Until I Have You - A Cyberpunk Platformer

Started by Dualnames, Sun 19/07/2015 12:40:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> GAME IS RELEASED - GET IT HERE! <<
Visit the link above to find details on the completed game!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wormwood Studios Presents

Until I Have You, is a story-driven, fast-paced, retro-aesthetic platformer. Engulfed in a cyberpunk setting, sunk in 80s synth pop melodies. The game is heavily influenced by movies such as Blade Runner, Brazil, Perfect Blue, anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion, and games like Snatcher, Hotline Miami, Strider, Megaman and Canabalt.

Driving you to the edge of your seat as you hit n' run through enemies it aims to recount a thrilling story of regret, love, corruption, and things gone haywire, under the strong, vibrant neon lights of a city that just, doesn't give a damn. This is the story of the ARTIST, a talented thief, who in his attempts to quit business finds himself in a situation he can't back out from. His wife, Emily has been kidnapped to extort him. Through the acquisition of an exoskeleton, he will lead a suicide mission to get his wife back. The catch is while the exoskeleton offers him all this power, it comes with a cost. Hallucinations, caused by the use of the suit, have a dominant role in the game, as they slowly create a trippy/dreamy world engulfing the player, making them unable to separate real life and dream.

How much of himself is he willing to sacrifice to get her back?

"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."

Always feeling that games have gone too soft on us, we're attempting to create a game that rewards character skill and allows you to exploit the game mechanics and physics based on this fact. The possibilities are practically endless, provided you can execute them. Also, we've decided to limit the weapons of the game on usefulness rather than ammunition. So that means while there's no limit to how many times you can shoot a weapon, it doesn't mean that you should, or that it's overpowerered. We've balanced things through circumstances, not by cheaply removing ammo.

FEATURES:

• A game that evolves as you progress, passively increasing your ability to play it.
  • A unique interface, but also offering full keyboard and controller support (for those that don't have a mouse, or prefer to play the game differently)
  • 12 Chapters planned, each chapter being consisted by 5 stages. So in total: 12 boss fights - 60 levels.
  • Strong atmosphere.
  • Cinematic cutscenes.
  • An arsenal of futuristic weapons
  • 16-BIT Era Graphics blended with various visual effects
  • Parallax Scrolling beyond your wildest dreams.
  • Rich and Diverse Soundtrack

RELEASE DATE:

We're under contract with Digital Tribe Games, and so, the release is set around April of 2016.

TEAM:

James Spanos - Programming, Music, Design

"I've worked on several games most famously known for The Cat Lady, where I coded the interface, Downfall, where I fixed the interface, and Primordia, where I coded the entire game, plus the interface. I've been a huge fan of games such as Megaman, Strider and always wanted to built a platformer that deviates from the norm and gives the ability to the player to perform extraordinary stunts and tricks, if he masters the controls, and that it should feel limitless, as if he's bending the world to accommodate his skill. That is why I've started working on this with Andrea Ferrara. We share our passion for challenging games, and old school graphics."

Andrea Ferrara - Graphics, Design

"Before becoming an active member of the Adventure Game Studio community I used to work alone on games; writing, programming and making the art. I worked on a couple of indie adventure games released as freeware that became quite well known in the net, such as “Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor”. When a couple of months ago James showed me a very early WIP of “Until I Have You” (made with placeholder graphics), I instantly realized the huge potential of that game and told James "you just have to let me make the graphics for this!".

For more screenshots, you can check our website, which is rather under construction.

http://www.untilihaveyou.com

And follow me or andrea on Twitter.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AnasAbdin

Wow! This is awesome :-D The title, the idea.. the graphics! Everything 8-)
I don't expect anything less than perfect from you two.

LostTrainDude

Must... Contain... The hype...

Great news guys :D Best of luck with the rest of the development!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Stupot

I won't lie. This looks absolutely fucking amazing.

selmiak

awesome news! This looks so (almost) finished, why april 2016? Please rename yourselfs to AugustSkies then...

Dualnames

@AnasAbdin: <3 Thanks, I have to say Andrea is one of the finest guys to collaborate with.
@LostTrainDude: ^_^
@selmiak: We want to deliver the best game possible, honestly. We are currently on the beginning of chapter 10, and it takes about 1 month or so per chapter. Both me and Andrea, don't want to rush things and get this out, just to get the game out. We've put so many hours on this game, it'd be stupid not to spent time polishing and re-fining things.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AprilSkies

Thanks a lot guys ^^

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 19/07/2015 14:18:40
awesome news! This looks so (almost) finished, why april 2016? Please rename yourselfs to AugustSkies then...
ROFL! But I should also add the year to avoid confusion :P

www.apemarina.altervista.org

qptain Nemo

While hardcore platformers aren't exactly my thing, I love Dualnames' sense of style and imagination and I'm very excited to see the final result of my dear friend's project. :) I'm watching the development of this game with a lot of interest. I'd wish some luck but with these determination and skill those guys don't need it.

kconan

MiteWiseacreLives!

Right on, Duelie!!(and Augusto Skywalker) Glad to see a thread on this  :-D
As you push AGS to the limits, I think it would be an epic gesture of you to post a few tips on how to build an action game like this. Setting up hit detection and any kind of physics is a real feat, well if you'd seen my hack job attempts you'd understand  ;)
Keep the updates coming you two!

Dualnames

@qptain_nemo: Awwwwww <3 That support goes so appreciated.
@kconan: ^__^
@MiteWiseacreLives: Several stuff, I've gathered from personal experience, others from articles, tutorials, videos, you name it. An awful lot is observation and implementation of said observation. I wouldn't mind doing a post-mortem or sharing code snippets at all.

Chicky

This looks absolutely fan-doosey-dastic! I made that word up but I assure you it's the topdog of fantastic based words. The gif's on your website are insane,the Carnival parallax thingy is like eye drugs. Will we be able to play with a gamepad this time? I sucked with the mouse.

Seems you've both made a crazy amount of progress since MAGS, that alone is really impressive. :)

shaun9991

have been following this all the way on twitter - amazing work. gorgeous stuff, you legends!!!!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Dualnames

@Chicky: Yeah, gamepad and controller are available, so you can switch to them, and forget about the mouse. :P
@Shaun1991: I can't say how much of a great person Shaun is on twitter, guys, this guy has shown me and everyone he can so much support <3

Midian Design

[delete}

magnifique

xil

Looks fantastic guys, is it going to be released in a 'Tell Tale' format, or are the 12 planned chapters planned to be released at the same time?
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Fitz

Holy shiznit, how the hell did I miss this? It not only looks amazing (seriously, the graphics make me gasp in awe -- and weep in shame over my own artistic ineptitude), it also promises to be a lot of things that I'm looking for in a game. I love me some cyberpunk, I love the 80's -- and I love Hotline Miami! I really like the idea of the setting getting more trippy as the hero descends into hallucinatory madness. That's what I loved about the first part of HM (and was ultimately disappointed in how bland the ultimate explanation was). Also, do you have a musician in mind for the project or are you going to license tracks like Dennaton did for HM? One that instantly comes to mind for me is this -- always made me think of some techno version of Castlevania.

Dualnames

@xil: The 12 chapters are going to be released on the first release, probably will plan more later, depending on the reception.
@Elephant: Thanks Amelie <3
@Midian Design: Why, thank you sir.
@CaptainD: <3

@Fitz: Whilst, it begun, as heavily inspired by HM, I've tried to deviate (in a good way) from the norm of the first game. I thought a lot about licensing tracks to be honest, but I've tried to get ahold of two tracks, and they're a bit quiet about it, so I gave up on that idea 6-7 months ago, so I ended up working on the music myself.

Some tracks:
Main Menu song
Some chapter's song, i don't recall where this one is used exactly. :P
Not the official trailer yet, this is some draft we're pondering about (it features the song in the link above)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk