MAGS September: "Stephen King" (OPEN)

Started by Atelier, Wed 02/09/2015 11:09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

I think Mandle has the right idea. We'll leave "characters" fairly open to interpretation. In my mind, it would be someone who has spoken lines. Other people might classify it as someone who is visible on-screen. You could use the technical definition of a member of the character[] array, but that might be a bit too strict. People sometimes use characters for other things (e.g. droppable objects). Use your discretion.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

Technically, all games are comprised of characters: 0 and 1

8-)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 08/09/2015 06:14:12
Technically, all games are comprised of characters: 0 and 1

8-)

That truth can be denied by nary anybody...

8-) 8-)

MUFFINinc

I keep meaning to get in on one of these but never do it.  Two rooms sounds like a good limitation, as the last time I tried to do a MAGS game...well, it is still technically being worked on.  I always want to turn everything into a huge game.  Anyway I love Steven King and this seems like as good a time as any so, I think I may tentatively be in.  Possibly.

brit

Thanks everyone for shedding light on the character thing. I think I've got the gist of it now. It's nice to know that I'm not going to get grilled on minor technicalities!

Mandle

Quote from: brit on Tue 08/09/2015 16:25:43
Thanks everyone for shedding light on the character thing. I think I've got the gist of it now. It's nice to know that I'm not going to get grilled on minor technicalities!

The truth is you could probably break every "rule" except the one month build limit and nobody would object to your entry. Most people around here are just stoked to see new games getting made with AGS. That's really what MAGS and other contests are for: Motivation.

Mandle

YAAAAAAAAY!!!

It took all day but I have finally achieved the first violent death scene in my game!!!

It works!!! And a guy dies very violently!!!

So:

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

DISCLAIMER:
I am NOT a psycho nor do I condone violent death outside of the video game structure...

Mandle

Spent about 4 hours today making sure a subliminal thingy works right...And it doesn't even work right...But it is very subliminal so maybe nobody will notice how badly it works...?

So yeah...not a huge load of progress today...

:-[

Mandle

YAY!!! PROGRESS but:

A stupid amount of effort just to show a menu screen:

And apologies to Banksy for ripping off the image of the Grim Reaper dodgem cars piece he made in New York...

Sorry...but it was the most fitting image for the game...

vertigoaddict

I wrote a decent two paragraphs, but my connection glitched it out. So 'cause I'm lazy, I'm just gonna say keep it up Mandle!

Mandle

Well...Thanks to the musical genius of HandsFree I have spent the day turning the menu screen into the best feature of the game so far...

Still only half done but I think if it was projected onto a big screen at a nightclub with the images and music playing people could trip and dance to it...

Mandle

So....due to a real-life crisis over the 4 days holiday I had put aside to get a playable game together I am not going to be able to submit a full entry into this MAGS contest... :~(

BUT the game will go ahead and will be that much better for the extra time, as the concept has grown a lot due to the extra downtime I had sitting in deserted closing-time hospital waiting rooms, and also wandering darkened hospital corridors on a bit of urban exploring to kill time (creepy Stephen King mood right there) and also a lot of questions asked by HandsFree about how the music should fit certain scenes. The latter especially made me wonder how far I could take the initial simple concept and the scenes inspired by those questions should add a bit more charm to the game...

I may be able to produce a slightly-playable demo over the coming weekend as a submission...Time will tell...

(The hospital thingy was nothing life-threatening but did involve a ride in an ambulance. My wife was the patient. Like I said: nothing potentially fatal, but a great deal of soul-wrenching pain both to experience for her and to watch for me...PAIN SUCKS!!!)

Grok

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 25/09/2015 16:05:11
So....due to a real-life crisis over the 4 days holiday

---

(The hospital thingy was nothing life-threatening but did involve a ride in an ambulance. My wife was the patient. Like I said: nothing potentially fatal, but a great deal of soul-wrenching pain both to experience for her and to watch for me...PAIN SUCKS!!!)

Sorry to hear about that. I hope everything has turned out well for your wife in the end.

Stupot

@Mandle: sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you can at least put something out by the end of the month. If not, no worries. Give my regards to Mrs. Mandle :-)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 25/09/2015 17:27:38
@Mandle: sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you can at least put something out by the end of the month. If not, no worries. Give my regards to Mrs. Mandle :-)

Cheers my man...Replied in PM regarding the trouble and strife...

Mandle

I've never entered a MAGS without uploading something no matter how incomplete so:

This is what I have to show for my entry:

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

As mentioned before I could not get the game anywhere near finished in time because reality sucks...

The version in the download will allow the viewer to experience the menu screen. Please sit all the way through it to get the full experience...

Fullscreen, full volume, and headphones are a must!!!

Also you can click on the "Play" button to experience a little more of the musical genius that HandsFree has brought to the game so far...

Yeah, so basically just showing off the amazing work of HandsFree in the music video which is the menu screen...

The timing on a few animations are still a bit off (it's quite tricky getting them spot on) but I hope you can rock to it!

(Oh by the way: There are some videos in the folder. They are part of the full game and I didn't want to move them because then I'd have to edit the code and remember how to change it back later. Sorry that this increases the download size, not that anyone is probably going to be downloading this...but meh)

Stupot

Okay let's open the voting.
Two entries this month:

Matilda and the Curse of King Stephen by Grok
Stephen King Dodgem Cars by Mandle

Click here to go to the voting page.
Please only vote once.
Voting ends October 19th

Gurok

We used to be able to see who was in the lead and how many votes each game had. I think that's missing now.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 06/10/2015 02:21:34
We used to be able to see who was in the lead and how many votes each game had. I think that's missing now.
I kept that as invisible as I thought it was more fun when the scores were announced at the end of voting. Would folks prefer to see the current standings? If so I can easily make the change.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk