Started by Grok, Wed 22/07/2015 20:16:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

Hendrix Island

Now with a save and load function

F5 to open save menu
F7 to open load saved game menu

My entry to MAGS july 2015

Hendrix needs to solve a couple of puzzles to be able to get his boat back. This will take him to different parts of the Island.

Download as zip-file zip link

Download as setup file with installer installer link

Cassiebsg

Nice one Grok! I'm still stuck, though now at a different point...
Spoiler

Something about changing perspective... (roll)
[close]

Anyway to save?? Would hate to have to start all over again, again...

Little tip to those playing on Android: Make sure you have both apk installed, you will need the one that adds a three horizontal dots next to the 'apps button', so you can toggle the keyboard and type.
Don't play on a tablet if you can't get the keyboard forward!!!!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grok

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 22/07/2015 20:50:58
I'm still stuck, though now at a different point...

Yes that is the most tricky part. Possibly even a bit unfair. :)

Spoiler
You can reach the book from a point where you would not think it to be possible from one type of perspective, but quit possible if you look at it from another perspective. Also remember the oracle's words about persistence. It is necessary to try and fail a number of times before it can be done. That would be the possibly unfair part.
[close]

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 22/07/2015 20:50:58
Anyway to save?? Would hate to have to start all over again, again...

So sorry. I thought this was such a short little thing, that is fast to play through when the puzzles are solved, so that there would not be a need for a save function. That might have been a mistake.:-[

Shadow1000

Wow...it's Jimi! I gotta play this one!

Edited: That was fun! I completed it with little difficulty. Lovely graphics and cute puzzles. I couldn't figure out how to play it in fullscreen mode. Fullscreen gave me these weird squares in the corners. What did I do wrong?

SHADOW

Grok

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 22/07/2015 23:10:11
Wow...it's Jimi! I gotta play this one!

Edited: That was fun! I completed it with little difficulty. Lovely graphics and cute puzzles. I couldn't figure out how to play it in fullscreen mode. Fullscreen gave me these weird squares in the corners. What did I do wrong?

SHADOW

Glad to hear you had fun. :D

On the full-screen thing, you could try to change the graphic filter in the setup. I think that will fix it.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Grok on Fri 24/07/2015 06:20:33

On the full-screen thing, you could try to change the graphic filter in the setup. I think that will fix it.

There are 15 of them. Which one is the intended one? Did you design and test the game in full screen? If so, which one did you use?

I did play around a bit and it makes the corner squares smaller and the play area larger but most games just work correctly in fullscreen mode.

SHADOW

Hobo

I had some difficulties with the same puzzle as Cassiebsg and would have also appreciated a save option.
The game could use a bit of additional polish, but otherwise it's a neat MAGS entry. Good job! Eagerly waiting for Jacqueline White.

Spoiler
By the way, you left the debbuger on.
[close]

Grok

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 24/07/2015 14:50:35

There are 15 of them. Which one is the intended one? Did you design and test the game in full screen? If so, which one did you use?

I've designed the game in windowed mode, which is the mode that I prefer. I did test it in full screen mode. With 2x nearest neighbor it worked fine for me. I'm not knowledgeable enough about the technical side of fullscreen to have an answer to how those things work. I assume it might be different depending on which monitor is used (and possibly other stuff too), and that that is why there are 15 filters. But that is only my guess.

Sorry for a late reply.

Quote from: Hobo
I had some difficulties with the same puzzle as Cassiebsg and would have also appreciated a save option.
The game could use a bit of additional polish, but otherwise it's a neat MAGS entry. Good job! Eagerly waiting for Jacqueline White.

Yes, that puzzle can be difficult to get. (nod)

Thank you for the nice words.

A lesson I'll take with me from this is to include a save option.

Working on implementing a hints system for Jacqueline White right now. :)

sthomannch

Really funny! Enjoyed it, especially the dialogs

ThreeOhFour

This game made me laugh loudly, it was fun! A couple of issues with puzzles, mostly:

Spoiler
The monkey puzzle would have worked better if the phrases were put together in a grammatically correct way, I think.
[close]

Other than that, some of the stuff was very cute and interesting (particularly the wishing well stuff :cheesy:)

Thanks!

Grok

Thank you sthomannch and ThreeOhFour :)

@ Bulbapuck  I greatly appreciated the YouTube walk-through (mentioned in the competition thread) It did put a big smile on my face. :D

I thought I should make some comments about monkey grammar and some other stuff that might be somewhat interesting (or maybe not). I'll put those comments between "hide markers" as there could be a little bit of spoiler in there. Not that much though.

Spoiler

I've had a couple of comments on the monkey talk puzzle, saying that the solution is using bad grammar. Instead of "coconut give me please" it should have been i.e. "give me coconut please".

That is assuming that monkey talk use the same grammar as English, but way assuming that? Different languages have different grammatic rules such as in which order you should put together a sentence. In Japanese (and in Klingon, i believe) the word order would have been correct. So why couldn't this be correct grammar for monkey talk? :D

In the game. Hendrix will name the monkey in the tree Charlie Chan if you look at it.
Jimi Hendrix had a pet monkey named Charlie Chan in real life. (Charlie Chan being a fictional American detective of Chinese origin, based on an actual person.)

In the book shelf there is a book by the name, Electric guitars for dummies. If you try to pick it up, Hendrix will say, that he will read that some day. This indicating that he had at this point not yet learned to play the guitar. That's way he is playing the flute in the game.

For the wishes at the wishing well I had planed to have some quotes or song lyrics connected to Hendrix but I didn't find anything I thought worked very well. So instead I took lines from the song "Mercedes benz" as sung by Janis Joplin. They where contemporary, moved in the same circles and was even for some time a couple I believe.

Both sadly also members of the 27-club.

[close]

Cassiebsg

Finished a few days ago... on my PC... (laugh)
Funny though, didn't took me long to figure how to get the book once I moved to the PC. Maybe cause the game run a LOT faster than on the tablet, or cause am just more used to using a mouse to click on stuff... (roll)

Really nice little game with great humor! :-D

Some thoughts and comments with spoilers coming up next:
Spoiler

My favorite part was definitely the coconut and the angel! That cracked me up! :-D

Annoying bits: No save function! (wrong)
Oracle took long to load the dialog (am assuming the sprite was the guilty part?), and when you want to write (on paper) what to say to the monkey, the text vanished way too fast. I had to click on in at least 10 times if not more, to be able to write it down. You could have made the words a lot shorter, or make the oracle talk slower in this part. :p

Was also a bit annoyed that I had to go back to the hut and check/grab the books, to make the Oracle give me the next clue, when I already had checked every single book and knew the magic book wasn't there.

I accept your grammar explanation... in Portuguese and Latin languages that would be the proper grammar to use... so now we know that monkey talk is Latin based... ;)

Nice with all the extra bonus! :-D
[close]

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ThreeOhFour

The explanation for the monkey grammar is fine! The problem is that I needed clues to solve the puzzle, and there was no clue that the monkey talked like this in the game. It was the only puzzle in the game without a clue or a visible element to help me solve that bit, so it made it seem like an unfair puzzle among all the fair ones. :=

Gurok

I had a tough time with some of the puzzles. They were real brainteasers, but I got there in the end. This was a great game! Fun as soon as I understood what the Oracle was for.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Awesome and very funny game...Quite trippy too but that is to be expected I guess...

Loved the puzzles especially the:

Spoiler
"Change your perspective" one...I don't think I've ever seen that done before...
[close]

Great job!

Grok

Added load and save options. Same links as before for download. See the original post :)

F5 for save menu
F7 for load menu.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk