Background: Arizona scene

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Tue 21/07/2015 16:12:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Hi all,

what you'll see below is the concept for a new background. It's only meant to work on the perspective and the scene composition.

[imgzoom]http://40.media.tumblr.com/5a97163640f97da6088708420ea8f1fd/tumblr_nrt8r445011tsfksfo1_1280.png[/imgzoom]

The important bits are:
- The hotel, right in the middle. One must be able to see that it's an important building.
- The fience on the right. It doesn't have to be a fience, just some close-up vertical surface against which an old guy (Indian) can sit, and the main character can walk close to it.
- The path to the mountains, on the right
- The fact that the "left part" of the scene (hotel+car+church) fits in 320x200 and is self-sufficient. The right part of the scene becomes visible when the character walks to the right.

All the rest is bullshit and only meant to make the scene come alive.
Come to think of it, I should turn the foreground black wooden shit into a parallax.

I'm a bit annoyed because I don't know how to occupy the space between the foreground black pole and the fience (that big gray bit of road is kind of empty).

Blondbraid

I like the perspective on this picture, though
the area on the right is a bit of a mess in my opinion. It's hard to make out the angle of the
fence and the wooden things around it, is it supposed to be some kind of porch?
As of that big gray bit of road, maybe some cracks or a water puddle?
Perhaps a parked car or bicycle could fill it up, but it could also
make the scene a bit cluttered. When it comes to the hotel, it already
gets the viewers attention by being in the middle of the picture and taking up
a lot of space, but you can always add a big sign over the entrance or something similar.

[delete}

That's a great collage technique you use for pre-production, Mathieu.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 21/07/2015 16:42:25
the area on the right is a bit of a mess in my opinion. It's hard to make out the angle of the
fence and the wooden things around it, is it supposed to be some kind of porch?
It' supposed to be some sort of Art-Deco decorative/advertising porch, yes.
Indeed it's messy.
I think the perspective will be easier to grasp when the objects are properly connected to the ground and when there's the guy for scale.

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 21/07/2015 16:42:25
water puddle? parked car? bicycle?
No puddle in Arizona... However yes, a bicycle could be a good idea. I was thinking of putting a tram there but it would look stupid not moving.

Quote from: Eléphant on Tue 21/07/2015 17:01:04
Whoohoo, it'll be the summer of Indy!  :-*
Not sure about that ;) But working on it.

Monsieur OUXX

Oh, I've just had an idea. Maybe I can turn the building on the right into a gas station.

selmiak

Are we seeing this from inside of a diner? That's a cool idea.
the only logical consequence is to make the diner look like nighthaws from the other side!

Eric

I also like the view from the windowed interior, and how it splits the scene nicely.

I think your stand-in car on the left might be just a bit too small. Otherwise, I like the look of this a lot. I don't know that you need to fill that space. Some empty space will make the other parts of the background more interesting.

Monsieur OUXX

To be perfectly honest it's not seen from inside, more from something like that : http://www.theantiqueregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/frontporch1.jpg
But hey, that's a good idea, I'll keep that in mind. I don't want it to look it weird if I don't add reflections on the glass.

PS: yes, the car is too small, I've noticed it the next day, after giving it a rest. The nanoying thing is that if I scale it up it will hide the street arrival, hence making the city's set (at the foot of the hills) less clear.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... clicking on your link as redirected me to a sex site...>:(???:(
Don't know if it's my tablet or something else that's fishy... :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Frikker

I got the sex site too wayhaa.... i mean boo!
mobile juicy ads or something like that, I closed it before it got carried away but thats what I saw.

[delete}

Dear Cassiebsg and Frikker, why not join this wonderful yet ambitious Indiana Jones-project?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Am�lie on Sat 25/07/2015 11:39:51
Dear Cassiebsg and Frikker, why not join this wonderful yet ambitious Indiana Jones-project?

+1

Frikker

aha :) are you looking for help? If so then what field? Im more arty than computer programmy , not got much free time but always happy to help when And If I can.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk