UPDATED: Cauchemarionto - First AGS game attempt

Started by vladeK, Thu 09/07/2015 21:12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

vladeK

Greetings, AGS Community ! I am sorry if this post is a bit messy, it is my first one. Anyway, this is the first serious game I have made. It is a little rough around the edges (I used a bit of the default stuff), and it was more of an attempt to see if I can make an adventure game, and I hope it paves the way for better projects. Any criticism is more than welcome, and hopefully it will be enjoyable :smiley:. Now, on to the game.

Cauchemarionto

You awaken in a odd-looking room. You have no idea who, or what you are, and are stuck with only two things in mind: in mind: your weird shape ( an odd mixture between a blue robe and two coloured sleeves, with one eye on your stomach), and the feeling that something bad has happened, yet you don't know what.
This is how your quest begins.

Screenshots:

UPDATE: I have read about the bugs you encountered. Thank you very much. I've updated the game: fixed item bugs, tweaked a couple of things, added a few pieces of extra-dialogue and, finally, I have added a post-credits scene. Both links are updated with the new version.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/orsso3v39t0ljob/cmar%2B.rar
Alternate link
http://tinyurl.com/cauchemarionto1

You can still get the old version here:
http://tinyurl.com/cauchemarionto
No idea what to do in life, but that will not stop me from enjoying it.

Mandle

Love the bright, fun look of this!

Congratulations on your first release. It always feels great to complete and release a project and the first one is especially exciting and memorable, despite being usually a little rough.

I will be checking this out for sure!

Shadow1000

Looks like a great game. I downloaded it and started playing, but I see that on my computer the game area is a small square in middle of my screen. I've adjusted my screen resolution up and down to no avail. Is there any way to adjust this?

SHADOW

vladeK

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 10/07/2015 16:07:02
Looks like a great game. I downloaded it and started playing, but I see that on my computer the game area is a small square in middle of my screen. I've adjusted my screen resolution up and down to no avail. Is there any way to adjust this?

SHADOW
That was one of the problems I just could not fix. A workaround I found is changing the filter to 'Max nearest-neighbour filter'. If that doesn't work, try messing around with the filters until it works properly. I will try to see what causes this and release an updated version if I fix it. I deeply apologize for this.

Shadow1000

That solves it. Thank you

I completed the game and I think that it's really a great first game. The design of the layout and puzzles are well-thought out. The story was pretty weird and abstract but it comes together well. I hope you continue to produce more games!

SHADOW

Bulbapuck

This was very good for a first game, I really enjoyed it. The puzzles and pacing were nice and made for a quite relaxing experience. Story was good too, the only complaint I have is that sometimes it wasn't obvious where you could and couldn't go, as an example:

Spoiler
The staircase going down didn't look like a staircase to me. I was looking around the room for a staircase after talking to the torture victim, but I thought to myself "No stairs here, let's move on."
[close]

I made an LP of it, if you want to watch me get stuck at those points :P: https://youtu.be/Y5pxpMO-SC4?list=PLEem6SKeUgpUs4p0U8r-SpUvR15nLhooZ

vladeK

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Wed 15/07/2015 11:23:30
This was very good for a first game, I really enjoyed it. The puzzles and pacing were nice and made for a quite relaxing experience. Story was good too, the only complaint I have is that sometimes it wasn't obvious where you could and couldn't go, as an example:

Spoiler
The staircase going down didn't look like a staircase to me. I was looking around the room for a staircase after talking to the torture victim, but I thought to myself "No stairs here, let's move on."
[close]

I made an LP of it, if you want to watch me get stuck at those points :P: https://youtu.be/Y5pxpMO-SC4?list=PLEem6SKeUgpUs4p0U8r-SpUvR15nLhooZ

Thank you very much ! As someone who watches a lot of let's plays, this was quite surreal to watch. On the third part, I was somewhat glad you got stuck, because I didn't expect anybody to go back to the previous rooms and thought I wasted development time on them. And yes, I agree, the stairs were pretty badly done, and I should have given players a way to check what they were supposed to do. But in the end, I am quite glad you enjoyed it !

Mandle

Just finished the game and it was great! I especially liked the music and the way such a bright and fun-looking game...

SPOILERS
Spoiler
...quickly got all dark and disturbing. A very weird story but very enjoyable trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

I did find a few bugs: If you give the spear to the cloaked figure he says it is the scroll, and if you use the scroll on the pool of blood the game thinks you have used the key. I think you have some UseInventoryOn functions that are not checking properly what object is used and so any object can be used or perhaps some wrong object numbers in the script?
[close]

Hope to see more stuff from you in the future! I'll definately play!

sthomannch

tsa

I'm replaying it now and I can't get past the immortal being's 'tomb!' There must be only a very narrow path that you can walk over. Or did I forget something?

vladeK

You are not supposed to get past the blue line. What you actually need to do is:
Spoiler

use the button on the panel and then use the panel normally.
[close]
For you and anyone else that gets stuck I highly recommend Bulbapuck's 'let's play'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk