What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Galen

Quotewhich above certain levels
Is undoubtedly critical though. We certainly don't need another wave of 'vaccines cause autism' scares to bring back yet more deaths by preventable diseases.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Mon 21/01/2019 01:47:50
which above certain levels causes autism and psychiatric disorders
Psychiatric disorders, maybe. Heck, probably. I don't know much about that part, but it sounds plausible.
But autism. Seriously!
Do you even know what autism is! That's like saying it'll make you left handed, or gay, or black, or dyslexic!
You can't become autistic after birth.  (wrong)

Quote from: Galen on Mon 21/01/2019 16:46:35
Quotewhich above certain levels
Is undoubtedly critical though. We certainly don't need another wave of 'vaccines cause autism' scares to bring back yet more deaths by preventable diseases.
Ah, now THAT sounds reasonable.
Basically, it's like pointing out that water is poisonous if drank in high enough quantities.   (laugh)

Now the thing that grinds my gears, is that hardcore Pokemon fans, never seem to realise that canonically in the games, Pokemon don't say their name.
I don't mind that the casual Pokemon fans don't know that, but the hardcore fans definitely should!
The only Pokemon that says its name outside of the anime is Pikachu, the rest make animal noises. For proof, just read the manga, play the games, or watch Pokemon Origins.

Mandle

I have watched medical experts state that the amount of aluminium you absorb naturally through even organically grown food in a week is quite a bit higher than the amount present in a vaccine shot.

Babies also absorb this aluminium from their mothers while in the womb.

Please vaccinate your kids, guys. We, in first-world countries, live in a time where nobody still alive remembers when families had 6 or 7 kids knowing full well that one or two of them might not survive their childhood.

Let's not allow that luxury to make us blind to history.

Vaccinate your kids.

I think I'll go get a T-shirt made:

"Vaccination causes adults."

Blondbraid

I think anti-vaxing sentiments are a danger to society, because refusing to vaccinate healthy kids will increase the risk of them spreading diseases to people who can't be vaccinated for health reasons,
such as people with immunity disorders and similar.

And not only is the idea that vaccines causes autism proven wrong, it's horrible that some parents would rather face their kids possibly dying from preventable diseases than risk them having autism.
I was diagnosed on the spectrum at an early age myself, and while I've had trouble concentrating in school or making friends for most of my upbringing, I don't consider my diagnose a fate worse than
succumbing to severe diseases and I've been able to have a somewhat normal life with the right training and support, and the implications of what some anti-vaxers have said makes my skin crawl.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears when people don't adhere to the age restrictions in movie theaters and sneak in kids too young to see the film.
Case in point, som time ago I was seeing the new Aquaman movie with a friend, and while it was a fun enough superhero movie, much of my experience was
brought down by an idiot dad who brought a toddler into the theater. Aquaman is a PG-13 movie, and for a good reason, there is lots of violence and both humans and animals get killed on screen,
and even if it wasn't for the violence, the movie is 2.5 hours long and everything was in English with Swedish text and there was zero chance that a toddler would follow the plot or be able to sit still
for that amount of time, and much as I predicted, the toddler spent most of the time blabbing, wanting to be carried out, crying and ruining the experience for the rest of the moviegoers.

I genuinely think small children shouldn't be allowed into movie theatres showing movies above their age limit and any parent bringing them in anyway is doing bad parenting. I get being a parent is hard work, but it shouldn't be an excuse for ruining the day of other people who've paid for their tickets (and the toddler forced to sit in a dark room and watch a film they couldn't comprehend), and anyone becoming a parent should either accept that the next five years of their lives will consist of doing activities suitable for babies or find a babysitter.

cat

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 22/01/2019 13:24:40

Love that!

dactylopus

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 15/02/2019 16:15:20
It grinds my gears when people don't adhere to the age restrictions in movie theaters and sneak in kids too young to see the film.
Case in point, som time ago I was seeing the new Aquaman movie with a friend, and while it was a fun enough superhero movie, much of my experience was
brought down by an idiot dad who brought a toddler into the theater. Aquaman is a PG-13 movie, and for a good reason, there is lots of violence and both humans and animals get killed on screen,
and even if it wasn't for the violence, the movie is 2.5 hours long and everything was in English with Swedish text and there was zero chance that a toddler would follow the plot or be able to sit still
for that amount of time, and much as I predicted, the toddler spent most of the time blabbing, wanting to be carried out, crying and ruining the experience for the rest of the moviegoers.

I genuinely think small children shouldn't be allowed into movie theatres showing movies above their age limit and any parent bringing them in anyway is doing bad parenting. I get being a parent is hard work, but it shouldn't be an excuse for ruining the day of other people who've paid for their tickets (and the toddler forced to sit in a dark room and watch a film they couldn't comprehend), and anyone becoming a parent should either accept that the next five years of their lives will consist of doing activities suitable for babies or find a babysitter.

I agree that small children that can't sit still and keep quiet (especially if they won't understand the language) should not be brought into the movie theaters.

I also feel that age restrictions are often set based on arbitrary rules.  If a movie is rated PG-13, for example, I wouldn't have an issue if a 10 year old or even an 8 year old were in the theater, as long as they can behave themselves.  After all, if their parent or guardian is there with them, then they are obeying the restriction that calls for Parental Guidance.  And not all children develop at the same pace.  There are other 8 or 10 year old children I would not want in the theater.

Then again, when I saw the Last Jedi in the theater, a grown adult ruined a key moment (the silent moment) by yelling out "Oh snap!" and making others laugh.  That grinds my gears.

Click'd

Quote from: dactylopus on Fri 15/02/2019 20:00:44
Then again, when I saw the Last Jedi in the theater, a grown adult ruined a key moment (the silent moment) by yelling out "Oh snap!" and making others laugh.  That grinds my gears.
Solution: Stay away from people.

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Fri 15/02/2019 19:48:33
Quote from: Mandle on Tue 22/01/2019 13:24:40

Love that!

Pre-order then?  :-D

josiah1221

I avoid going to the movies because of said reasons. I'd much rather watch it at home in piece and quiet away from obnoxious humans!

Stupot

To be fair, the cinema isn't library. You're not trying to read a book. You've paid to watch a movie in the company of hundreds of other people. You might not necessarily talk to the people next to you but it's still very much a social experience. Sometimes (especially here in Japan) the silence during funny bits is even more gear-grinding. You need someone with a well-timed ‘oh snap' to break the tension and give the audience permission to react to the film in a way that the filmmaker almost certainly intended.

I'm not saying people should chat and eat loudly and bring young children into the room (I agree with Blondbraid in this) but for me the film is much more enjoyable when there is almost an element of interaction between the audience and the screen.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 18/02/2019 03:02:25
the film is much more enjoyable when there is almost an element of interaction between the audience and the screen.

Rotten tomatoes?

dactylopus

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 18/02/2019 03:02:25
To be fair, the cinema isn't library. You're not trying to read a book. You've paid to watch a movie in the company of hundreds of other people. You might not necessarily talk to the people next to you but it's still very much a social experience. Sometimes (especially here in Japan) the silence during funny bits is even more gear-grinding. You need someone with a well-timed ‘oh snap' to break the tension and give the audience permission to react to the film in a way that the filmmaker almost certainly intended.

I'm not saying people should chat and eat loudly and bring young children into the room (I agree with Blondbraid in this) but for me the film is much more enjoyable when there is almost an element of interaction between the audience and the screen.

OK, I understand this point of view.  I see movies in a theater not because of social elements, but because of the experience of the theater seating, snacks, huge screen, and other things I can't get from a home experience.  Laughing at funny parts is expected, so it's not about having complete silence.  It's about courtesy to fellow movie-goers (much in the same way that Blondbraid was talking about not bringing small children).  If I lean over and say "Oh snap" to a friend, that's one thing, but shouting it out for the entire theater is a bit much and quite distracting for those of us that want a level of immersion from films.  In the same way, I went to a theater and had a man a few seats away from me looking at Facebook on his phone for the entire duration of the film.  The light from his phone was distracting to me and others in the area, and there are announcements telling you to turn off your phone before the film starts.  This is another courtesy to those around you.

I do understand, though, that you're basing your position on your current Japanese location and cultural factors.  I think I might enjoy watching a movie in Japan!

Mandle

Quote from: dactylopus on Mon 18/02/2019 22:20:18
I do understand, though, that you're basing your position on your current Japanese location and cultural factors.  I think I might enjoy watching a movie in Japan!

It's really not much different to watching a movie alone.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 18/02/2019 23:24:53
Quote from: dactylopus on Mon 18/02/2019 22:20:18

It's really not much different to watching a movie alone.
Not really, like dactylopus said, you get to watch it on a huge screen in much better detail than your TV at home, plus it's not just the movie, it's everything around the movie. I usually go out and watch movies at the cinema together with friends, and we go out and eat dinner and walk around in the city beforehand and it's all about having a nice evening out together rather than just sitting and watching a movie.

I suppose the expectations on cinema experiences vary too, but in Sweden it's usually considered very rude to eat loudly or talk a lot during a movie and there will always be an usher walking in and telling everyone that you have to turn off the noise on your cellphone before the movie starts. Personally, I've only encountered somebody talking during a screening funny once in my lifetime, and that was way back in 2007 when I was watching Arn and there was a fake-out death scene where some guy swung a sword at the protagonist and it faded to black in the middle of the movie and a kid jokingly said "The end!". That was funny. Blabbering toddlers isn't.

josiah1221

A movie experience I did enjoy, that others might not, was back when the Scream movies were popular. During build up scenes that would have you on the edge of your seat a member of the staff dressed up in the Scream outfit would burst into the theater and run down the isle. People would literally jump out of their seats. lol.

Stupot

Quote from: josiah1221 on Tue 19/02/2019 03:16:20
A movie experience I did enjoy, that others might not, was back when the Scream movies were popular. During build up scenes that would have you on the edge of your seat a member of the staff dressed up in the Scream outfit would burst into the theater and run down the isle. People would literally jump out of their seats. lol.
Was this a special screening for fans where people might have expected such behaviour or did everyone think they were just going to a normal screening?

josiah1221

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 20/02/2019 02:38:55
Was this a special screening for fans where people might have expected such behaviour or did everyone think they were just going to a normal screening?

It was a normal screening and started out as a joke but ended up becoming popular. Once the word got out people would come expecting it or come again to see the unexpected victim's people's reactions. I was in my late teens at the time so I enjoyed it and found it quite funny. I'm not so sure I would enjoy such shenanigans now though, lol.

Mandle

Hahaha, damn. That would get you shot in America.

Blondbraid

Quote from: josiah1221 on Thu 21/02/2019 04:10:55
Quote from: Stupot on Wed 20/02/2019 02:38:55

It was a normal screening and started out as a joke but ended up becoming popular. Once the word got out people would come expecting it or come again to see the unexpected victim's people's reactions. I was in my late teens at the time so I enjoyed it and found it quite funny. I'm not so sure I would enjoy such shenanigans now though, lol.
That's the sort of thing that sounds funny on paper, but would get decidedly less funny once someone inevitably gets a heart attack.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk