What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Wolf

@Selmiak: Put it in your signature! ;)

@CaptainD: At least you know the basics, you've also built a good reputation in the community. A lot of these sort of posts tend to be made by people who just registered, or have no proof of their abilities.

CaptainD

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 06/10/2016 15:45:27
A lot of these sort of posts tend to be made by people who just registered, or have no proof of their abilities.

Ah, I see... should have realised that's what you were targeting.  I think sometimes it's more that people don't actually understand just how much work and talent goes into making a good game than deliberately "taking advantage" (although not always), but I see your point.

Blondbraid

Popup ads grind my gears, along with auto-play video commercials and animated GIF-banners.

I mean, who on earth has ever in the history of planet earth clicked on those things for any reason other
than frantically trying to close them down before those ungodly noises and flashing lights give them a seizure?

And did someone actually think that "I know exactly what will sell our generic product, people love flashing images and stolen sound effects ground into a hideous mess!"?

Because noisy and/or animated ads doesn't make me want to see what they are selling.
Noisy and/or animated ads make me want to see how fast I can hit Alt+F4 without breaking my keyboard.

cat

Danvzare

I remember when I first installed Adblock.
I was marathoning Game Theory, and I was just getting the same (terrible) advert over and over again. It was driving me CRAZY!!!
Then as I was reading the comment section, it turned out other people were having the same problem, and someone suggested Adblock. There were those that were saying that Adblock wouldn't be able to stop Youtube ads, but I gave it a shot, and guess what, it did stop those ads.

Not only that, but I think it has drastically reduced the number of viruses I've been picking up as well.

I highly HIGHLY recommend Adblock. Just remember to disable it on websites you want you to support. :)

Blondbraid

Yes, thanks for the tip you both!
Adblock do block most of the worst offenders,
which just proves how useless those ads are.

Who thought such a thing was a good idea is an absolute mystery to me. ???

Speaking of brightly colored garbage, I don't know what grind my gears most,
free to play games with a ton of micro-transactions and terrible gameplay,
or the kind of people who actually spend real-life money on such things.

I saw micro-transactions on Candy Crush for up to 10 US dollars! Don't they know how much real, actual and edible candy you can get for that sum? (wtf)

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 21/10/2016 21:11:29
Who thought such a thing was a good idea is an absolute mystery to me. ???

Then you might be satisfied to know that I was just reading an article the other day about how the dude that invented popup ads has just recently apologized for doing so.

He said something like that he was young and it seemed like a good idea at the time. But that now it has gotten out of control and turned into a kind of virus in and of itself. He also said that he hopes one day people will be able to look back on popup ads as a weird and quaint artifact of the past and wonder wtf people were thinking.

Cassiebsg

Amen!

I also installed AdBlock to stop the forced adds on youtube... the popups and all other crap, I had already stopped by using NoScript, Flash block and Stop Autoplay (yes, I'm paranoid! Also have the Self-Destruting cookies" add-on).... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

What grinds my gears is on Twitter where pictures are addressed as pic.twitter.com but videos also appear under pic.twitter.com

I have my Twitter app to hide all media until I click them but sometimes, on a busy train, I click on a "picture" because it says pic.twitter.com... But noooOOOooo. A loud video starts playibg instead. I have even contacted Twitter with my ingenious idea of having videos under, say, vid.twitter.com instead. But I guess they were too busy to reply.

Retro Wolf

I've read somewhere that Google is planning to give sites a lower rank in their search results if they have pop-up ads.

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 22/10/2016 00:51:01
I also installed AdBlock to stop the forced adds on youtube... the popups and all other crap, I had already stopped by using NoScript, Flash block and Stop Autoplay (yes, I'm paranoid! Also have the Self-Destruting cookies" add-on).... (roll)
*takes notes and prepares to install suggested add-ons*
I'm not paranoid either. (roll)

Jack

It really grinds my gears when two legged animals throw their trash out the window.

It could be a bus or a porsche SUV, they still do it.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Thu 27/10/2016 18:20:19
It really grinds my gears when two legged animals throw their trash out the window.

It could be a bus or a porsche SUV, they still do it.
Yeah, damn those ostriches that litter!

Gurok

Damn that litter that ostriches!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Blondbraid

Littering is terrible, I've never understood people who just throw away their garbage out in the open.
Cigarette smokers are the worst offenders, at least discarded candy wrappers never started a forest fire,
but chewing gum is pretty gross too. I just hate people who leave stains of gum on the street or smeared
under school benches. I mean, if there really aren't any nearby trashcans, just swallow the stupid gum.
Accidentally getting gum on my shoes makes me wish the 700$ fine they have in Singapore could be applied worldwide!

Mandle

Quote from: Jack on Thu 27/10/2016 18:20:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfQo1ANeLM

Mouth for war

Ok i got one thing that grinds my gears. People who asks for help in a forum...edits their post with a "nevermind i figured it out" but doesn't bother to explain how they solved it!!! :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Blondbraid

There's one thing that grinds my gears, and I thought it might be worth pointing out today.
This year is about to end, and many celebrate with fireworks. One problem however, is that
some people start way before midnight, and continue with the fireworks for hours afterwards too.
All the noise and racket is annoying for me, but an absolutely terrifying experience for all dogs
in the area, so I hope anyone reading this send a thought to the poor animals and wait until midnight
with the fireworks, and then don't keep at it for too long.

Mouth for war

Not only that...they insist on blasting off their rockets/crackers several days before and several weeks after new years eve as well. It grinds my gears too :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk