What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: Frodo on Thu 21/06/2018 11:10:43
What grinds my gears, is when shops only have 1 till open when there's a big queue, and keep the other 10 tills closed.  :angry:
What's the point in having multiple tills, when they don't get used?
It's because they're understaffed, and the staff are struggling just to keep the shelves stocked and the prices up to date.
Although I have to agree with you. What IS the point of having multiple tills if they never get used? If you don't intend to ever hire more than ten people, don't have ten tills! >:(

ManicMatt

These companies want you to use the self service, so they can hire less people, which is exactly what has happened. I guess having more tills is useful for breakdowns and Christmas time when they hire temps, but I absolutely refuse to use self service, and in the case of some shops I've been in where NO tills were open, I made the on hand staff member scan everything through, and if they start trying to teach me how to use it I'd tell them not to bother.

Mouth for war

It grinds the hell out of my gears as well and also when you only have 1 or 2 items you need to buy and the person in front of you has their whole damn cart full of stuff and won't even consider to let you go before them. I always do that myself if I have a lot of stuff
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

josiah1221

Man, I sooo agree with this. Reason I despise going to Wal-mart. 20 tills and on a regular basis maybe 3 are open so you are usually forced to use the self check-out and of course as Mouth of war said you have to wait on inconsiderate people with a full or multiple full carts while you just want to check-out your 1 or 2 items, grrr!!!:angry:

Mouth for war

Yeah, sometimes I ask if I can go ahead because "I'm in a hurry" usually it's ok. Sometimes it's totally to your advantage to look like a criminal :D

Retro Wolf

Every time I use a self service checkout, something goes wrong and a member of staff has to fix it.

Blondbraid

I never liked self-service checkouts, I always end up paranoid that I'll forget to scan something and they'll think I'm trying to shoplift, plus I've always detested self-service as a concept, it's just a lazy way for the greedy cheapskates who run the place to cut corners while pretending to be more modern and effective.

josiah1221

Also what really grinds my gears is when something is blocking your lane, a car pulled over by the police or broke down on the curb, so you kindly put on your blinker to change to the other lane when everyone behind you does the same and darts around you not allowing you to therefore having to stop and wait for the inconsiderate people to finally clear the way so you can finally change lanes. SMDH!!!

Mouth for war

Oh don't even get me started on traffic stuff. Not much can piss me off faster than morons in traffic, people who don't keep their distance, those who must drive past you when the 2 lane road is just about to turn into 1 lane. People who always drive a lot slower than the speed limit on streets where you can't drive padt them. Those who just step on it at an intersection so that you must hit the brakes or smash into them. Sometimes I would like to have a keyboard inside and everything I type would appear on a screen in the back window...oh that would be so great :-D

Mandle

Every morning here in Japan I see cars racing through the red light at the same intersection so long after the lights have changed that they are dodging pedestrians already walking out onto the crossing. One time I even pulled back a schoolboy by the shoulder who they wouldn't have seen over their bonnet in time.

I have spoken to police I see on the street to report this intersection and advise that they put a patrolman there from 8AM every morning until 10AM. But this never happens.

Meanwhile my wife and I get stopped and handed a warning ticket for riding our bicycles side-by-side on a country road with absolutely no traffic as far as the eye can see.

Gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling every time I pay my city taxes.

dayowlron

I hate the ones that drive 80 mph to get in front of you then slow down to 50 mph.
There is also a place where 2 lanes meet up with the other 3 lanes from the right then just up ahead about 100 feet the right lane exits and its an exit i have to use to get to work. So i have about 100 feet to move over 2 lanes and there is always someone in the far right that doesnt want to exit so they choose then to move over so any opening in the traffic they take. They had at least a few miles to get in the correct lane while i have 100 feet to move over 2 lanes. (hope i explained this well enough)
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Danvzare

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 21/06/2018 21:16:56
Every time I use a self service checkout, something goes wrong and a member of staff has to fix it.
You ever had it give you the wrong change? Or none at all?
I've seen that happen TWICE!
Once to my mother, and once to my father. Both times the staff had terrible manners, thinking they were just out to steal.
Both completely different stores as wells.

dactylopus

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 21/06/2018 13:30:50
These companies want you to use the self service, so they can hire less people, which is exactly what has happened. I guess having more tills is useful for breakdowns and Christmas time when they hire temps, but I absolutely refuse to use self service, and in the case of some shops I've been in where NO tills were open, I made the on hand staff member scan everything through, and if they start trying to teach me how to use it I'd tell them not to bother.
I prefer self check-out actually.  I can handle my own items.  I just hate long lines.
Quote from: Mouth for war on Fri 22/06/2018 09:35:11
Oh don't even get me started on traffic stuff. Not much can piss me off faster than morons in traffic
Same here!

Stupot

Self-checkout machines grind my gears too. I know the it's become a bit cliché to joke about ‘unexpected item in the bagging area' but when the only item in the bagging area is a frigging bag you know something is wrong with this technology. I much prefer a human cashier to serve me... and I don't even like people.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 22/06/2018 23:10:16
I much prefer a human cashier to serve me... and I don't even like people.

Also you live in a country where cashiers almost never deviate from the script.

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 22/06/2018 23:12:44
Quote from: Stupot on Fri 22/06/2018 23:10:16
I much prefer a human cashier to serve me... and I don't even like people.

Also you live in a country where cashiers almost never deviate from the script.
oh god yeah. Don't get me started on the cashiers here. They'll ask a question and then don't even listen to my answer before moving onto the next step of the transaction. Or they'll tell me the total price of the shopping before I've had a chance to tell them I want to buy a coffee and pay some bills when I'm clearly waving a handful of utility bills and looking at the coffee menu going 'ummmm'

I've worked in a corner shop, for six years. I know it can get repetitive but damn me Japan does repetition very very well. It's how they learn everything in school. It's why they can listen to the same peice of music, or even the same 10-second jingle over and over and over again all day long. I would go mental if I worked in “Bicu bicu bicu Bic Camera”

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 22/06/2018 23:33:32
I would go mental if I worked in “Bicu bicu bicu Bic Camera”

Hahahaha! Yeah, and how about the electronic chimes noise whenever someone enters or leaves a convenience store? At rush hour, like 8AM-9AM that thing just keeps going and going as if some AGS game dev set the audio to play on repeat by mistake.

Even as a customer in there for 5 minutes max I feel like finding the speaker and ripping it out of the wall!!!

I guess maybe it's like a bad smell. If you're constantly in it you just stop noticing?

Another thing about those in-store jingles: Why do they even have them?! Why are they using their advertising jingle in their store that I'm already in?!

Also, it cracks me up when I go to the supermarket and they are playing the Indiana Jones theme at high volume as their Musak!

I made up some lyrics that I sing along to it, much to my wife's shame:

"O-KAIMONO!...BOKEN-DA!...O-KAIMONO!...SU-BA-RASHIKU!...O-KAIMONO!...BOKEN-DAAA!...O-KAIMONO! KAIMONO! KAIMONO-DAZE!"

Retro Wolf

How about Windows 10 reverting settings every time it updates! Some games are impossible to play if the laptop's trackpad is disabled when a keyboard key is pressed. You can't do the old WASD and mouse! I keep having to switch it off! WHY?!

Jack

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sat 23/06/2018 19:29:15
How about Windows 10 reverting settings every time it updates! Some games are impossible to play if the laptop's trackpad is disabled when a keyboard key is pressed. You can't do the old WASD and mouse! I keep having to switch it off! WHY?!
Budget cuts. Low quality programming.

Or maybe it resets telemetry settings too?

Cassiebsg

Because they want you to use the product the way they want it to work! Don't be so independent! :P
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk