What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

Quote from: Mouth for war on Wed 17/08/2022 20:55:06
Haha exactly the same thing happened the last time I complained...I just waited for it :D
Are you saying... I should of made a different joke?!? :P

Mandle

Quote from: lorenzo on Wed 17/08/2022 21:08:09
Haha exactly the same thing happened the last time I complained...I just waited for it :D

Hahaha!

heltenjon

Quote from: lorenzo on Wed 17/08/2022 21:08:09
If only I had thought've that!

CaptainD

Since part of my job includes tech support it really annoys me when I ask an end user for a screenshot of the issue they're experiencing, so they screenshot their entire double-screen display, then paste that into a Word file, and send me the Word file.

I mean why.

Snarky

The Word part is probably because they don't know any other way to get an image from the clipboard into a file (and don't think to paste it directly into the email). Right?

(This sort of thing would be hilarious to me, but I guess it gets old pretty quickly.)

Babar

I know several people who do stuff like accessing facebook by typing "Facebook" into google, and clicking the first link, so...  :=
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

heltenjon

Quote from: Babar on Thu 18/08/2022 16:43:25
I know several people who do stuff like accessing facebook by typing "Facebook" into google, and clicking the first link, so...  :=
I think I know people who start by typing google in order to find google first (effectively googling google), and then click the google link before typing facebook into google.

Laura Hunt

This is petty, but it grinds my gears when people literally write "something-slash-something" or "quote unquote". Those expressions are meant for spoken communication, but it makes zero sense to write all that when the keyboard you're typing on already has slash and quote symbols. "She's a developer-slash-game designer", no, you mean "developer/game designer". "He's a quote-unquote genius", no, you mean "He's a 'genius'".  (roll)

Mandle

Quote from: heltenjon on Thu 18/08/2022 17:04:42
I think I know people who start by typing google in order to find google first (effectively googling google), and then click the google link before typing facebook into google.

HAHAHAHA!!! Oh, damn... I think I have done something like that when drunk.

Stupot

I literally accessed Instagram this way today… only it was Bing, not Google.

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 18/08/2022 18:36:27
This is petty, but it grinds my gears when people literally write "something-slash-something" or "quote unquote". Those expressions are meant for spoken communication, but it makes zero sense to write all that when the keyboard you're typing on already has slash and quote symbols. "She's a developer-slash-game designer", no, you mean "developer/game designer". "He's a quote-unquote genius", no, you mean "He's a 'genius'".  (roll)

I can’t say i’ve come across this but it would grind my gears too. It’s not like typing “period” or “full-stop” at the end of a sentence because that actually performs a function beyond just typing the actual symbol. But the examples you gave don’t do anything that just typing the symbols doesn’t already do, so yeah, that would annoy me too.

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 19/08/2022 13:52:07

I can’t say i’ve come across this but it would grind my gears too. It’s not like typing “period” or “full-stop” at the end of a sentence because that actually performs a function beyond just typing the actual symbol. But the examples you gave don’t do anything that just typing the symbols doesn’t already do, so yeah, that would annoy me too.
I am so glad I've never come across that as well, because that would also grind my gears.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 19/08/2022 15:52:41
Quote from: Stupot on Fri 19/08/2022 13:52:07

I am so glad I've never come across that as well, because that would also grind my gears.

There you go, third paragraph: https://newsletters.theatlantic.com/galaxy-brain/62fc502abcbd490021afea1e/twitter-viral-outrage-ai-art/

"A day later, an artistâ€"slashâ€"art director saw the post and noticed that I credited “AI art by Midjourney” in the captions."

(also relevant to the AI art debate going on in another thread I guess)

cat

Youtube short videos. Don't get me started on why videos and screens got wider and wider until being impractical and we are now having vertical videos to compensate for that. No, I mean those super short <1min videos. You can't rewind or fast-forward there. Now people try to pack as much information as possible into one minute which means quick speaking and even text overlays. And when I don't get a sentence they just said or wasn't quick enough to read the text, I HAVE TO WATCH THAT WHOLE DAMN THING AGAIN just to rewatch one tiny bit. That really grinds my gears.

Snarky

I'm inclined to think that the hyphenated "slash" spelled out has a slightly different meaning than the slash sign. When spelled out, it suggests (to me) a definite dual role, while the slash sign suggests alternative possibilities, uncertainty. An "artist-slash-art director" is someone who is both. An "artist/art director" might be one or the other, or possibly even something else along those lines.

One thing that always sets my teeth on edge is when people refer to the Nordic countries as "the Nordics."

Stupot

@cat Yeah that winds me up too, especially when they’ve put text over other text, or when they put some text at the bottom and the closed captions go right over it. And you can’t pause them either.

@Snarky
Quote from: SnarkyAn "artist-slash-art director" is someone who is both.
Why not just use “and”? That’s what it’s there for.

[edit - actually I can think of a reason why not. Using “and” could be ambiguous. Saying “an artist and art director saw the post” could be interpreted as two people. But I don’t think that’s very likely as long as you don’t put “an” before “art director” (“an artist and an art director saw my post” definitely sounds like two people.)]

Better yet, they could have used “artist-cum-art-director”. True, it tends to includes the sense that he became an art director after being an artist for some time but it also allows for him to still be an artist as well. Maybe they just wanted to avoid using the word “cum”.

Cassiebsg

artist-art director
artist & art director

(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

House flies grind my gears. Nothing ruins my mood faster than seeing one of those intrusive freeloaders buzzing around like they own the place.

Cassiebsg

We need to share the world with all other living creatures and... *SQUAT* ... (ah... so much better now) where was I?...  ;)

Frodo

What grinds my gears, is when you're on the bus, and you're ALMOST at the bus stop to get off, but not quite.  And the bus is stuck in a traffic jam so it can't move.  But the driver still won't let you off.  And you're standing there, thinking... 'Come ON... the bus stop is just right there!  Why won't you let me off?'    :angry:

Cassiebsg

Maybe because he can get fined for doing so... and if he lets you off outside the bus stop and you get run over (in a trafic jam it's probably not likely.... but bikes and motorcycle still run along the side) he would be liable...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk