiak

That creepy Gameover message is ace. I just completed it... in its native resolution! A great game with small pixels!

xil

Sorry Khris I've been super busy so missed this! Glad you managed to get to the end, thanks to Bulbapuck and Mandle.

Thanks for the kind words Kastchey, I do agree it can be a bit random as you technically could guess all of the channels or even brute force it, but I did make sure the ending was only obtainable once you had completed some steps so I agree, it managed to work out ok!

selmiak you must have some insanely good eyesight haha!

Chicky I'm sure in other contexts, I would sound weird saying I'm glad I managed to scare you, but it's nice to know the low-res style can do a jump scare!

Bulbapuck, I loved the playthrough, I had a good laugh when you were explaining about your grandad who was a fisherman as you were googling 'port' :D Apologies about the hidden escape button menu, I did toy around with putting a button on screen but because it was so low-res it looked a little awkward. I'll make sure I don't make that mistake again though.

Spoiler
Technically you got a 'bad-ish' ending but unfortunately that's the only one I had time to put in. So you didn't miss anything at least! :D
[close]

I'm now off to play the other MAGS games and cast my vote!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Cool game, but I cannot figure out the significance of the paintings
Spoiler
They relate to the books, right? but can't figure a number from it ???
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 20/07/2015 07:43:01
Cool game, but I cannot figure out the significance of the paintings
Spoiler
They relate to the books, right? but can't figure a number from it ???
[close]

Spoiler
You aren't supposed to...The paintings are hints to figure out a puzzle later. They show the sequence that you have to do things in...

Spoiler
Wait...This is the Hints And Tips forum right?....ummm....right? Oh damn, I'm so banned... :-X
[close]
[close]

Dualnames

xil, that was nice, very short, but 5-20 minutes well spent <3

Sound design is spot on, and generally very creepy atmosphere and nicely drawn.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Monsieur OUXX

hey xil, is it the game with the engine?

xil

@MiteWiseacreLives! - I'll pass you over to @Mandle's post as it's explains everything perfectly! :)
@Dualnames - Thanks man! Hopefully I can squeeze a bit more free time out of the next few months of MAGS to do something a bit longer.
@Monsieur OUXX - It's not actually using the 2d engine, I cheated and went with a simple locked Y style thing as the walkable areas are identical on all screens. I've got the game using the 2dengine about 50% done but I wanted to do it justice so will be taking my time and releasing it hopefully in the next few months. It is going really well though and looking very slick! In fact I'll put up a games in production thread soon so you can see the progress :)

sthomannch

Short, but very good on transferring the atmosphere. Especially with this graphics. Well done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk