What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

I think you should hate Ebay, not someone snipping an item from you... I would bid at the last second too if it was me. I want to pay as less as possible, as so do many people.
That's why many auction sites have an extra anti-snipping police. That if there's a bid in the last 5 minutes then the auction is automatically extended with 5 minutes... real auctions also only stop when there's no more bidders, not cause it hit a certain time.  (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

I've never heard of that 5-minute policy but it sounds great. I don't use eBay any more but when I did I got burned too many times by snipers and I couldn't play their game because I had slow as hell internet.

Danvzare

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 18/09/2019 21:59:06
I hate it when I'm bidding for something on Ebay... and I'm winning.
But then someone scoops in at the very last second, so no-one else has a chance to bid again. 

If you're interested in an item, just bid on it!  Don't wait for the last second.  That's a low move!   :undecided:
You also kind of need to snipe on eBay, to avoid the sellers from outbidding you. You see, in my experience, the seller will want a minimum amount, but won't put in that minimum amount so as to attract people to bid. As soon as someone does though, they'll outbid them with an alternate account until they reach the minimum that they want.
This becomes blatantly obvious when you bid on an item, lose the bid, and then see the exact same item being sold by the exact same seller, the very next day.  (nod)

Slasher

Some people use a program and set it to bid few seconds from end of auction..

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 19/09/2019 13:48:54
Some people use a program and set it to bid few seconds from end of auction..
Where can I find this program?
Um... asking for a friend.   (laugh)
That friend being me.

VampireWombat

And this is why I only use buy now on Ebay...

Frodo

Maybe I'm not sneaky and underhanded enough.   :tongue:

dactylopus

Danvzare

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 19/09/2019 17:34:30
Bidnapper

https://www.bidnapper.com/?refuser=ggle11-others-auction%20sniper&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzozsBRCNARIsAEM9kBPBzpnv8CyxB9ewMNk-Y_IGQxdk826YXKe8Ckkl4BCcyV_egTgxZWkaAhAWEALw_wcB
Looking at it, it looks like a website you pay money to snipe for you.
And considering there's another website named EZ sniper that looks the exactly same, something tells me it's as shady as it looks.
I was hoping for something more along the lines of a program that you run on your computer while you wait.

Looks like I'll be sticking to the buy now only options as well.  (nod)

Mandle

By the extremely slipshod look of the site it looks to me like an attempt to phish passwords from people and then, because humans are lazy, try using those passwords to gain access to more important stuff belonging to that person.

Snarky

Sniping is almost a requirement on eBay auctions. I've used a site that used to be called Goofbay, now Goofbid, to auto-snipe, and have not had my password stolen AFAIK.

What grinds my gears is sites that pretend to comply with GDPR rules to give you a way to decline tracking cookies, but actually use "dark patterns" to make it almost impossible to do so, for example by requiring you to deselect hundreds of trackers individually. Perpetrators include Vox and Oath (tumblr, etc.). This is illegal by EU law: the choice to decline tracking must not be substantially more cumbersome than the choice to accept it. I hope they get sued, or even better, that people stop going to their sites.

It particularly annoys me because at my work we spent considerable resources making a good-faith effort to comply with the new rules, as I'm sure most businesses have, while these huge Internet companies try to scam their way out of it.

Mouth for war

What grinds my gears to dust is television. I rarely watch tv but when I go to bed I like to watch something before the snoring begins. These days almost every channel only shows those damn reality shows, and I just hate them. They are taking over almost all airing time, 5000 different cop shows, frozen roads, crab fishing, birth clinic shows, young moms, say yes to the dress, extreme couponing etc etc. It never ends. I F@***%g hate reality shows with all my heart. If they serve a purpose, like a poor family with a broken down house gets a new home i can tolerate them (but i don't watch) at least those shows are doing something helpful.
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

cat

Quote from: Mouth for war on Wed 02/10/2019 11:15:07
What grinds my gears to dust is television.

Lol, I just misread this sentence in a way that you hate to clean your television set (laugh)
The following rant didn't make any sense under this assumption.

Danvzare

It's even more gear grinding in Britain if you ask me.
Damn TV license!
And what's worse, even if you don't pay for one, because hey, there's nothing on TV worth watching anyway. They hound you like there's no tomorrow!  8-0

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 02/10/2019 16:26:56
It's even more gear grinding in Britain if you ask me.
Damn TV license!
And what's worse, even if you don't pay for one, because hey, there's nothing on TV worth watching anyway. They hound you like there's no tomorrow!  8-0

It's the same here in Japan. The NHK channel guys come knocking for payment, but if you're a foreigner like me and tell them to go away they generally don't come back.

Cassiebsg

Over here, you have to pay the licence if you own a tv set or a computer/mobil (because you can see via net)... and because a lot don't pay it, they are changing it, so you just pay it thru your taxes instead.  8-0
Plug a dvd player or something else, and watch what you want. Regular TV (as in they decide what you watch and when) is dead, they have just not realized it yet.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

TheFrighter

In Italy the tv license is o the bill of electricity, so have to pay the tv even food retailers and groceryes and other shops that dont'have it!  >:(

_

Stupot

@Mouthforwar - There really is very little left on regular TV worth watching. That's where Netflix comes in.

Mouth for war

Haha cleaning the tv set is not that geargrinding...BUT...dust is quite annoying though :-D  we used to have that tv license  too but we also pay for it  through taxes now. Everyone over 18 with an income must pay it so you can't evade the license anymore XD Even when the store reported that you had bought a tv  you could just say "Oh I've already sold it" and they couldn't prove anything :-D but yeah noone should have to pay taxes when all you get are those god damn reality shows...grrrrrr i want to round up all of those responsible for all reality shows and do things to them....things that would hurt...a lot...and then i would ask them "Do you still think it was a good idea for a show?". I guess Michael Douglas said it best in one of the greatest movies ever made - Falling Down "Now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat, how does it feel?" Such a great movie!!! :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk