The Prisoner
that was sentenced
to the Abyss
of Despair.

The Martyr
and how she found Freedom
and saved the Universe.

New release trailer:

[embed=750,422]<iframe width="750" height="422" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A_oq23_Y1HE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

What is HJARTA?

• Hjarta is a word from old norse language and it means 'heart'.
  • Hjarta is a collection of short stories.
  • Hjarta is a point-and-click adventure game.

Screenshots:

Download from AGS archives!

Technical information:

• Version: 1.0
  • Download size: 125 mb
  • Installed size: 720 mb
  • Supported systems: Windows

Huge thanks:

• Extra animations, puzzles: Navidad
  • The wonderful testers: NickyNyce, Creamy, selmiak, MyEakinBack, Superkumi!

Websites: Official / GameJolt.com / Itch.io
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

AnasAbdin

Congrats! Gonna try it immediately :-D

josiah1221

Congrats on the release! I truly enjoyed Providence and this is definitely another masterpiece! Great job!!! I really enjoyed having more interaction and puzzles with each characters story. You guys really got something. I look forward to your future endeavors :grin:

P.S. Also I think the hint system was a nice touch. That way the ones who prefer a more straight forward interactive novel can get through it with out struggle. Once again great job!!!

SeamanNaranja

Thanks guys! :grin:

Glad you liked it josiah1221! The hint system was a late addition, after some good feedback from the testers. Glad it was useful! :wink:

Superkumi

Congratulations on the release!
I'll check it out when I'm back from vacation.
Testing was a pleasure, can't wait to see how it turned out!

NickyNyce

Congrats on the release. A nice and colorful adventure experience that I had lots of fun testing. I've been away for a while tending to life's needs. I can't wait to check out the finished product. Congrats again!

Meystari F

The word "Hjarta" is an Icelandic word. And yes in English it means heart.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Superkumi on Tue 15/09/2015 09:44:56
Congratulations on the release!
Quote from: NickyNyce on Tue 15/09/2015 20:38:30
Congrats on the release.
Thanks guys! And thanks again for great feedback :-)
Quote from: Fribbi on Wed 16/09/2015 01:04:49
The word "Hjarta" is an Icelandic word. And yes in English it means heart.
You are of course right, since both Icelandic and Norwegian (my language) are developed from Old Norse where they used the word "hjarta"! Icelandic is probably the most similar to Norse, but we actually use hjarta in Norway as well! At least in nynorsk, one of the two variants of norwegian today :smiley:

(btw congrats on qualifying for the European Championships) :wink:

Shadow1000

I just finished playing the three mini-episodes and I LOVED this game.

This game cannot be viewed as a game with a detailed or complex plot. As the game description says, it's three mini-games rather than a complete game.

The strength of the game is the exceptionally smooth graphics and animation. The puzzles are fun and designed well. I just found the overall play experience to be delightful.

I know that it's intended to be this way, but it almost feels like you are jumping into a character's life and playing a brief segment of a full story. I suppose that the player is supposed to wonder who the characters are, how they ended up where they are and what happens next. I find that to be a very creative replacement for a complete story.

I look forward to more games from this author!

SHADOW

selmiak

Congrats on the release!
These are 3 very interesting episodes from 3 different people (while 1 isn't even human), I just wish they were a bit more related to eachother or there is a fourth and final episode where they all come together. Overall very enjoyable!

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 18/09/2015 20:42:24
I just finished playing the three mini-episodes and I LOVED this game.

This game cannot be viewed as a game with a detailed or complex plot. As the game description says, it's three mini-games rather than a complete game.

The strength of the game is the exceptionally smooth graphics and animation. The puzzles are fun and designed well. I just found the overall play experience to be delightful.

I know that it's intended to be this way, but it almost feels like you are jumping into a character's life and playing a brief segment of a full story. I suppose that the player is supposed to wonder who the characters are, how they ended up where they are and what happens next. I find that to be a very creative replacement for a complete story.

I look forward to more games from this author!

SHADOW
Thank you for the great words Shadow1000! Your description of the game is pretty much just how I wanted it to feel like and that makes me very happy :smiley:

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 19/09/2015 01:51:03
Congrats on the release!
These are 3 very interesting episodes from 3 different people (while 1 isn't even human), I just wish they were a bit more related to eachother or there is a fourth and final episode where they all come together. Overall very enjoyable!
Thanks selmiak, and thanks for helping out with testing! :smiley:
There are a lot of small hidden links between the episodes, but you're right, they're not explicitly related to each other. It's just some different story ideas set in one universe, so hopefully the player can fill out the fourth chapter by themself? :cheesy:
If I was making a bigger game it definitely could be interesting to tie them together and continue the story. Maybe something for Hjarta 2? :cool:

Blondbraid

I just finished the game and I absolutely loved the clean retro-futuristic aesthetic combined with bombastic classical music,
a real artwork in my opinion. And using separate short stories combined was an interesting narrative approach which has been
sadly underutilized within the the game medium. I really liked this game! :-D

Stupot

I really enjoyed this. I would love to see a longer story set in the same universe. Well done on a gorgeous game.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 25/09/2015 22:05:46
I really liked this game! :-D
Thank you, it feels like you really got what I was trying to do with the visual style!
Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 01/10/2015 01:34:49
I really enjoyed this. I would love to see a longer story set in the same universe. Well done on a gorgeous game.
Thanks! Might happen, just need to get the next three-four projects out of the way :wink:

Ibispi

Hey, sorry I haven't had time to play the game earlier. I've had some stressful experiences lately. Now that's calmed down, I'm going to play Hjarta!
I will edit this post later with comments after having finished playing the game.

edit: Okay, so I've finished playing it.
I like the
Spoiler
nonlinear narrative
[close]
of the game.
Spoiler
That everyone experiences the game in different way, depending on the order they picked the characters. I played: 1.The Martyr 2.The Cosmonaut and then 3.The Prisoner. The prisoner one I liked the most, because of the puzzles. Martyr story had that nice view of the futuristic city, from the ceiling window. The music nicely harmonized with the game and its story.
[close]

Really wonderful game. Well done! :)

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Ibispi on Fri 02/10/2015 20:37:52
Spoiler
That everyone experiences the game in different way, depending on the order they picked the characters. I played: 1.The Martyr 2.The Cosmonaut and then 3.The Prisoner. The prisoner one I liked the most, because of the puzzles. Martyr story had that nice view of the futuristic city, from the ceiling window. The music nicely harmonized with the game and its story.
[close]
Really wonderful game. Well done! :)
Yes!
Spoiler
The first thing I thought about when I came up with the idea was that the order would affect the experience. So happy you felt that :cheesy:
[close]
Also, thanks for the nice words :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk