Jibble

Author Topic: What grinds my gears!  (Read 77990 times)

Retro Wolf

• The Viscount of Vaporware
    • Retro Wolf worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: What grinds my gears!
« Reply #800 on: 09 Mar 2020, 16:57 »
I think there are exceptions, there are good early access games, such as Factorio. I did buy it a few years into the early access, I'd read good things about it and I personally had a complete experience from it. Never felt like a beta tester for that particular game.

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
    • cat worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • cat worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #801 on: 09 Mar 2020, 17:24 »
Isn't this more like a "I want to be first to have it" thing? Like those people who queue at night in front of a store just to be the first to buy the new gadget xyz as soon as it comes out?

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
    • cat worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • cat worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #802 on: 13 Mar 2020, 18:24 »
What is this thing about toilet paper? People go crazy about buying it now. Yesterday two people before and after me at the checkout bought huge amounts of it, so I asked if it is on sale but seems they were just panicking. Today it is not available at supermarkets anymore because of crazy people. It is a running gag in web forums already.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #803 on: 13 Mar 2020, 18:34 »
Yes, over here as well. Crazy people, one would think they are planning to be home sick with exploding diarrhea for a month... or a year even...   8-0
I don't get it either. We do miss a single pack of toilet paper though, one of the toilets only has one roll left... but we still have half a pack on the other... And so what if it runs out? We won't die because we don't have it... there's always other alternatives.  (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

• Think deviant
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Jack worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #804 on: 13 Mar 2020, 19:20 »
It's for the shit hitting the fan. ;)

Panic-buying really grinds my gears... People should NOT be going out and hoarding shit they are not going to use within the year. Other people need that stuff too.

Wipe with your hand. And behold the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL toilet paper fort!
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2020, 23:59 by Jack »

« Reply #805 on: 14 Mar 2020, 00:06 »
The toilet roll thing is absolutely ridiculous. Why specifically that? It’s an interesting phenomenon really. There’s probably some weird psychology behind it. My worry is that, if this is how people are behaving when the virus is only just starting to get going, what is it going to be like when the shit, indeed, does hit the fan?

Jack

• Think deviant
« Reply #806 on: 14 Mar 2020, 00:22 »
I think we are observing a previously unknown bit of belief present in a part of the population. Did all these people see TP as some kind of currency all along?

Would explain why the federal reserve has been running their printing presses 24/7 lately, to try and keep up with demand.

« Reply #807 on: 14 Mar 2020, 00:30 »
This TP hoarding started in Japan as a hoax. People had flashbacks of the “oil shock” of the 1970s when people also hoarded TP. And people just seem to enjoy doing whatever it is that other people are doing. But the real kicker is that most people in Japan have “washlets” built into the toilet units that wash their bums anyway. You don’t even need TP (except maybe a bit to dry it up, but you could easily use a towel if you were running low). Seriously illogical behaviour.

« Reply #808 on: 14 Mar 2020, 03:10 »
On the Japan tangent, I remember in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, people in Mainland China started spreading the rumour that salt would be radioactively affected. Many people, including family friends, started stockpiling table salt. It was only recently our family friends ate through their last bag of salt. (laugh) At the time of the disaster it was irritating though, because table salt in general was hard to find for a few weeks. I mean, you could get it, but you had to visit two, three, four supermarkets to find it.  (wtf)

« Reply #809 on: 14 Mar 2020, 09:37 »
The toilet roll thing is absolutely ridiculous. Why specifically that? It’s an interesting phenomenon really. There’s probably some weird psychology behind it. My worry is that, if this is how people are behaving when the virus is only just starting to get going, what is it going to be like when the shit, indeed, does hit the fan?

People are hoarding all kinds of stuff: toilet paper, yes, but also frozen food, canned goods, desinfectant, etc. It's just that toilet paper makes for the most "omg wtf" headlines.

Slasher

• slasher
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Slasher worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #810 on: 14 Mar 2020, 09:41 »

People are hoarding all kinds of stuff: toilet paper, yes, but also frozen food, canned goods, desinfectant, etc. It's just that toilet paper makes for the most "omg wtf" headlines.
Sudden rush to buy things and chaos... That's part of the plan ;)

« Reply #811 on: 14 Mar 2020, 10:03 »

Sudden rush to buy things and chaos... That's part of the plan ;)

I think you dropped this

Jack

• Think deviant
« Reply #812 on: 18 Apr 2020, 01:07 »
Here's something from February that warms the heart, to 38 degrees Celsius.

It's ironic, given what happened to Nigerians in China recently.

Babar

• Creator, Mutator and Defecator
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
    • Babar worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Babar worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #813 on: 18 Apr 2020, 11:03 »
Is that Italy? What happened to social distancing? Why are all those people hugging?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Mandle worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #814 on: 18 Apr 2020, 12:16 »
Is that Italy? What happened to social distancing? Why are all those people hugging?

It's from February.

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #815 on: 18 Apr 2020, 13:29 »
Here's something that grinds my gears.
Very high-pitched devices, used for scaring away cats or sometimes used in shops to "detract" youths.
Because I can hear those things, and they're nauseating!

Racoon

• you may say I´m a dreamer..
    • I can help with animation
    • I can help with making music
    • I can help with play testing
« Reply #816 on: 18 Apr 2020, 15:08 »
Very high-pitched devices, used for scaring away cats or sometimes used in shops to "detract" youths.

Ohhh yes! I can relate so much  :-D Our neighboor has one of these torture devices and I get the feeling that cats don´t care about it at all. But I care! It has become a running gag in our family since we tried to talk to him about it and he said he can not hear it, so we shouldn´t too. He even upgraded it to something that makes a bright light when you get to close, but he had to take that down, because we were not the only ones bothered by it..

Jack

• Think deviant
« Reply #817 on: 18 Apr 2020, 15:13 »

What do they sound like?

« Reply #818 on: 18 Apr 2020, 15:45 »

Ohhh yes! I can relate so much  :-D Our neighboor has one of these torture devices and I get the feeling that cats don´t care about it at all. But I care! It has become a running gag in our family since we tried to talk to him about it and he said he can not hear it, so we shouldn´t too. He even upgraded it to something that makes a bright light when you get to close, but he had to take that down, because we were not the only ones bothered by it..

Jesus, how many unwanted cats do you guys have running around your area? I've never heard of these devices.

Racoon

• you may say I´m a dreamer..
    • I can help with animation
    • I can help with making music
    • I can help with play testing
« Reply #819 on: 18 Apr 2020, 16:04 »
What do they sound like?

A very high beep sound. There are frequencies that younger people hear, but older don´t. And I think the same are used to scare of cats.

Jesus, how many unwanted cats do you guys have running around your area? I've never heard of these devices.

The rigth question would be: How many strange neighboors are out there?