What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 05/04/2019 14:54:15
Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 04/04/2019 18:13:01
Well, the EU wants to get rid of it, so there's good news for you.
It grinds my gears that despite the EU wanting to get rid of it, Britain is fighting to keep it. Despite the majority (if not all) British citizens agreeing with the EU and wanting rid of it!
Reading that, you'd think Britain had a bit of an awkward relationship with the EU or something.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that most modern live-action movies and TV-series are too dark, and I don't mean this in the "grimdark edgelord" sense (even if that can be bad too), but in the literal "too dark to see literally see anything happening" sense. Like when I saw the latest episode of Game of Thrones, and don't worry, I won't spoil who kills who, because I couldn't actually see what was going on on the screen for 90% of the time!

Seriously, I live in Sweden where it's soul-crushing darkness most of the year, so I know making the screen black is a more realistic way of depicting nighttime than just slapping a blue filter on the screen and calling it a day, but come on, if I didn't care about seeing anything happening on the screen whilst listening to actors talking I'd have just bought an audio-book instead.

Stupot

Yeah. I saw a lot of people complaining about the lighting decisions of the latest GoT episode. I haven't got around to the new series yet but I will remember to turn the brightness up.

dactylopus

I've seen a lot of complaints about the darkness.  I didn't have that issue.  It looked great, and the darkness was fitting for the story.  Then again, I watched it in complete darkness in the middle of the night.  The previous episode I watched in the daytime and it reminded me that I need to get more blackout curtains.

Great episode, though.  One of my favorites of the entire series.

Mandarinas45

What grinds my gear? Playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice as your below-average gamer. It's a great game, but it's not for everyone to enjoy. That's what grinds my gear. T_T
Cheers mates <3

Blondbraid

Quote from: dactylopus on Thu 02/05/2019 20:05:30
I've seen a lot of complaints about the darkness.  I didn't have that issue.  It looked great, and the darkness was fitting for the story.  Then again, I watched it in complete darkness in the middle of the night.  The previous episode I watched in the daytime and it reminded me that I need to get more blackout curtains.

Great episode, though.  One of my favorites of the entire series.
Yeah, I'm sure it looked better in the middle of the night, but I still think it's a problem when something only looks good under optimal circumstances, because not everyone can stay up late or have good blackout curtains (especially not in Sweden, where the daylight lasts practically forever in summer-time). For comparison, I re-watched a clip from the Battle of Helm's Deep from the LOTR movies, which also depicts a big fantasy battle at night-time, but there I could tell everything going on even on an old laptop screen with full daylight pouring onto it, and the scene still looked good and dramatic:

But I've seen a similar problem in AAA games too, where the graphics are exclusively optimized for cutting-edge computers, and if you try anything less than the highest graphics options, you get an ugly mess with blurry textures and grainy shadows that somehow looks worse than games that came out a decade ago.

Galen

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 05/04/2019 14:54:15
Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 04/04/2019 18:13:01
Well, the EU wants to get rid of it, so there's good news for you.
It grinds my gears that despite the EU wanting to get rid of it, Britain is fighting to keep it. Despite the majority (if not all) British citizens agreeing with the EU and wanting rid of it!
This is British politics. They have to keep up the appearances of opposing the EU at every opportunity regardless of the sanity of it all (and while voting in favour of almost all EU laws and regulations).

Slasher

People who wear big hats yet don't deliver the goods.. Why can't people be honest  (nod)

Jack

"All hat and no cattle"?

Mouth for war

Fracturing your right pinky finger on a sunday night, waiting for hours in the ER....That's what really grinds my gears today :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Jack

Could have happened on friday.

Mouth for war

That would've made a lot of difference :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Laura Hunt

Just reviving this thread to say that it grinds my gears when games tell you to "turn down the lights and use headphones". One, DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO uGH MOM, and two, If your game needs such restrictive conditions to be enjoyable, it probably isn't too good to begin with.

(Sorry, woke up feeling grumpy and felt the need to complain about something, but I guess that's what this thread is for :-D)

Stupot

I always get excited when a game tells me to do that. That means it's probably going to scare the hell out of me (or at least try).

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 03/07/2019 06:50:16
I always get excited when a game tells me to do that. That means it's probably going to scare the hell out of me (or at least try).

Every single crappy horror asset flip game on itch.io says that though. At this point it doesn't really mean anything except maybe a couple of VERY LOUD JUMPSCARES! :-D

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 03/07/2019 06:34:16
If your game needs such restrictive conditions to be enjoyable, it probably isn't too good to begin with.

You do not talk shit about Cyan. YOU. DO. NOT. TALK. SHIT. ABOUT. CYAN.
(The entire Myst series had a monitor calibration screen)  ;)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 03/07/2019 08:48:45
Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 03/07/2019 06:34:16
If your game needs such restrictive conditions to be enjoyable, it probably isn't too good to begin with.

You do not talk shit about Cyan. YOU. DO. NOT. TALK. SHIT. ABOUT. CYAN.
(The entire Myst series had a monitor calibration screen)

Hahaha fair enough, fair enough!

Danvzare

Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 03/07/2019 07:13:18
Every single crappy horror asset flip game on itch.io says that though. At this point it doesn't really mean anything except maybe a couple of VERY LOUD JUMPSCARES! :-D
Oh I could tell you a thing or two about those crappy horror "games" on itch.io.
I've already boiled it down to a formula.
Always a flashlight (sometimes one which runs out of battery power, so you can't see anything).
Always a room that's illuminated red, somewhere in the game.
Always notes littered about the place, because apprently people write down their thoughts on random pieces of paper and leave them lying around.
Almost always a basement that you have go into to attempt to turn the power on.
ALWAYS literal key-door puzzles. Find a locked door, find another locked door, find a key, open locked door, find another key, open the other locked door, ect.
And then there's the fact that it's either a "monster maze" game, where you're wandering around and a monster is too, and that monster can usually run faster than you, with no way of avoiding it once you see it. Or it's a "haunted house" game, where you wander around and there's literally nothing that can hurt you. The walls may bleed, and the corridors may change layout behind you, but nothing will actually hurt you. You may get to a point where you're being "chased" by a monster, but in that case you merely have to wander around slightly faster, otherwise you'll have to retry the scripted chase sequence.
Throw in a few loud jumpscares, which by this point no one is startled by anymore, and there you go. Your very own "horror game".  :-X

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 03/07/2019 11:55:05
Quote from: notarobotyet on Wed 03/07/2019 07:13:18
Oh I could tell you a thing or two about those crappy horror "games" on itch.io.
I've already boiled it down to a formula.
Always a flashlight (sometimes one which runs out of battery power, so you can't see anything).
Always a room that's illuminated red, somewhere in the game.
Always notes littered about the place, because apprently people write down their thoughts on random pieces of paper and leave them lying around.
Almost always a basement that you have go into to attempt to turn the power on.
ALWAYS literal key-door puzzles. Find a locked door, find another locked door, find a key, open locked door, find another key, open the other locked door, ect.
And then there's the fact that it's either a "monster maze" game, where you're wandering around and a monster is too, and that monster can usually run faster than you, with no way of avoiding it once you see it. Or it's a "haunted house" game, where you wander around and there's literally nothing that can hurt you. The walls may bleed, and the corridors may change layout behind you, but nothing will actually hurt you. You may get to a point where you're being "chased" by a monster, but in that case you merely have to wander around slightly faster, otherwise you'll have to retry the scripted chase sequence.
Throw in a few loud jumpscares, which by this point no one is startled by anymore, and there you go. Your very own "horror game".  :-X

Hahaha RED IS SCARY!

But yup, every. single. one. of. these. They've become so trite, boring and predictable that I'm not even entertained anymore by watching youtubers make fun of them...

Slasher

Many people no longer have the grit, drive and the determination we had in this once great country (UK)..

It grinds my gears that the UK nation has turned some people into gutless wimps..

I hate to say this and I feel sad about it.... but where has their backbone gone and why has it turned yellow?

We were once a nation of solid rock but now it's more like soft jelly...

It grinds my gears  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk