What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Mouth for war on Fri 02/09/2016 00:27:09
Jokes has no place in science!!!! :D haha no but I agree, it was hard to take that serious.

I wasn't meaning that science should be taken 100% seriously. I meant more that it's just such a weird choice to try and make this particular article into a comedy piece: Where's the comedic value in the underlying story? Is it that the scientists maybe got the origin of the signal wrong? That's the only thin premise for making it jokey that I can see, but his jokes aren't even about that!!! It's more like he was high and just making random connections and references for no reason...

And Stupot+: If this dude ever did a stand-up show I would SO want to see it just for the sheer awkwardness!!! That would be awesome!

Stupot

It's a bit like most of our first attempts at an AGS game where we think we need to put a funny gag in every interaction.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 02/09/2016 01:34:56
It's a bit like most of our first attempts at an AGS game where we think we need to put a funny gag in every interaction.

EXACTLY!!! A very good example indeed!!!

I still remember the worst from my first game:

If you tried using the fish on the sun the character said: "No, that could cause nuclear fish-sun and I've heard that's very dangerous!"

And I was so proud of that gag at the time: Now I just think about it and gag...

Slasher

What grinds my gears?

People who wear a big hat but produce nothing or very little (laugh)

In fact, anyone who wears a big hat but fails to deliver the goods (laugh)

People who promote very high-end yet end up with nothing (laugh)

When people don't take it as important/seriously as you (laugh)

Jack

Haha, nice one. Today I was surprised that CNN treats their readers as the morons they are.

I mean it's not important that they and others like them are providing nothing more than a PR service, or have no journalistic skill or integrity.

But this.  8-0

It grinds my gears that the mainstream media don't produce quality content like this for their wars any more.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 02/09/2016 03:56:39
If you tried using the fish on the sun the character said: "No, that could cause nuclear fish-sun and I've heard that's very dangerous!"
:-\ I don't get it.

As for what grinds my gears. Well, like all of you. The abysmal nature of how the news is reported, and that it's always doom and gloom. Then again, I never look at the news anyway, so what does it matter to me.

Retro Wolf

Ever heard of Nuclear Fission Danvzare?
I think it's a funny joke, one of those so bad it's good jokes. (laugh)

Danvzare

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Fri 02/09/2016 12:55:49
Ever heard of Nuclear Fission Danvzare?
OH! 8-0
Now I get it!
I'ts a pun. I can't believe I didn't notice that. (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Fri 02/09/2016 12:55:49

Hahaha...thanks for that...The game is FULL of them if anyone wants to cringe a little more: Just look at everything, interact with everything, and use everything on everything!

It was my first AGS game, and it has no sound effects or music as I did not know how to do those back then...

I released it about two weeks after downloading AGS. It was a student project in my school where the kids drew the characters and backgrounds in a single lesson of 3 hours and then I made it in AGS even though I had NO idea what I was doing (I even saved a variable in a character's 1% transparancy value as I didn't know about global variables and couldn't understand the right place to put a local variable)

I remember being so entranced about how I could draw walkbehinds around trees that were just paper glued onto paper in real life, and yet make it look like the character was going behind them: And that's probably the moment I became an AGS addict...

I'm still quite proud of it however despite its many, many, MANY flaws and if anyone wants to check it out:

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD MY FIRST BIG ADVENTURE

AnasAbdin

Probably those of you following me on twitter already saw it :P
What grinds my gears (in an adventure game) is when you forget to write down a randomly generated code in the beginning of a game that later near the end of the game you have to use it.

Space Quest XII

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

People who say "The US is a republic, not a democracy." ONE DOES NOT PRECLUDE THE OTHER! THE US IS CLEARLY BOTH!

Danvzare

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 08/09/2016 09:06:07
People who say "The US is a republic, not a democracy." ONE DOES NOT PRECLUDE THE OTHER! THE US IS CLEARLY BOTH!
I thought to be a democracy, you needed a republic? ???

Gurok

Danzvare, Britain is a democracy but not a republic.

The only time a republic and a democracy should preclude each other, however, is in a game of Civ 2 :P
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

arj0n

A true democracy does simply not exist.

Mandle

Quote from: Gurok on Thu 08/09/2016 14:37:32
The only time a republic and a democracy should preclude each other, however, is in a game of Civ 2 :P

ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Don't mention that awesome game or I might start wasting my time playing it again!

Even though that I have figured out that all upping the difficulty level does is give the AI opponents resource boosts and impossible abilities to regrow city levels, and replace lost troops instantly...

I mean...seriously?! I hit a level 10 city with a nuke, which should set it back to level 5, but on the next turn it's level 7, and then gains a level every turn until it's back to level 10 three turns later???!!!

AND can also manage to restock Alpine Troops every single turn??? Their economy is unbreakable!!!

Fair enough I suppose, considering that the AI is pretty stupid and wouldn't be much of a challenge otherwise: They mass their ship fleets and hover around one of my cities that is a square inland and that they can never attack...

If this otherwise perfect game could be rereleased by a fan/hacker which fixed all the AI bugs, made the opponents smarter instead of just giving them impossible buffs per difficultly level, and fixed the travesty of air units not being able to overfly enemy units without attacking them...

It could be the greatest simulation game ever made...

/Grinding my gears on a decades-old game...

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 08/09/2016 16:09:45
If this otherwise perfect game could be rereleased by a fan/hacker which fixed all the AI bugs, made the opponents smarter instead of just giving them impossible buffs per difficultly level, and fixed the travesty of air units not being able to overfly enemy units without attacking them...

It could be the greatest simulation game ever made...
Isn't that what Freeciv is?

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that animated movies still are considered dumb kiddie entertainment by the large masses.
Never mind that there are several good animated films out there which tackle difficult subjects in a more mature and artful way than most live-action movies,
the notion that animated is automatically kid-friendly have most likely made innocent kids suffer as well.

I have already read about traumatized kids being dragged out of theaters showing Sausage Party... 8-0

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 08/09/2016 22:13:39
It grinds my gears that animated movies still are considered dumb kiddie entertainment by the large masses.
Never mind that there are several good animated films out there which tackle difficult subjects in a more mature and artful way than most live-action movies,
the notion that animated is automatically kid-friendly have most likely made innocent kids suffer as well.

I have already read about traumatized kids being dragged out of theaters showing Sausage Party... 8-0
I can't agree with this enough!
That really grinds my gears as well. >:(

Cassiebsg

well... Princese Mononoke was rated +6 (or all ages, can't remember anymore) in Portugal. I went to see in at the cinema with a friend, and there were several parents with small children... let's just say that after about 2 minutes into the movie, most (if not all) parents with small children left! 8-0

I think the ppl rating looked at it and said "Cartoon movie... it's for kids!"... but they never even saw 5 minutes of it! >:(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk