What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

“Track and Trace”

NO! It’s not called Track-and-Bloody-Trace! It’s “Test and Trace”! A different thing entirely. If one more IDIOT calls it Track and Trace, unless you’ve just entered a 12-digit string into a box on the Royal Mail website, I swear I’m going to go postal.

CaptainD

Stu, from your Twitter feed I would NEVER have guessed this grinds your gears.  Never in a million years.  (laugh)

Cassiebsg

* Cassiebsg feels out of the loop
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 18/06/2020 15:19:54
“Track and Trace”

NO! It’s not called Track-and-Bloody-Trace! It’s “Test and Trace”! A different thing entirely. If one more IDIOT calls it Track and Trace, unless you’ve just entered a 12-digit string into a box on the Royal Mail website, I swear I’m going to go postal.

If you think I'm going to start calling it "Test and Trace", then you've got another think coming.
Get it?
I just referred to my own somewhat related pet-peeve while talking about Stupot's.  :-D
Ok, forget it. I don't think anyone is going to get it.  :~(

Also, what is test and trace?
I only know about the whole 12-digit thing that you put into the Royal Mail website. Then again, I don't send and receive many packages, so...  :-\

Stupot

Test and trace is what they (‘they’ being the NHS and UK authorities) call the system in place for “testing” for positive cases of covid-19 and “tracing” people who they might have been in contact with. Nobody is “tracking” anybody. Yet last night #TrackandTrace was trending on Twitter because nobody stops to check that they are using the right terminology.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 18/06/2020 20:41:12
Test and trace is what they (‘they’ being the NHS and UK authorities) call the system in place for “testing” for positive cases of covid-19 and “tracing” people who they might have been in contact with. Nobody is “tracking” anybody. Yet last night #TrackandTrace was trending on Twitter because nobody stops to check that they are using the right terminology.

I'd say some people are using that term on purpose to suggest a conspiracy that the government is using covid testing to track the population as part of their "grand plan".

A lot of terms like this and "Plandemic" etc. have cropped up over this whole thing.

But yeah, that makes them even more idiots in my book than the people who are just saying it wrong.

cat

The new Windows calculator icon. It is just so ugly - what were they thinking?

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Wed 22/07/2020 20:09:39
The new Windows calculator icon. It is just so ugly - what were they thinking?

It was probably one of those "Bob, just finish the damn thing so we can all go get drunk!" type situations.

Mouth for war

Or maybe it was "Bob, go get drunk and then finish the damn thing"
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

Quote from: Mouth for war on Thu 23/07/2020 10:30:45
Or maybe it was "Bob, go get drunk and then finish the damn thing"

(laugh)

Snarky

This is more of a pet peeve, but it always annoys me in movies and TV shows when characters wear glasses, but you can tell from the lack of distortion that they're just flat glass, not proper lenses. I find this more distracting than people drinking from empty cups or all the other little moviemaking fakes.

Sinitrena

Pre-cut backing parchment. I don't know if other people have this problem, but pre-cut backing parchment recently really annoys me. It's never the right size for my oven, especially, it is too big. I can cut it into smaller pieces, but then I am left with snippets that are too small to use, or I can not cut it and use too big sheets. Either way, it's a waste of perfectly good backing parchment. Why do shops sell this? Why do enough people buy it that it makes sense for shops to sell it? And why does my local shop not sell the other kind?  ???

Cassiebsg

I think you answered your own question...

If they only provide you with the pre-cut, then if you have no other choice, and they sell more paper, cause you don't optimally use it.

I have the same problem. I can understand that they don't fit our mini-oven, but they should roughly fit the standard oven of 60x60 cm...  :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 22/09/2020 16:32:17
I think you answered your own question...

If they only provide you with the pre-cut, then if you have no other choice, and they sell more paper, cause you don't optimally use it.

I have the same problem. I can understand that they don't fit our mini-oven, but they should roughly fit the standard oven of 60x60 cm...  :-\
I bet this is why nail polish never comes with a brush that reaches all the way to the bottom of the bottle too, it grinds my gears not being able to get the last nail polish out
if the bottle is less than half full, especially considering how expensive real nail polish is.

milkanannan

I don’t wear nail polish, but yeah that would be frustrating.

Blondbraid

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 24/09/2020 11:13:36
I don’t wear nail polish, but yeah that would be frustrating.
It's a big reason I stopped wearing it, you'll just end up with several half-filled bottles if you do.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that whatever you need from your handbag or backpack has always found a way to dig itself down to the bottom of it when you want to reach for it.

Mandle

ARGH!!! I just had to vent somewhere!

A Covidiot in the chat of a livestream was spamming how the CDC has released data showing that most people who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the USA are mask-wearers, proving that mask-wearing is bad.

I tried to explain to him that mask-wearers are people who are worried about the virus so they GET TESTED. Non-maskers are not worried so they DON'T GET TESTED.

He couldn't get it. Just kept saying that is was legit CDC data so I was wrong and masks are bad.

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Stupot

Yeah, these people are absolute morons. And there’s a lot of them.

Not to mention that even mask-wearers have to take their masks off from time-to time. And even with them on, no one ever claimed they were 100% fool-proof.

Olleh19

I hope i don't get shoot right now. ;)
But as you guys know (or may not know). My home origin is the rather different Covid-19 approach country, Sweden. We have no masks here, only in the emergency/hospital areas, military, etc. We did have high death rates in the beginnings, but these days we have sometimes days with no reported deaths, and sometimes 5 to 8 deaths a day. I repeat We have No masks..If it will work in the longrun? I do not know. I was one of the loud voices in the beginnings of the pandemic who shouted "idiots, we need to have masks!", but lately i've changed my thoughts on it.

I think distancing and holding your breath when going by someone is the better option.
Ofc hard if you live in a huge city and go past people all the time, but in a little town it should be do-able, also breath with your nose around people, mouth shut. It should have a better filter system, as i've understood it. So i do that pretty much all the time when i'm around lots of people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk