MAGS July: "Hendrix" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/07/2015 11:16:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Hendrix'

This month's guidelines were set by DGMacphee:

After Stupot very kindly updated the MAGS website, it got me looking back through the archives. This month we are winding the clock back as far as it will go: 14 years to June 2001. The rules for that month and for this are:

1. Must have five inventory items total (No more, no less)
    2. Must be under eight rooms
    3. Must have a character named Hendrix
    4. Must relate to fish in some way

Apart from that, your game can be anything else you want!

Thanks everybody for sticking with it.

Ending 31st July

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Kitty Trouble

Interesting, if any competition would be there to make my first game, this would be it due to forced minimalistic requirements :P

Question about number of rooms, less than 8 rooms means up to 7 rooms, not including 8?

Atelier

Quote from: chaosgodkarl on Fri 03/07/2015 05:42:34
Question about number of rooms, less than 8 rooms means up to 7 rooms, not including 8?

Yeah, that's how I read it.

HanaIndiana

Love these crazy crazy themes!

Grok

Hendrix Island

My entry to the contest

Download as zip-file zip link

Download as setup file with installer installer link

Arcangel

QuoteMust have five inventory items total (No more, no less)

1. Start and finish with 5 inventory items or we start maybe 1 or 2 but NEVER have more than 5 at same time in my inventory?
2. Max room 7 understand. ( that include menu, credits or those are out of 7 rooms?)

3. Easy . No prob.
4. Easy too.

Thanx for all . And I hope have time to finish something easy and short have few days only.

Cassiebsg

The way I read it is 5 I inventory items, is that you need to have 5 total. Not 5 that you can then combine to another, cause then you would have 6 in script, even though the character only has 4 in the game ... that's how I understand it anyway.

Also, I believe that the max 7 room refers to playable rooms, not including menus and stuff...

Hope it makes sense and that I'm right in my assumptions... :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Grok on Sun 12/07/2015 09:20:09
Hendrix Island

My entry to the contest

You might want to release it in Completed Games as well if you want people to play it and be able to vote on it.

I'm playing it right now...And it is really good!!!

Cassiebsg

Playing it too on my tablet, nice one! :)
Am though a bit stuck, not sure if it's because am playing on the tablet or the puzzle is hard... or I'm missing something... I'll keep at it though, before asking for directions... ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grok

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 22/07/2015 14:11:33

You might want to release it in Completed Games as well if you want people to play it and be able to vote on it.

I'm playing it right now...And it is really good!!!

Thank you for the tip and the nice words. Being fairly new around here I don't know all the dos and don'ts around the forums. :)

I'll get on to do a post in the Completed Games forum then.

@Cassiebsg  I wouldn't expect there to be any special problems playing on a tablet, but I wouldn't really know, being somewhat old fashion (preferring stationery computers and crt-screens). :)

Haggis

Can't believe I've only just seen this months MAGS - could have been some LSD tripping voodoo fish, Fini Hendrix! What a cool cat, dig.

Grok - will give your entry a try!

CatPunter

Gurok and I are cooking something up too!

Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

Stupot

Woah, Grok vs Gurok (and CatPunter).
It's like Batman vs. Bateman (From American Psycho - which actually, would be awesome! And Bale could reprise both roles and fight himself. I'm so making this happen. But I digress...)

Good luck.

Xil, are you in this month?

Grok

Quote from: Stupot+ on Mon 27/07/2015 23:48:22
Woah, Grok vs Gurok (and CatPunter).
It's like Batman vs. Bateman  ..... And Bale could reprise both roles ....

I want to be Batman. Bateman isn't crazy enough for me.  And I would like to be played by Bruce Willis.

@Haggis  Hope you have fun

@ CatPunter and Gurok    Looks good

xil

@Stupot I've got something in the works but I've not had enough spare time this month to complete it. I might try to cut it down and release it anyway as it's more of a concept than anything else :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Matt Frith

Not long left now!

Hopefully I will have enough time to finish my entry. When is the actual submission deadline timewise? I've been talking to Gurok on irc and I thought it was a little unfair that he may lose around 9 hours of potential work (compared to me) due to him being Australian and likewise me compared to an American.  I don't suppose the deadline is *too* strict but I thought I'd ask given that Grok has submitted his game well on time. :)

Anyway here is a preview of my game:

AprilSkies

awesome pixels Matt and CatPunter!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

xil

@Grok Well done on completing early, I love the look of the character :D
@CatPunter That image looks very intriguing indeed!
@MattFrith Since there is no time zone attached to the end date, why would anyone lose 9 hours? I had always assumed you had until midnight on the end date wherever you were in the world but perhaps I was wrong! Are you going off the forum timezone? Side note: I noticed those graphics on twitter a while back and it's awesome to see it was a MAGS entry all along :)

That being said I may well get something done but I might be a little bit late. I'll see how it goes and post it when it's ready, if that means I miss out on being able to enter then that's no issue, I'll leave it to the powers that be to decide! :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

LostTrainDude

Whoa-whoa-whoa! I didn't realize how many entries were going to be! :D
Can't wait to play them all. They all look gorgeous! 8-)

Good luck everybody in this last sprint :D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Matt Frith

Good point Xil.   I am currently having people test it and hope to release in a few hours if all goes well. I'll miss my midnight deadline but hopefully that won't be won't be too much of an issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk