OROW 9 - *Winner(s) announced!*

Started by Bulbapuck, Sun 16/08/2015 13:06:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

I'm pretty sure one of those rooms has a cellar to store all the extra MBs. Only possible explanation.

Also, I played them games. Played them all. And you know what, you guys are awesome, ALL of you.

Bulbapuck

I set up a google doc for voting this morning :)

*Vote here*

now to play some games :grin:

EDIT: Voting will take one week, so it will end at midnight GMT betweent the 6th and 7th of September.

EDIT2: If any author wants to make a post relating to their game, send me a PM and I'll relay the message to this thread.

selmiak

I'm halfways through the games pile and having lots of fun! ;-D

Creamy

QuoteThanks Creamy for doing an excellent job on ***** ******** ***** and the ***** was particularly spectacular.
Glad you like my homebrew cider. The secret is to use moldy apples.
And hell yeah, this giant banana ride was something to see.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Can we break this download into a couple packs?
I've tried 3 times and it keeps failing half way through.

Peder 🚀

Ponch

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 31/08/2015 15:45:50
Canadian internet, eh? Polar bears chewin' on the lines, probably. :wink:

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 31/08/2015 21:12:29
Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Mon 31/08/2015 15:45:50
Canadian internet, eh? Polar bears chewin' on the lines, probably. :wink:
I've been waiting all weekend for the telegraph installer to show up and run a new line into my igloo! I think maybe his dog-sled broke down?? I hope the polar bears don't get him too 8-0
That's why I have a really mean guard beaver (nod)

Bulbapuck

From the author of The Quiet Game:

I hope all of you enjoyed Odysseus, the tyrant baby of dimension G-36

LimpingFish

Some good stuff came out of this OROW!

I'm speaking to you from the afterlife, by the way, as my corporeal shell disintegrated during a particular hectic attempt to complete my entry before the deadline.

I hope they have good internet here. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

I've played two of them this morning and written little mini-reviews (mainly to help me judge a favourite) which I will share when I've played them all. (nod)

SilverSpook

I've played and voted!  Lot of really excellent entries here, definitely had fun with all of them!  Finished all but two, and I spent about an hour on those collectively.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 01/09/2015 03:14:01
I've played two of them this morning and written little mini-reviews (mainly to help me judge a favourite) which I will share when I've played them all. (nod)

I'm right with you there bro!

I've also been writing reviews of each game and going to post them now that I've finished the whole batch (more or less):

All my STAR ratings are out of a possible maximum of 5 STARS:

SPOILERS WARNING!!! DO NOT OPEN ANY HIDDEN SECTIONS UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAME ALREADY OR DO NOT PLAN TO AT ALL:

Alien Escapades:

Spoiler

The game just looks AMAZING! And the curving effect on the asteroid you are on is simply wonderous! BUT the author did not stop there:

The walkcycle of the main character with his alien biology is a treat to watch...and thank god for that because the player is going to be watching it a LOT as you try to figure out what you are supposed to be doing...

Which is hindered by the fact that you can hardly understand what the characters are saying...As a native english speaker I could only figure out about half of what was being said...So the game might be unplayable for non native english speakers...

BUT...I do like the intrigue the game introduces in that you, as the player, are trying to figure out what the aliens are saying...This is a game mechanic I have never seen before...

Also, the nice ironic ending of the game is a great piece of story-telling...

UPDATE (AND SUPER-SPOILER WARNING!!! READ AT ONE'S OWN RISK):
Spoiler
I've just realized that this game is part of a crossover story in this OROW...Which I don't think has ever been done before in an AGS competition!!! Gotta add an extra STAR rating for that...
[close]

I rate this game: 4 STARS (BUT +1 DUE TO THE HIDDEN THINGY ABOVE WHICH IS A SUPER-SPOILER SO VIEW AT ONE'S OWN RISK!!!) SO:
5 STARS
[close]

Cornelius Cat in The Uncontrollable Pest:

Spoiler

When I tried running this game in its default configuration nothing made sense...

But the game seemed interesting enough that I went back and changed the graphics setting and suddenly it all worked...

And thank god for that because this game was great!

The author even managed to get around not having the time to code two following characters at a time with story points that totally made sense...

The puppet-theatre setting and the actual sets made and photographed adds so much charm to this project...

And the final reveal, while predictable, is still very satisfying...

I rate this game: 3 STARS
[close]

Crash CourseRC1:

Spoiler

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

One of the funniest games of the competition and also I believe the first ever:

SUPER-SPOILER BELOW...VIEW AT OWN RISK!!!
Spoiler
Crossover episodes in an AGS games competition
[close]

I'm pretty sure I know who is behind it and am going to message them right now congratulating them on what they pulled off!!!

This is going to go down in AGS history!!!
I rate this game: 4 STARS (BUT +1 DUE TO THE HIDDEN THINGY ABOVE WHICH IS A SUPER-SPOILER SO VIEW AT ONE'S OWN RISK!!! SO:
5 STARS

[close]

Dislocation:

Spoiler

I love the look of this game and the interplay between the two characters.

I feel there was supposed to be a lot more story to the game, but in the end it just could not get completed.

The game actually crashes at the end and I had to look through threads to find out that this is the way it actually ends...

I hope this game gets developed more and gets a full finished release as I was so invested in solving the mystery...

I rate this game: 2 STARS
[close]

FlopHouse:

Spoiler

OMG...Just WOW!!!

THIS game is amazing!!! I can pretty easily guess who made this game and I must say that every single talent of each member shines through in the finished product!

I did encounter several bugs while playing the game that made me have to restart but I honestly did not care...I just wanted to restart as fast as possible and see what would happen to our two extremely well fleshed out characters...

I'm going to play this game several more times just to find all the secrets and different endings...

But dev guy(s): Please either turn off the f5 to save game or provide a load game button as that drove me crazy!

I rate this game: 5 STARS
[close]

Hybrid:

Spoiler

A very strong release. The retro-adventure game graphics style is a HUGE plus.

The story gets disturbing very fast once you figure out what it is you are supposed to be doing and the gore factor grows and grows which might leave some players disconnected from the story and thinking "I don't actually want to be doing this..."

But not me!!! I personally slice open monkeys' heads and scoop out their brains as a hobby so I could totally identify with the main character!!!

I rate this game: 4 STARS
[close]

Rogered:

Spoiler

Hmmmmm...I'm on the fence about this entry...3 stars or 2?

I found a lot of the gameplay quite directionless and it took me a long time to actually figure out what I was supposed to be doing.

Once I actually found my "guide" through much trial and error I was then presented with a quest that took me much wandering around to find the goal. And even then I was not that satisfied with having found it as it seemed quite a random pixel hunt.

But then I actually started getting invested in beating the game and my "douche" of a guide. I guess the game annoyed me to just the right level that I wanted to crush it by winning.

I'm glad I did finally beat the game and enjoyed its meta qualities quite a bit...

But in the end, a lack of polish and a rushed feel on what could be developed into a really interesting gaming experience pushed my final score to:

I rate this game: 2 STARS
[close]

Sunrise Paradise:

Spoiler

I found this game to be a very nice interactive graphic novel which I believe was the intention of the author.

I really cared about the main character mostly because of the gorgeous detail put into her facial expressions throughout every stage of the game...

I laughed when I got the foil-wrapped papers and enjoyed the choice of how to use either that or the other more obvious thing...The former was the more fun!!!

I felt there was much more of a world awaiting our heroine that could not be fully described in the space of one week.

I need more!!!

I rate this game: 4 STARS
[close]

The Quiet Game:

Spoiler

The voice acting!

THE VOICE ACTING!!!

It's soooooo funny and the characters that the voices are coming from are soooo fitting!!!

That being said: The lack of any way to control the game settings meant that I was forced to play the game in fullscreen and in a size outside of what my crappy old computer could handle.

This meant that I could only spring a few of the traps in time. And also I had bugs when clicking on the dog and the birds where the main character reverts to the default AGS reply of "I don't want to have that" and then the game cannot progress...

But I did remember what to do and what not to do and played the game through to the end. And I was totally charmed by the last bit of audio where you hear the game devs just laughing about the whole thing...SO:

I rate this game: 3 STARS
[close]

UNCONTROLLED:

Spoiler

It made me laugh and the animation was really good so:

I rate this "game": 2 STARS
[close]

So finally I have:
Spoiler
3 games rated at 5 STARS...

Time to vote I guess...

It's ripping my soul in two but I know which one I must vote for at the end of the day...

EDIT: Ah...now that I have seen the voting structure it makes it much easier to deal with...And I have made peace with my conscience...

VOTED!!!
[close]

Bulbapuck

@Mandle from the maker of crash course:

Spoiler
You can move the 5 of diamonds to the empty spot on the table.
From there the game will move on.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Wed 02/09/2015 12:28:04
@Mandle from the maker of crash course:

Spoiler
You can move the 5 of diamonds to the empty spot on the table.
From there the game will move on.
[close]

Ahhhhhh....I will go play it now then!!!

EDIT: Above post updated!!!

Bulbapuck

@Mandle from maker of Cornelis Cat:

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 02/09/2015 10:54:52
Cornelius Cat in The Uncontrollable Pest:
When I tried running this game in its default configuration nothing made sense...
But the game seemed interesting enough that I went back and changed the graphics setting and suddenly it all worked...

I tried the game on 3 different PCs and it worked on all of them. Could you ask Mandle what problems he had with the graphics and how he was able to solve the problem? This might be helpful to other players.

@Mandle from the maker of Rogered:

yeah I realized the shortcomings but only had one day to make the game in so I just decided to go for it so I would finaly be able to say that I had actualy released a game and it was even a OROW!!1!!111!!one!!!1

Mandle

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Wed 02/09/2015 14:19:23
@Mandle from maker of Cornelis Cat:

I tried the game on 3 different PCs and it worked on all of them. Could you ask Mandle what problems he had with the graphics and how he was able to solve the problem? This might be helpful to other players.

yeah I realized the shortcomings but only had one day to make the game in so I just decided to go for it so I would finaly be able to say that I had actualy released a game and it was even a OROW!!1!!111!!one!!!1

@ Cornelis Cat author: I switched the graphics driver option to the other one...I forgot which is which right now but whichever the default was: It made the game unplayable on my system...All the graphics were in the wrong place and there were huge black gaps between the house area and the cornfield area...All the hotspots did not line up with what they were supposed to be...Mind you, I am playing on a very old computer so I think that might be the problem. My first experience with the broken game on my end is not reflected in my final score of the game...It is a great game and I would be very interested in hearing the backstory of how it was created once your identity can be revealed (although I think I might know who you are...)

@ Rogered author: So wait, what? You made the game in just one day? So it was more a OROD than a OROW thing for you? That is an impressive achievement on its own and shows quite a bit of bravery in submitting the game when you knew you were going up against folks that had worked on their entries for the whole week.

Bulbapuck

I wouldn't realy say I was brave just more wanting to get a game release out there than anything else realy but thanks for the kudos and it just realy makes me feel good that people have played my game even if they only finished it because it annoyed then enough (laugh)

yamipanda

Played through all of the games yesterday. Team Awesome sure has some worthy competition. :cool:

Stupot

My 'reviews' aren't quite as detailed as yours, Mandle. Mine are more bullet point notes with a little scoring system. 4 more to play which I should hopefully get done this morning :-)

Re: Cornelius Cat
Spoiler

It also looked funny on my screen when I ran it on it's default setting. It came up in a box and I noticed that the speech texts was going off to the side. It was only when I switched to 'match my screen' mode (or something) I saw the outer parts of the screen, including the puppet theatre border. So it seems that the 'windowed mode' was simply showing a windowed-off section of the whole image rather than a smaller version of it.
[close]
If that makes sense (if not, I can give a screenshot a but later.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk