What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

josiah1221

What grinds my gears is sitting at a 4 way stop and the vehicle to my right, who has the right of way, just sits there. So I start to easy forward, then they do, so I stop, then they stop. Ugh! Come to find out the driver was waving for me to go but I couldn't see them through their blacked out windows. (roll)

TheFrighter

What grinds my ears is the young boys that buy online a pair of sneakers at 1000$ 'cause are limited edition... well knowing that who are selling bought it at 200$!

_

Stupot

I wouldn't even pay $200. Not for something whose literal purpose is to be repeatedly pumped into a filthy pavement on a daily basis.

Click'd

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 24/10/2018 09:51:47
I wouldn't even pay $200. Not for something whose literal purpose is to be repeatedly pumped into a filthy pavement on a daily basis.
Maybe not the case with sneakers, but when you buy more expensive clothes where you don't pay for the brand name but for the craftsmanship, this will save you lots of money in the long run. Cheap shoes have to be replaced more often.

Also, they might not wear the stuff but treat it as an investment.

Stupot

I'm not entirely convinced. The people who spend that kind of money on sneakers, they generally want to be seen wearing them.

Click'd

Maybe they buy two pairs.

dactylopus

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 24/10/2018 10:57:58
I'm not entirely convinced. The people who spend that kind of money on sneakers, they generally want to be seen wearing them.
At a certain point, yes, you're right.  I have purchased $20 shoes, and they wore out quickly and needed to be replaced.  I have purchased $100 shoes and they have had a much better lifespan.  They lasted easily as long as 5 pairs of the other shoes.  But craftsmanship can only be so good, and materials will wear out and break down.  I'm not sure I believe $200 shoes would last as long as 2 pairs of $100 shoes, etc.

Click'd

Let me grind something related: I'm tall and left-handed, so tools and clothes for me are both rare AND expensive.

Blondbraid

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Wed 24/10/2018 12:27:00
Let me grind something related: I'm tall and left-handed, so tools and clothes for me are both rare AND expensive.
There are similar problems when shopping women's clothes. No pockets, shirts and cardigans that can't be buttoned all the way up, and weird tailored sleeves that doesn't let you raise your arms comfortably.
And if you'r taller than 1.50 nine out of ten times clothes your size will be already sold out.

Gurok

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 24/10/2018 21:31:23
And if you'r taller than 1.50 nine out of ten times clothes your size will be already sold out.

150cm? That's pretty short.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Blondbraid

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 24/10/2018 22:49:26
Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 24/10/2018 21:31:23

150cm? That's pretty short.
Exactly, but every single time I try shopping for clothes nearly all the larger sizes have been picked off and maybe if you're lucky there's one left behind the pile of S and XS sized clothes.
I've no idea why stores even bother ordering so many surplus tiny clothes, but there's always a pile of them when I shop.

josiah1221

I'm short and left handed, so I definitely feel your pain!

Mandle

Quote from: josiah1221 on Thu 25/10/2018 05:57:20

I've been left short-handed so I maybe feel your pain kind of...?

josiah1221

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 26/10/2018 22:55:27
Quote from: josiah1221 on Thu 25/10/2018 05:57:20

I've been left short-handed so I maybe feel your pain kind of...?

(laugh)

Mandle

IT REALLY, REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS THAT SOMETHING AS GLORIOUS AS THIS IS TURNED INTO SOMETHING AS TRITE AS THIS FOR THE SAKE OF LAMETARDS WHO NEED THEIR DAILY DOSE OF WARM-FUZZIES TO COPE.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 02/11/2018 23:20:20
IT REALLY, REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS THAT SOMETHING AS GLORIOUS AS THIS IS TURNED INTO SOMETHING AS TRITE AS THIS FOR THE SAKE OF LAMETARDS WHO NEED THEIR DAILY DOSE OF WARM-FUZZIES TO COPE.
That story has already been retold at least a hundred times before, but with different treats, the oldest version came from a 1912 short story where a lady misstakenly takes 5£ from another woman on a bus, beliving that she had stolen it from her. It's basically an urban legend at this point, and being annoyed at one version is basically like being annoyed at a Robin Hood movie. No bother, they'll just make a new version to replace it next season.

dactylopus

The thing that bugs me about it is how he has to spell out the subtext.  Subtext shouldn't need to be made a part of the telling of the story.

Stupot

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 03/11/2018 07:41:58
The thing that bugs me about it is how he has to spell out the subtext.  Subtext shouldn't need to be made a part of the telling of the story.
Yeah it's really basic “we shouldn't judge people by the colour of their skin” stuff that while I admit some people seem like they need reminding. But if you're old enough to have a Facebook account and still have to be reminded about that then you are beyond help.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 03/11/2018 08:50:50
Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 03/11/2018 07:41:58
Yeah it's really basic “we shouldn't judge people by the colour of their skin” stuff that while I admit some people seem like they need reminding. But if you're old enough to have a Facebook account and still have to be reminded about that then you are beyond help.

That annoyed me as well, but what really grinded my gears the most was that a great comedic story was turned into some kind of "touching" FB video just to get views...

Read the last line of the best version of the story by Douglas Adams for one of the greatest punchlines of all time.

That's enough!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk