The Cold Hand Reef [MAGS AUG 2015]

Started by WHAM, Wed 02/09/2015 10:37:15

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 10/09/2015 15:54:01
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 10/09/2015 14:57:14
Quote from: WHAM on Wed 09/09/2015 09:19:04
Shadow:

The arrow buttons remaining visible is a bug, they should disappear when night falls and the bad ending cutscene is triggered. I'll fix hat one and upload a new version today.

So the reason I got that ending was because night fell and nothing I did to trigger it? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?

SHADOW

No, I'm afraid there is no way to stop the sun from setting, but you CAN escape the reef and sail away before that happens. ;)
Hey wait a minute!
There must be way more to this game than I thought..
Spoiler
I went to grab a piece of sail from the water with the gaff, then the hands took me under 8-0
So is there a bunch of game I missed out on??
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 11/09/2015 04:55:01
Spoiler
I went to grab a piece of sail from the water with the gaff, then the hands took me under 8-0
So is there a bunch of game I missed out on??
[close]

Yes...quite a bit more:

Spoiler
When the hand grabs the gaff start clicking the mouse to fight it. It's pretty easy to beat and then you can continue.
[close]

WHAM

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 11/09/2015 00:18:34
MASSIVE SPOILERS:
Spoiler

The father was trying to drown the daughter not because he wanted to kill her but because he just wanted to have her back with him, and did not realise the consequences of that until she reminded him about their (alive) life together by showing the family drawing. I guess his mind is in some kind of dreamlike state, not realising he is dead, until she snaps him out of it by showing him the drawing. (A nice allegory of parents never wanting to let go of their kids even when it's time for them to grow up and go their own ways...although this is just my own obsevation and doesn't need mentioning to kids)...

Kids will also probably ask what happened to the father character in the first place. My theory is that the drowned wife came for him because she wanted him back by her side in much the same way that he came back for the daughter later. This would be a good opportunity for discussion with children about what they imagined happened...
[close]

This is also just what I personally got from the story after a few playthroughs. Game author can confirm or deny?

You have just, pretty much verbatim, laid out the story I had written out for the game in the design doc.
It seems that I did manage to create a somewhat coherent story, despite the limitations in the tools with which to convey then.
Very good! :)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Cassiebsg

@Mandle
Spoiler

You do see the father at the end, together with the mother and "saying" that now it's just them two, no child. Thought that was somewhat sad though. :~(
so no need to guess that part. ;)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 11/09/2015 17:46:59
@Mandle
Spoiler

You do see the father at the end, together with the mother and "saying" that now it's just them two, no child. Thought that was somewhat sad though. :~(
so no need to guess that part. ;)
[close]

Yup,
Spoiler

...you do see them together at the end but I just meant that there is some ambiguity in exactly how the father ended up drowning. It could have been the wife coming for him, or one of the other drowned people, or the whole gang of them...

I also thought the ending was sad, but in a bittersweet kind of way: The father gets his wish to be back together with his wife but must lose his child to do so. I was then nervous through the whole flash-forward scene of the new happy family at the end that a cold, black hand was going to reach up and pull the little tyke under.
[close]

Cassiebsg

@Mandle
Spoiler

I assumed he saw the wife and choose to save/join her by jumping in the water. But yeah, it could have been the others that pulled him in.
And I felt about exactly the same watching the happy kid in the water... 8-0
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk