What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Well we do have sun here and volvo is no longer owned by swedes :-D but i totally understand your way of thinking haha
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/09/2016 11:12:59
it grinds my gears that some people have their headlights on when it's a bright and sunny morning,

Required by law in Denmark... ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Quote from: Mouth for war on Thu 15/09/2016 19:18:45
Well we do have sun here and volvo is no longer owned by swedes :-D but i totally understand your way of thinking haha

Well I did learn to drive 20 years ago... :-D

Snarky

Quote from: Mouth for war on Thu 15/09/2016 10:42:26
Speaking of cars again. It really grinds my gears when a car is closing in on you at night and don't switch off the full headlight (not sure what the name for that is in english. Driving beam?) removes your vision completely!
Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 15/09/2016 12:45:53
Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/09/2016 11:12:59
Speaking of cars some more, it grinds my gears that some people have their headlights on when it's a bright and sunny morning...
Are they Volvos, by any chance? I'm sure I'll be corrected but I heard Volvos always have their headlights in because they are from Sweden, where the sun don't shine.

To be clear, Volvos don't have always-on high-beams, because that would be insane.

Actually, what they have are always-on "daytime running lights", which have been mandatory in Sweden for almost 40 years (and for decades in the rest of the Nordic countries, as well as Canada), a rule that has recently been adopted all over Europe. It used to be that manufacturers could choose whether to add separate lamps or just always leave the low-beam lights on (which I guess some Volvos did?), but under the new rules it has to be a separate set of lamps.

And this is a good thing, because lights improve visibility and safety even in daytime, as long as they're not excessively bright.

Mandle

I know I was whinging about CNN earlier in the thread, but just now they gave me one of the best laughs I've had recently:

Quote(CNN) News that Angelina Jolie is filing for divorce from Brad Pitt is causing rumbles -- and not just on social media.
The US Geological Survey detected a small earthquake Tuesday near Los Angeles just minutes after news broke that the power couple were splitting up.

CNN has confirmed the two incidents are unrelated.

OMG classic!

But I should be posting something that grinds my gears so:

What grinds my gears is this awesome silly song songified from a popular youtuber's lets plays by Schmoyoho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJPc49z57bU

It grinds my gears that I can't stop singing it at random moments through the day...

I challenge anyone to listen to this song and NOT get it stuck in their head...Jesus, it's crainial superglue or something!

dactylopus

What grinds my gears is when people don't use the Oxford comma, also known as the serial comma.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that some people complain that the presence of female fighters or black people in medieval fantasy is "historically inaccurate" but will readily accept things like:

Horns on viking helmets

Everyone, including poor peasants, having good teeth

Warriors wearing their swords strapped to their backs instead of their belts

pumpkins, potatoes and tomatoes (native to the american continent)

Zombies, orcs and other creatures that have never been part of European folklore

Mandle

This recent comment I found on a game in the AGS database grinds my gears:

(I'll refrain from mentioning names...)

Just from the screenshots alone, I see this is a good game. May be a while till I decide to play it myself, but I know this'll be a hit with Quest for Glory fans--one might say this is kind of "Quest for Glory--The Dark Side edition".
2016-09-30 14:53:03 by

Really?! You commented on a game you have not even played?!

Are you high and/or trolling?!

CaesarCub

I hate it when people open new threads that shows they didn't care about glancing at the rules. I'm not talking details, I'm talking looking at a new thread and wonder why they bothered at all.

Quote from: Some asshole
I'm making a new project. It's super secret so I can't give any details or screenshots, but I would need:

An artist to do backgrounds and characters for free.
A musician to make some music.
A dev with lots of AGS experience.
A writer to help me with the dialogue and the details of the story.

It's an indie project, so all positions are not payed.

Mouth for war

Oh yeah CaesarCub that really grinds my gears too :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Retro Wolf

That bothers me too! I think if you're going to make an indie game you either need to be the artist or programmer yourself. If you're not one of those then you best have the funds.

selmiak

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Wed 05/10/2016 20:45:01
If you're going to make an indie game you either need to be the artist or programmer yourself. If you're not one of those then you best have the funds.

this is so quoteworthy!

CaesarCub

That bothers me too! I think if you're going to make an indie game you either need to be the artist or programmer yourself. If you're not one of those then you best have the funds.

I actually don't get mad at a writer trying to make an adventure game (since adventure games are usually strongly story-driven), but they better have a story, good design documents, a chunk of the story done for real, and they won't get crazy mad if you turn them down after reading the stuff and deciding it's not to your liking.
I mean, if you can't draw or code, you can do a horribly coded with stick figures and boxes for graphics demo of the game to show people what a great idea you have.

The real issue to me is when they have "ideas" and "concepts" and you are given only a synopsis of the story, or get told you can see the actual stuff after you agreed to work in it, because their writing is so amazing you might steal it and make your own game.

CaptainD

My programming and artistic skills are pathetic, I concentrate on the bits I can actually be good at ie story, game design, voice acting, have also become handy at SFX.  What you say only applies if you are determined to be a solo dev.  Different skill sets are what teams are for!

Although... after reading CaesarCub's post maybe you're talking about something different altogether, someone who kind of dumps a very basic concept on you as if that was "designing" a game, which it clearly isn't. 

Blondbraid

This discussion reminds me about something the author Kalle Lind wrote about Walt Disney...
"Walt Disney was great at making animated movies. Except that he didn't make the animations. And he took the stories from old fairytales. Basically, he put his signature on the movies, but he had someone else design the signature for him.
So I don't know what Walt Disney actually did, but he was good at it."

In my opinion, choosing good artists and writers and being a good leader of a team as well as acting as a vision-bearer can also be very valuable skills.
However, there is a difference between working hard to manage a group project and just look for others to do all the hard work for you.

Another thing that grinds my gears: People who insist licorice counts as candy.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 06/10/2016 14:17:10
"Walt Disney was great at making animated movies. Except that he didn't make the animations. And he took the stories from old fairytales. Basically, he put his signature on the movies, but he had someone else design the signature for him.
So I don't know what Walt Disney actually did, but he was good at it."

In my opinion, choosing good artists and writers and being a good leader of a team as well as acting as a vision-bearer can also be very valuable skills.
However, there is a difference between working hard to manage a group project and just look for others to do all the hard work for you.

Well, Walt Disney was good at selling and getting money.
He acted scenes and sweet talked the producers to get the funding for Snow White.
And then he payed the people that worked at his studio.

There's a difference between a manager that says "We are making a Snow White point and click adventure, here's money."
And one that says "We are making a Snow White point and click adventure, I'm sure when we finish it we will get rich, but for now we all have to put some effort."

The second guy might actually be sincere and good at being a leader, but 9 out of 10 times, he just wants to be successful by making other people work for it.

CaptainD

It seems that you're talking about an individual who gathers people to do his / her bidding instead of someone who forms a genuine team.  If that's the case then I agree with you.  However most indie game teams are formed to pool various talents - if one person can do a good job at every single element of creating a game, they often go ahead and do it as a solo dev.  Not many people can do that.

CaesarCub

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 06/10/2016 14:48:24
It seems that you're talking about an individual who gathers people to do his / her bidding instead of someone who forms a genuine team.  If that's the case then I agree with you.  However most indie game teams are formed to pool various talents - if one person can do a good job at every single element of creating a game, they often go ahead and do it as a solo dev.  Not many people can do that.

Well, my original rant was about people that make posts that you know will be ignored. Like starting a Game in Progress thread with no real description or images, or a recruiting post that tells you nothing about the game in particular.
The example I gave did have a secondary layer of things that annoy me.
People that think that just an idea is enough to make others work for them since they already contributed or people that expect others to join their teams when there are no definitions on what they really want to do are some examples.

Good indie teams are made of people that that are good at different things working together to make something.
I don't expect someone to be a solo dev.
I usually go that way, and I know it sucks because it becomes unbearable the moment you try to make the scope of the project bigger.

On the latter posts I was mostly referring to people that pretend to be the creators of a project when they only have an idea or a concept, but nothing else to contribute (whether it's skills or money).

Blondbraid

Well, I agree with you there, CaesarCub.
You can see similar things on Kickstarter, with someone giving a super vague idea and then expect people to pour them money.

CaptainD

Yup don't really disagree with any of that.  Some of the crowd-funding campaign pages you see are laughably bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk