Spaceship artstyle

Started by MisterBork, Fri 03/07/2015 20:04:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterBork

So yeah, I've been struggling in choosing a specific way to shade and color this ship. I've tried this kind of flat style but it just looks weird. What should I do? Use gradients, outlines, more realistic shading...? How can I make this ship look nicer?

NickyNyce

I think most of all, it needs to look more like a ship. Due to the top down angle, you'll have to rely on the top of the ship to give off the right details. I would spread the wings/engines out a bit further so the shape doesn't look so square. Maybe you could make the cockpit window larger too. You could also add some extra dimensions to the top of the ship so it looks a bit more 3D and not so flat.

Here's an example. I googled top down view of a space ship.

cat

When shading, you have to be aware of the light source. Then you have to look where the light will hit the ship and where shadow will be. Your ship does not have a clear lightsource and tends to have pillowshading.

Priabudiman

If its me, im going to try putting the ship on a dark background and put some circle spots around the ship and glow it, maybe use 4 spots from front,left,right,and back part of the ship. after that i will simulate some soft shadows from every spots i have to the ship.

and because i assume that the ship will be in outer space / dark. most of the lighting will be from the ship itself mainly, e.g from the windows, thrusters, blinking light, etc.

i hope you can understand what im saying, (laugh) pardon my broken english!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk