The Points Game

Started by Mandle, Fri 18/09/2015 00:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

Solution : 1 point for each consonant digraph?

Stupot

I'm pretty sure 'wh' isn't being counted, but let me check so it can be eliminated Who what when where why?

Mandle

Creamy: Nope
Stupot: 2 pts

AnasAbdin

AnasAbdin

Solution: 1pt for each Consonant Blend?

Mandle

AnasAbdin: 0pts
AnasAbdin: Nope

AnasAbdin

Mandle

AnasAbdin

Solution: is it 1pt when 'h' is added to a letter and changes its pronunciation?

Spoiler
:~(
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Tue 29/09/2015 11:23:39
Solution: is it 1pt when 'h' is added to a letter and changes its pronunciation?

Spoiler
:~(
[close]

CORRECT!!!

Spoiler
Well...also combinations that became silent were not counted (for example the "gh" in "though"), but I think it can be argued that your words "changes its pronunciation" cover this in that such cases do not have a pronunciation so it could not really be said that the pronunciation has "changed". It's semantics but it works for me! GOOD WIN!!!
[close]

The point where I screwed up and had to change two scores kinda acted as a potential major hint in that:
Spoiler
The word in both cases that I screwed up on was "characters" as I was adding the scores in a hurry and forgot to consider the pronunciation of the "ch" (silent ch) which was why I had to subtract a point in both cases...Sorry for that again, but the fact that it may have provided an unintentional clue moreso than hindering the round made up for it a bit I thought (laugh)
[close]

--------LEADERBOARD--------

Stupot: 3
AnasAbdin: 1

ROUND #5 BEGINS!!!

cat

Wow, that was a hard one. Congrats, AnasAbdin!

Stupot

For example Sh, th and ch?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 29/09/2015 12:32:33
For example Sh, th and ch?

Yes! But also ph and gh(as in "rough" but not as in "through") and wh(as in "who" but not as in "what")so...you were close but not quite there...Also the "ch" was not 100% correct as it would not have been scored in the case of a word like "Christmas"...

You were sooooo close though!

Mandle

cat: 0pts
Stupot: 0pts

Stupot

AnasAbdin

OMG! I won! haha thanks.. now let's see if this gets 0 points or more!

Mandle

Stupot: 1pt
AnasAbdin: 0pts

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 29/09/2015 12:40:58
Shenanigans!

Are you joking or do you really think you should have won it with that answer?

It was close but if somebody had posted:

"Christmas characters" for example it would have scored 0pts which your answer did not account for...

Also:
Spoiler
Here's an example from early on in the thread to show that the solid rule was decided at the start and was not changed during the round as well, in case that was a concern:

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 21/09/2015 16:52:23
It was only a matter of time until someone posted a pangram; I was very much tempted to do so as well but fought off the urges.

Note that this post scored 1 pt for the "th" in "the" and gained no points for the silent "gh" in "fought"...

The only inconsistancies were due to me being an idiot on the word "characters"...
[close]

I think you were joking but I really don't want anyone to feel they were cheated out of a win. I'm trying to run the game as if I'm a computer program with really solid and unbreakable rules so that everyone can see at the end of the round why their answer was not the right one or the complete one...And I'm not going to add something like "CLOSE" when somebody gets a partially correct answer because I think that takes away from the pure logic of the game and the players should have to get their hints purely from the scores. Of course I do screw up on the scoring now and then which annoys the shit out of me as well...

Stupot

No worries mate. I was more enjoying the teamwork of trying to narrow it down. Well done, Anas :-)

AnasAbdin

Thanks Stu! I literally stopped AGSing because of this thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk