Sniper and Spotter Being Patriotic

Started by Blondbraid, Fri 21/08/2015 10:11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

...and now I'm really curious about the puzzle(s) in this room ??? :~( (nod)
Is someone hiding in the box?
Someone behind the door?
What broke the metal railing?

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 05/01/2016 19:10:04
...and now I'm really curious about the puzzle(s) in this room ??? :~( (nod)
Is someone hiding in the box?
Someone behind the door?
What broke the metal railing?
Good questions indeed, and I'm afraid to admit that I don't know the answers to the myself! :-[
I can however promise you that the puzzle will be a very patriotic one indeed, although the
screenshot didn't include two things decorating the wall which the sniper picked up...;)

SilverSpook

Yeah, that's very intriguing, and looks really great too!  I wonder what the banner says...

Kumpel

Seems to be an anniversary banner or something with "Tarko/a" or "Marko/a" (town name maybe?) and the abbrevation of the soviet republics (CCCP). ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 07/01/2016 12:39:08
Seems to be an anniversary banner or something with "Tarko/a" or "Marko/a" (town name maybe?) and the abbrevation of the soviet republics (CCCP). ;)
It's supposed to say "Marx", as in Karl Marx, the founder of communism, but I'm not sure if all the letters right since I don't know Russian or Cyrillic.

Kumpel

Now that makes totally sense! Maybe you should leave a red area between the c and the fold to make that clearer. I actually didn't think of "Marx" because the Marx of the soviets has been Lenin ;). Marx was more an idol of the former GDR.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 07/01/2016 15:06:34
Now that makes totally sense! Maybe you should leave a red area between the c and the fold to make that clearer. I actually didn't think of "Marx" because the Marx of the soviets has been Lenin ;). Marx was more an idol of the former GDR.
Better? I was worried that trying to draw letters partially warped by the flag folds might make them hard to read.

And reading your comment, I do realize that Marx might not have been the most relevant choice, what with being a German who had been dead for decades before the revolution even started, but I thought it would bring some fun variation as there will be a puzzle centered on finding a giant Lenin statue. ;)

Cassiebsg

a puzzle centered on finding a giant Lenin statue.

Uhm... one would think a giant statue should not require a puzzle to be found. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Darth Mandarb

Please take the graphical discussions into the Critics Lounge so we can keep this thread on track!

Blondbraid

QuotePlease take the graphical discussions into the Critics Lounge so we can keep this thread on track!
Yes, and this feels especially dumb since I already started a thread about this game in the Critics Lounge months ago! :-[

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 07/01/2016 17:51:54
Uhm... one would think a giant statue should not require a puzzle to be found. (laugh)
Yes, and especially so since the protagonist is a spotter, it's literally his job to scope out the surroundings! ;)

As for the development of the actual game, today I took up work on writing a dialogue-puzzle involving the said statue, and while it may not yield any exiting new images to post, it's progress none the less.

Blondbraid

I have finally completed the dialog-puzzle I was working on as well as finished a new background, it took me a couple of hours.
Here is the spotter alongside Maria, whom he must ask for directions towards the Lenin statue.

And I've also included a second screenshot for those who doesn't mind minor spoilers! ;)
Spoiler
Maria and the spotter discusses desertion and the fact that a deserter risks having his family punished if he deserts...
[close]

Rocchinator

I love the combination of the different artstyles between the backgrounds and the characters. All the characters have very expressive expresións lol. You nailed That . this is going to be so fun to play.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Rocchinator on Wed 13/01/2016 11:37:51
I love the combination of the different artstyles between the backgrounds and the characters. All the characters have very expressive expresións lol. You nailed That . this is going to be so fun to play.
Thank you! I certainly hope that this game will live up to everyone's expectations once I have finished my work on it, I currently estimate that it's about 75% complete, though it may depend on weather I decide to cut or add a few things I've not quite decided on. :)

Cassiebsg

I know this is not the critics lounge, so please excuse the little comment about Maria...
Spoiler

His nose is rather thin drawn, but right under it you have a big black spot. I can't, for the life of me, not see a "Hitler" mustache there... (roll)(laugh)
Maybe you might want to review that particular spot, otherwise you run the risk of many players already identifying the character as male at first glance.
Or maybe it's just me? (roll)
[close]

Anyway, love the BG and the text is spot on, made me smile. ;-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 13/01/2016 16:42:57
I know this is not the critics lounge, so please excuse the little comment about Maria...

No problem, I guess I could post a link to the critics lounge tread here the next time I make new character sprites. I'm just happy to see that my game has got people invested and I do think you were right in your comment, and I have made changes accordingly. (roll)

AnasAbdin

Lol now that Cassiebsg mentioned it I also can't not see it :P

I view your screenshots every once in while to get inspired by your characters. They are very.. hmm.. alive? Sometimes I feel they are talking to me.
I need to sleep.

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 14/01/2016 07:04:13
I view your screenshots every once in while to get inspired by your characters. They are very.. hmm.. alive? Sometimes I feel they are talking to me.
I need to sleep.
I sure had a lot of fun drawing and writing those characters, but I don't really start with a full idea, but rather a few details and let it branch out from there. I'm also fascinated by psychology and I often try to ask myself what a character would think or do based on their experiences and personality. Sometimes I have my characters do things or have opinions that I don't agree with, but which are logical to them and their personality. I also take some of my inspiration from classic litterature and real-life history. That, and tvtropes.org. ;)

Blondbraid

I have started working on concepts for a new character design!

If anyone is interested in sharing their thoughts, here is a link to the critics lounge. (You may have to scroll down a bit...)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52409.40

Blondbraid

I drew a new background yesterday, a basement hastily reconverted into a makeshift asylum for injured soldiers to get their wounds cared for until they can be transported to a proper field-hospital. If they aren't in need for hospital care when they enter this room, they in all likelihood will be after lying on those mattresses.:-X

I may have gotten carried away drawing grime and blood stains... (roll)

On a different note, I made some new images of the character design in the critics lounge. In case you missed, just follow the link in my previous entry!

SilverSpook

Looks awesome!  The mood is spot on and the bloody thing in the bottom left makes it really tense.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk