What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

The adventuregamers.com website has gone tits up as well. At least for the mobile version.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Frodo on Sun 11/11/2018 02:59:47
They wrecked their entire site, so it doesn't work properly any more.  It's a complete nightmare trying to navigate through it now. 
-  There's an empty black banner taking up half the screen. 
-  Username at the top, linking to your account has gone.
-  The Search feature \ magnifying glass doesn't work (nothing happens when you click on it), so you can't search for any games.
-  Huge empty space under 'Now On Sale'.  I think it's supposed to show some games they have for sale... but it's just a blank space.
-  No News anywhere in site, so you don't know what's new to the store.
-  Go to any of the game pages, and there's a big empty space where there SHOULD be screenshots showing what the game is like.
-  Also on the game pages, it doesn't say if you already own that game - it used to, but not anymore.
That's weird, I just checked their site and had none of those problems. I'm guessing it's an issue with your browser, cookies, and/or permissions.
I'm using Chrome on Ubuntu.

Frodo

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 11/11/2018 14:50:31
Quote from: Frodo on Sun 11/11/2018 02:59:47
They wrecked their entire site, so it doesn't work properly any more.  It's a complete nightmare trying to navigate through it now. 
-  There's an empty black banner taking up half the screen. 
-  Username at the top, linking to your account has gone.
-  The Search feature \ magnifying glass doesn't work (nothing happens when you click on it), so you can't search for any games.
-  Huge empty space under 'Now On Sale'.  I think it's supposed to show some games they have for sale... but it's just a blank space.
-  No News anywhere in site, so you don't know what's new to the store.
-  Go to any of the game pages, and there's a big empty space where there SHOULD be screenshots showing what the game is like.
-  Also on the game pages, it doesn't say if you already own that game - it used to, but not anymore.
That's weird, I just checked their site and had none of those problems. I'm guessing it's an issue with your browser, cookies, and/or permissions.
I'm using Chrome on Ubuntu.

Try looking at it with IE 11.
Every other site works fine - it's only GOG that manages to break it up so much.

Click'd

Question: Why do you use IE11?

Frodo

Why not use Internet Explorer 11?  It's a good browser, made for exploring the internet. 

cat

Quote from: Frodo on Mon 12/11/2018 03:59:07
It's a good browser 
No, it is not. It is old, outdated and has a lot of weird bugs. It's a pain to create websites that also support IE11. Companies start to evaluate what is cheaper: continue supporting IE11 or loosing IE11 users as customers. It seems that many start to think that supporting IE11 is not worth the effort.
Switch to Edge or any other modern browser.

Frodo

Quote from: cat on Mon 12/11/2018 10:09:38
Quote from: Frodo on Mon 12/11/2018 03:59:07
It's a good browser 
No, it is not. It is old, outdated and has a lot of weird bugs. It's a pain to create websites that also support IE11. Companies start to evaluate what is cheaper: continue supporting IE11 or loosing IE11 users as customers. It seems that many start to think that supporting IE11 is not worth the effort.
Switch to Edge or any other modern browser.

Why would I want to switch browsers?  Internet Explorer is meant for Exploring the Internet.  It's in the name. 
And like I said, GOG is the only site that messes this up.  Every other site, including my own sites, work fine in IE11. 

Danvzare

Quote from: Frodo on Mon 12/11/2018 10:41:05
Internet Explorer is meant for Exploring the Internet.  It's in the name. 
Strawberries aren't berries and Coconuts aren't nuts. Just because it's in the name, doesn't mean anything.
That being said, if you like Internet Explorer, then by all means, keep using it.

If you use another browser though, you'll eventually be glad you changed. But if you don't want to, that's your choice. :-D
Think of it as people telling you to brush your teeth in the morning and at night, instead of just at night. We're not telling you how to live your life, only what's better in the long term. ;)

Blondbraid

I haven't seen any problems using GOG on chrome.

I still end up using Steam mostly since I already have a big library there and there are free Steam key giveaways every once in a while.
But while Steam is still fine for now as long as you only want to buy games you already know about, it really grinds my gears that they
absolutely refuse to curate the content on their store, and will only remove broken files, asset flips and troll games once enough people
actively go out of their way to protest and report them. There's even been reports of straight up bitcoin mining scams being sold masquerading
as "games" on Steam, all which could have been avoided if Valve required any form of application process for their games other than just paying a fee.

And the 100$ fee might sort out a few kids trying to upload their projects for fun, but it will not actually deter any of the scammers and and
charlatans hoping to make it back by tricking gullible gamers.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

What Grinds my Gears

Microsoft Windows File Search

Searching for files using windows DOSE NOT WORK,, IT DOSE NOT WORK

Further more the files search has not worked properly since windows XP, and has got gradually worse and worse with every release of windows. It has got to the point that it finds NOTHING.. EVER
I wait for up-to half an hour while it ******* searches for files I KNOW exist on HD. .but yet no,  **** it says windows.  What the **** are microsoft doing here?  I am beyond angry with this, this is pathetic beyond belief how a multi-billion dollar company with an established os going back so many years cant provide simple ass ******* file search option, instead they implement some ******* useless ******* thing that NEVER, EVER, i say again NEVER< EVER finds ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL

absolute shame on your MS ... SHAME ON YOU MS  you shower of incompetent ******* assholes, you cant even develop simple feature to search for files,, you are pathetic.  PATHETIC

Danvzare

Ah, the Windows File Search.
No one understands how it works. There are those that say that all you need to do change a few settings to make it work properly.
While I completely relate to what you're saying, and I've had the exact same problem. Recently it's been working perfectly for me. And I have no idea why.

Blondbraid

Windows can be awful sometimes, but at least it isn't Mac.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I am sorry for my crazy rant. It is not such a major issue in my life really :)  (i was already in a bad mood)
Its still annoying as heck though.. I mean you would think a file search procedure would be a pretty straight forward operation.

I also forgot to mention along with windows taking ages to scan hd finding nothing when files clearly exists it was asked to find,  other times windows search literally dose not even bother to search.  you type a search term in and press search, windows search bar within a few seconds gets to the end as if its saying to itself   "oh search time..   searching.. um .. you know what, **** this, ill just stop right here and pretend a full search of a hd was done"

Danvzare

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Mon 10/12/2018 22:38:35
I am sorry for my crazy rant.
Don't be sorry. That's what this thread is here for!

Continuning on with the thread, it grinds my gears when I can't find an email that's supposed to have been sent to me, so I tell the person who was supposed to send it to me, and the only response I get is "check your spam".
Why does this grind my gears?
BECAUSE I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED IF I HADN'T ALREADY CHECKED MY SPAM!  >:(

Also, I couldn't post this on Chrome for some reason. I'm having to use Internet Explorer. I guess Frodo was right.  (laugh)

Frodo

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 11/12/2018 12:32:23
Also, I couldn't post this on Chrome for some reason. I'm having to use Internet Explorer. I guess Frodo was right.  (laugh)

Internet Explorer RULES!   :grin:

But yeah, I agree with the whole 'Check your spam folder' thing.  Drives me nuts.   :sealed:

Khris

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Mon 10/12/2018 22:38:35I also forgot to mention along with windows taking ages to scan hd finding nothing when files clearly exists it was asked to find,  other times windows search literally dose not even bother to search.
You might want to try this: https://superuser.com/questions/98958/clear-search-cache-on-windows-7/99059#99059

Jack

Don't listen to Khris, they live in Germany.

For true enlightenment, you must consider Everything

TheFrighter

Grinds my gear when i'm looking for a e-book in digital store, but it's sold-out! How is it possible go out of virtual copies?

_

Mouth for war

Haha sold out...yeah I fail to see the logic there. "we will accept 2000 copies of the same document and sell those"      - "Hey i've got an idea. How about 1 copy with infinite purchases?"
-"Umm no"
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

TheFrighter

Yeah. I don't know how it works, but even if is more difficult to program sure it worth it...

_

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk