Sniper and Spotter Being Patriotic

Started by Blondbraid, Fri 21/08/2015 10:11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 20/03/2016 11:11:05
Wow, that background is incredible. I wish I could draw backgrounds that good.
Thank you!
It took me a while to make this background, but I often find that drawing small things repeatedly can have a calming, almost meditative effect after a while. Well, at least until I suddenly discover that I just spent hours working on the wrong layer in Photoshop and need to rework half the image. But apart form such missteps, drawing can be a fun and relaxing experience! :)

Kumpel

You say "Commandos" and once again I instantly fall in love with your project forever!
I am excited to see how you visualize that the player is in an enemy crosshair. Will it be like in Commandos with a cool shaky animation of the scope's view in front of the character or will you surprise us with another ingenious idea? Or is it actually realistic and you get hit all of a sudden? I sure wanna know that, ideally while experiencing this neat game in the (hopefully very) near future 8-0

Blondbraid

Quote from: Kumpel on Sun 20/03/2016 13:51:42
You say "Commandos" and once again I instantly fall in love with your project forever!
I am excited to see how you visualize that the player is in an enemy crosshair. Will it be like in Commandos with a cool shaky animation of the scope's view in front of the character or will you surprise us with another ingenious idea? Or is it actually realistic and you get hit all of a sudden? I sure wanna know that, ideally while experiencing this neat game in the (hopefully very) near future 8-0
I'm happy to hear that! ;-D If you are curious about more details regarding the gameplay,
Spoiler
The actual game-play mechanic is rather simple as you must click on the enemy snipers when you see them, and then your sniper companion will shoot them. Rather than lining up crosshairs, the challenge lies in seeing the enemies in a large landscape full of ruins and clicking on them before you accidentally walk too close and get shot. You can actually see one German sniper in the screenshot!
[close]
Another game which has inspired me is La Croix Pan which I found on this site years ago. It has a quite good sniping sequence as well as an interesting atmosphere and depiction of WWII.

Danvzare

Because I'm asking about something you put in spoiler tags, I'm going to put my question in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
You say you need to look for and click on the enemy snipers, thus creating a Where's Wally type of gameplay. But won't that be really easy with how the sprites pop out from the background?
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 20/03/2016 17:01:14
Because I'm asking about something you put in spoiler tags, I'm going to put my question in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
You say you need to look for and click on the enemy snipers, thus creating a Where's Wally type of gameplay. But won't that be really easy with how the sprites pop out from the background?
[close]
You have a good point, I suppose I didn't want to make it too hard seeing as it may take a few tries for the players to figure out what to do. I do however think that this and similar issues wold be better suited for the critic's lounge, and I already have a thread there devoted to this game. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52409.0;all If I make any new sprites for the characters, I'll put them there! :)

Kumpel

Maybe you heard of it. If not, there is a new movie about a red army female sniper. Could be a good inspiration for you :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Kumpel on Tue 22/03/2016 10:34:40
Maybe you heard of it. If not, there is a new movie about a red army female sniper. Could be a good inspiration for you :)
Great to see that Lyudmila Pavlichenko finally have her own movie! I've read a bit about her and she has served as a source of inspiration for the sniper in my game. Thank you so much for this tip, it sound like an exciting movie! ;-D

Blondbraid

New screenshot!

The church sadly suffered quite a few damages in the war...
As for the two characters depicted to the left and right in the glass widows, I just thought that it would be fun to throw in a small reference my two previous games! :)

AnasAbdin

I see a little more colors showing in this awesome background ;-D

Blondbraid

Just came up with a new character concept! ;-D

If anyone is curious, follow the link to the critic's lounge!
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52409.40

Blondbraid

I've added a new tapestry to the church, since few things cannot be improved with a nice tapestry!
Spoiler
And I also wanted to keep those who didn't see my previous screenshot on their toes and make them have to look for the door! ;)
[close]

I also thought it would be fun to include an old sketch of the church for comparison now that I've come so far. As you can see it looked a little bit different back then! (roll) This was one of the first sketches I made for the game, way back in August. Even though most of the game were made up as I went along, I knew from the start that I wanted the ending to take place atop a church tower. Partially because it's a tried and true storytelling device used in many beloved stories, and partially because I wanted a room which wasn't soviet-grey concrete, but an area where I could really indulge myself in covering all the walls in byzantine intricacies! ;-D (for those interested in that sort of things, I really recommend checking out the works of Nicholas Roerich, a most inspiring artist!)

Making this game hasn't been a completely straight road, but with some luck I might finally complete it this spring! ;-D

Blondbraid

Just spent quite som time and a lot of work drawing this.
I'd never guessed that drawing stairs could be almost as tiresome as climbing them! :)

I also made a new sprite for the character in the concept, if anyone wants to see and comment, follow the link below.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52409.60

Blondbraid

I'm about to begin working on the ending cut-scene, as well as working on a new character (the antagonist whom the titular sniper and spotter has pursued for the bulk of the game no less!). If you want to see a picture and come with suggestions, follow this link to the critic's lounge! http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52409.60 :)

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 18/04/2016 21:17:18
Just spent quite som time and a lot of work drawing this.
I'd never guessed that drawing stairs could be almost as tiresome as climbing them! :)

I agree. But I see that you've done awesome work. Is this an in-game room? 8-0

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Fri 22/04/2016 17:09:20
I agree. But I see that you've done awesome work. Is this an in-game room? 8-0
Thank you. ;-D
Nope, this is just an image that pops up for a few seconds when you transit between two rooms to really empathize the point that you are ascending a tower.
I think it would probably be a lot of work to make it a playable room, and even then, it's hard to make climbing long narrow stairs interesting game-play wise (unless it's a platform game or likewise, but this game isn't). :-\

Blondbraid

After a lot of work the game is now playable from start to finish! Pretty much all of the puzzles, backgrounds and character sprites are complete and there are no game-breaking bugs (only a few immersion-breaking ones, but I'll work on that!)! Otherwise the game is almost finished save a bit of polish, and I shall hopefully be able to release it next month!!! ;-D

(No, this picture doesn't actually appear in the game, but I thought it would be funny to try and capture the bright cheerfulness of communist propaganda. For some reason all the bright stars just make me think of Lisa Frank though...(roll) )

Cassiebsg

Cool! Can't wait to play this! (nod)
love the propaganda picture.. as well as all your art!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CrashPL

Oh yeah, that's some great news! Can't wait to play it as well! :D
This picture would be grand for the main menu or credits sequence. :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 27/04/2016 21:16:23
Cool! Can't wait to play this! (nod)
love the propaganda picture.. as well as all your art!
Thank you! ;-D
Quote from: CrashPL on Wed 27/04/2016 22:14:15
Oh yeah, that's some great news! Can't wait to play it as well! :D
This picture would be grand for the main menu or credits sequence. :)
Thanks! Although I'm a bit worried that the GUI and buttons might get a bit "lost" in the bright colors, it's certainly an idea I'm exploring.
I'm so happy for all the positive response in this thread and it's been a huge motivation to finish this game. It's close now, I promise! ;-D

Blondbraid

Happy International worker's day everybody! :)
I've added some new sounds and animations, and plan to add more so that you will be able to see both the main characters walk in eight different directions!
I have worked for so long on this game, and now I hope I will be able to release it within eight or nine days.
While you wait, here is a GIF of the spotter using a knife.

Yeah, he'll never be a master woodcarver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk