What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 24/03/2017 01:16:42
I keep getting adverts for the company I bloody work for!
I was getting adverts for company my company has produced software for :).

Blondbraid

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 23/03/2017 14:45:04
More like annoying than making me angry, Google thinks I'm a Muslim. There's always an advert for Muslim brides or some religious event. A few years ago Adeel was talking about Ramadan, so I googled it out of curiosity. Did it a few times when he mentioned stuff. I do have Ad-blocker, but only on my laptop.
I can relate, but for me it was adverts from dating sites for russian import wives... (wtf) I have no idea on how they made the connection -> reads a lot about videogames and spend way too much time on browsing TVtropes = I'm a middle-aged buissnessman looking for a russian girlfriend! ??? One other reason to use Ad block.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 24/03/2017 12:14:26
I have no idea on how they made the connection -> reads a lot about videogames
That seems like a pretty cut and dry connection to me. Everyone knows that anyone who likes videogames is a lonely basement dwelling virgin. Who else would be a better candidate for a Russian girlfriend. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 24/03/2017 12:33:40
That seems like a pretty cut and dry connection to me. Everyone knows that anyone who likes videogames is a lonely basement dwelling virgin. Who else would be a better candidate for a Russian girlfriend. (laugh)
Donald Trump? :)

Cassiebsg

* Cassiebsg wonders what are those "adverts" ppl talk about...  (wtf)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 24/03/2017 15:17:16
* Cassiebsg wonders what are those "adverts" ppl talk about...  (wtf)

I was wondering the same...

Where can we see these google adverts?

[delete}

Nothing, everything is fine

Retro Wolf

There's a functional door bell on my front door, when someone presses it I can hear it throughout the house. Half the people who come to my door give it a gentle knock so I have no idea they're there until they've been stood there ages.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Wed 19/04/2017 20:29:42
There's a functional door bell on my front door, when someone presses it I can hear it throughout the house. Half the people who come to my door give it a gentle knock so I have no idea they're there until they've been stood there ages.

You need a sign saying "RING THE DAMN BELL!"

Cassiebsg

I've been thinking of adding such a sign too lately, specially our postman doesn't seem to know how it works.  (wrong)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 21/04/2017 17:56:10
I've been thinking of adding such a sign too lately, specially our postman doesn't seem to know how it works.  (wrong)

In what way does he misuse your doorbell?

Does he always ring twice? 8-)

Cassiebsg

"The postman never rings once, much less twice"

Mandle

Stupot

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Isabelle.
Isabelle who?
Isabelle really necessary when I can just knock?

CaptainD

Time traveler!
Who's there?
Knock knock.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 27/04/2017 09:14:05
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Isabelle.
Isabelle who?
Isabelle really necessary when I can just knock?

Yeah, knock-knock jokes really grind my gears too! :P

CaptainD

Knock knock
Who's there?
Mandle
Mandle who?
Mandle who really has his gears ground by knock knock jokes

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears whenever people making games/comics/movies promoting a "strong female character"
and say "she's not like other girls, she's a strong independent woman" and then proceeds to use exactly the same cookie-cutter character we've all seen before,
who starts out being pointlessly rude only to have a change of heart and fall for the hero anyway, and despite being introduced as a strong fighter just ends up being
used as damsel in distress in the third act anyway. Seriously, these characters are so predictable they should be considered walking spoilers by now.

Gurok

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 03/05/2017 22:25:47It grinds my gears whenever people making games/comics/movies promoting a "strong female character"

You could stop right there if you wanted, because it shouldn't be exceptional to have one.

I like your analysis. I remember thinking this about Nina in the Secret Files games. She gives so much sass all game that she just seems like a rude person. There's a point in one game where she gives sass to a SWAT crew in her underwear. She's strong, independent, but she needs Max because... ? Also, they end up getting married, so she really is the archetype you're talking about.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Blondbraid

Quote from: Gurok on Thu 04/05/2017 08:58:21
Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 03/05/2017 22:25:47It grinds my gears whenever people making games/comics/movies promoting a "strong female character"

You could stop right there if you wanted, because it shouldn't be exceptional to have one.

I like your analysis. I remember thinking this about Nina in the Secret Files games. She gives so much sass all game that she just seems like a rude person. There's a point in one game where she gives sass to a SWAT crew in her underwear. She's strong, independent, but she needs Max because... ? Also, they end up getting married, so she really is the archetype you're talking about.
I think Nina is far from the worst example, but yeah, so many of her lines are pretty cringe-worthy, especially the jokes on housecleaning, they felt recycled from the 1950's.  (wrong)

While we're at the subject, it also bugs me when people claim that female action heroes are unrealistic because the average man is slightly larger and stronger than the average woman.
Aside from the existence of guns, bows, spears and naginatas rendering size a moot point, male action heroes defeat bigger and stronger foes all the time!
Like when Indiana Jones fights that huge, muscular guy, or when Indiana Jones fights that other huge, muscular guy(roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk