What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

It's so hard to keep up with, though. People seems to be constantly finding new things to be offended by and it's getting unreasonable. Of course anything racist is bound to be unacceptable, but then you get things like this:
Quote from: “Twitter Guy”One of the best ways to hurt an artistic person is to wait until right after they finish a long project and then ask them "so what's next?"

...and all the back-patting twitter hugs from everyone in the replies who have just realised that it offends them too, while all secretly wishing they had been the first one to have thought of this new angle, this new way to acquire twitter hugs.

Absolutely moronic. I even got blocked by someone because of that thread.

So no, giving up your seat for an elderly lady is not a problem. But when you wake up every morning and find that actually, now the done thing is to not use a seat in the first place, just in case an old lady needs one.... okay, so i'll Stand... but now apparently old ladies don't like seeing people standing because it reminds them of their lack of agility and they get upset. So now we have to use a seperate carriage. Before you know it, just mentioning trains will trigger all the old people, but more than that it will trigger everybody else as well because we all want to get offended on everyone else's behalf.

I will happily avoid racial slurs and I am in solidarity with everyone of all genders and sexual preferences. But there is a point where I will defend my right to ask an artist whose work admire “what's next?” And I will shout the word TRAIN in your face whenever the above hypothetical scenario occurs.

Mandle

Wow, Stu. I'm reading that feed and, those people attacking you in there are just... I have no other word but... WOW!

Also: you are now officially a hero of mine for this:

Stuart Forbes @StuartForbes
May 10

I dabble in creative attempts, but no I guess I can't presume to call myself an artist. I've clearly demonstrated that I lack the imagination to turn a simple question into a beautiful work of abstract expressionism.

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Stupot

Yeah, that's when she blocked me. Haha.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 17/06/2018 03:56:26
Yeah, that's when she blocked me. Haha.

Hahahahaha! I would have had to have said at least "touche"...

Spoiler
...before blocking you.
[close]

Blondbraid

I don't see how the twitter example has anything to do with political correctness, and extremely sensitive artists are by no means a new phenomenon. As long as there have been art, there have been artists interpreting everything that isn't immediate praise as bullying, and others, often with artistic aspirations themselves, jump on because it means no one can criticize what they like either. I think this is more about artists with inflated egos and fandoms rather than any form of pc-culture.

I think it's worth remembering that whenever you think that pc-culture is stupid, the opposing side will do something even stupider. For example, in Sweden there's a treat made of butter, cacao, sugar and oatmeal rolled into a ball that's nowadays called chocolate-ball, but in the 1950's they used to call it n-word ball. When this was changed for obvious reasons, lots of old people complained about the name change, but most people today do prefer the name that actually describe what the chocolate balls taste like and does't imply that the balls were created by castrating a black man.

Likewise, when several people wanted to expand the Swedish language by introducing a third, gender neutral pronoun, lots of people protested and put up tons of ridiculous straw-man arguments about "shall we be forced to burn all the old books with the old pronouns in them" and "kids won't be allowed to be girls and boys anymore", none of which ever happened when the third pronoun became popular. People in Sweden didn't stop using he or she as pronouns, most people simply discovered that having a gender-neutral pronoun is a good option to have for situations when you want to adress both men and women at the same time.

Danvzare

On the one hand, I completely understand why that person posted what Golliwog meant. The person seemed to be trying to be helpful, but their response to you was completely out of order. It was THAT person who was being passive-aggressive, you were simply correcting them.
I've actually heard people complain to me about the word crackers being offensive, as that's what black people call white people in America. But that won't stop me from using the word, because A: that's what we call those things we pull apart at Christmas, and B: what else am I supposed to call people who crack games?

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 15/06/2018 09:35:08
She is bowing down to this SJW (who is white of course)
It grinds my gears when people use the word SJW. People use it too much to dismiss others. I've heard people who certainty are NOT an SJW being called an SJW, just because they say things that other people disagree with. The world is starting to become overrun with SJWJWs who call everyone SJWs!
These are the same people who claim everything is becoming offensive, and I hate it when people are easily offended about other people apparently being easily offended! And Facebook is full of people who are trying to find every excuse to be offended about easily offended people!
What's worse, is that I've not seen a single person notice this meta trend! :~(

Mouth for war

There's too damn much pc now in the world and it makes me sick. We will have generations who will be afraid of everything. I read about a woman who wanted to ban that book/story...which one is it. The sleeping beauty? The one where she wakes up by a kiss from a prince. The woman thought that the message frpm that story is that it's ok to take advantage of passed out women...come on...really?!? I am so sick of that stuff. People who do bad stuff will do it no matter what book you ban.

Oh and the fact that people still refer to each other by colour is just stupid...some people act like we're not even the same species...who gives a crap if a cat is white or black or whatever? It's still a cat. Even though cat's don't have different culture like humans, we are still all humans. Racism is stupid. It's actually not that difficult to just tolerate each other but many people won't even try it. No it's better to immediately hate someone because we are different. I will never understand why we can't just leave each other in peace instead of in pieces. That my good people, is what grinds my gears :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 19/06/2018 13:58:42
It grinds my gears when people use the word SJW. People use it too much to dismiss others. I've heard people who certainty are NOT an SJW being called an SJW, just because they say things that other people disagree with. The world is starting to become overrun with SJWJWs who call everyone SJWs!
These are the same people who claim everything is becoming offensive, and I hate it when people are easily offended about other people apparently being easily offended! And Facebook is full of people who are trying to find every excuse to be offended about easily offended people!
What's worse, is that I've not seen a single person notice this meta trend! :~(
I couldn't agree more! SJW is so broadly applied that it's practically a meaningless term.

Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 19/06/2018 14:48:55
There's too damn much pc now in the world and it makes me sick. We will have generations who will be afraid of everything. I read about a woman who wanted to ban that book/story...which one is it. The sleeping beauty? The one where she wakes up by a kiss from a prince. The woman thought that the message frpm that story is that it's ok to take advantage of passed out women...come on...really?!? I am so sick of that stuff. People who do bad stuff will do it no matter what book you ban.
Unless that woman is a high up political leader with a huge following, I don't see how she could possibly ban that book, and I don't think random opinions of a random person alone will never be a threat to free speech.

Many complain about too much political correctness, but the opposite is far worse, because when racist and sexist jokes are commonly accepted, racists and misogynists will feel that their views are justified and some of them will feel emboldened to act on their views. I have seen so many fandoms and communities that could have been great be ruined by bullying, girls being automatically harassed and threatened just because they are girls and anyone who isn't white gets barraged with racist slurs. This is one of the few communities I've found where I actually feel welcome enough to share my thoughts and my work without risking being bullied and harassed, and this is also why I am wary of comments complaining about pc culture going to far, because I have seen too many others use such words as an excuse for advocating threats and harassment directed towards queer people, women, people of color or anyone that is part of a minority.

Mouth for war

I just know that the person behind the labels and colours is what matters the most to me. Nice and respectful people are always welcome in my life.

Jack

It's lamentable that competitive trash talk in a competitive environment becomes harassment when someone of feminine sensibilities is thrown into the mix.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Jack on Tue 19/06/2018 22:09:23
It's lamentable that competitive trash talk in a competitive environment becomes harassment when someone of feminine sensibilities is thrown into the mix.
This is what I meant when I say I'm weary of complaints about pc culture. Most women can tell the difference between harassment and mere trash talk, and not all men feel comfortable hearing racist or homophobic slurs, and it's tiresome to see people dismissed as oversensitive when they have legitimate grievances. I know plenty of women who have not only faced severe harassment and bullying, but also stalking, rape threats and threats of severe violence, and many men who have faced homophobic insults and similar threats just for standing up to women or speaking up against racist comments. It might be easy for somebody who have never experienced any such threats to dismiss it as mere words, but people who are born as women, as LGBTQ or as an ethnic minority have been made to learn early on that they risk facing violence just for who they are, that others like them have become victims of horrible crimes for letting their guard down, and there is too often little in the way of telling if a bigoted joke is just going to stay a joke or if if the person behind it have something more sinister in mind. So while to some, it's just mean jokes, to others it's a stark reminder that there are people out there who sees them as less than human.

And if it's anything else that grinds my gears, it's that what used to be a fun thread about everyday annoyances has devolved into a sad discussion on "SJWs".

Jack

Oh, the harassment is real in many cases. Not the physical kind which pretty much never happens, but real verbal harassment. The nail that sticks out gets hammered.

It's a bunch of guys trying to shoot each other in the head, and the culture is pretty much at the level of discussing the unbelievable size of Nemo's mom's rear end. In comes Sally the friendly explorer, saying "hey, guys" in a squeaky and irrationally optimistic voice. Its as if a lamb walks into the lion's den. There's a moment of silence and then all hell breaks loose. What used to be namecalling from everyone to everyone else immediately turns into same from everyone to the new person, because they don't fit in. It's an ancient ritual. The new member is tested to see if they can measure up to the group. But Sally doesn't know this, cannot know this.

So yes it's lamentable that these guys can't put themselves in Sally's shoes. Now they feel that they have lost their forum for the discussion of the frankly distressing geological scale of Nemo's mom's butt, just because of Sally. They leave this community to find another that might be less censored and probably even more crass, and Sally is left alone trying to open a dialogue with the nazis in a WW2 game. And no one is happy.

Mandle

It really grinds my gears when every work day in a week is a beautiful sunny day (because I can't fully enjoy it) and every day off is bleak and rainy (because then I'll just stay home).

It also grinds my gears when every work day in a week is bleak and rainy (because I have to go out in it) and every day off is a beautiful sunny day (because then I have no excuse to just stay home).

josiah1221

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 20/06/2018 03:13:33
It really grinds my gears when every work day in a week is a beautiful sunny day (because I can't fully enjoy it) and every day off is bleak and rainy (because then I'll just stay home).

It also grinds my gears when every work day in a week is bleak and rainy (because I have to go out in it) and every day off is a beautiful sunny day (because then I have no excuse to just stay home).

Haha, so very true my friend, so very true!

Mouth for war

A game maker's best friend is rain :-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mouth for war on Wed 20/06/2018 13:50:47
A game maker's best friend is rain :-D
This is why Sweden has such a strong game industry. :)

Mouth for war

Jag håller med dig ;-D (I agree with you)

Retro Wolf

How about slow loading GUIs on anything like phones, consoles, computers, it's just a few pictures and some text! It's as if we're constantly kept in a state of crapiness!

Privateer Puddin'

61 pages and still no one has solved the riddle.

Frodo

What grinds my gears, is when shops only have 1 till open when there's a big queue, and keep the other 10 tills closed.  :angry:
What's the point in having multiple tills, when they don't get used?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk