My new cartoon characters for a comic strip

Started by ManicMatt, Fri 03/07/2015 19:30:58

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

It's been years since I did any cartoon strips, but I came up with these two animal-like humanoids and I like them enough to start something!

However I feel they need a bit of work in the design department, although I like to keep things simple so it's not too much to redraw them over and over. Also does anyone have any suggestions in making a digital comic? I think Paint will be too blocky. For this picture I actually drew it on my 3DS (Which is why the photo isn't cropped), but the program lacks a lot of tools like copy and paste (So I can just edit their faces or poses and minimilise redrawing!) and I'd also like to add some colour.

Grok

FireAlpaca would work nicely for doing that.

Set correction to about 10 and you will get nice smoth lines.

It comes with some templets form comics page, but not for strips. But you can set one up for that yourself.

you got layers and you could quite easily  store a library of standard images in one or more layers from which you could cut and paste into your strip.

ctrl+t (transform) is a handy tool for resizing and turning selected layers or chosen areas.

For text I use Laffayette Comic Pro which I think is a nice comic book font, but there are many out there.

You would probably want a word balloon templet too.

With those things in place in a file you basically have a strip maker factory, that you could use to easily make your comic strips.

The "factory"-file you would want to have in FireAlpacas nativ format, i.e. "stripFactory.mdp" and the strips you would save as png, i.e.  strip1.png

One of my own comics made partly this way (it's not a strip and I don't re-use art the way suggested above)
link to comic

Eric

I like a program called MangaStudio that was recently on sale for $15, and will soon, I predict, become the comic industry standard for digital comic drawing.

ManicMatt

Downloaded Alpacathingmajig, thanks!

Manga Studio, shall check it out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk