What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Urgh, I hate reality TV, and the worst part of all is that for probably 90% of the run time they aren't even showing the cooking/dancing/car remodeling or whatever the audience is actually there to see, it's just the worst kind of filler with the hosts nattering endlessly about random nonsense or spending several minutes in a row asking the participants again and again weather they feel pumped doing whatever they came to do on tv, which is just plain stupid considering they probably wouldn't beg to be doing it on TV if they weren't.  (wrong)

Mandle

Here in Japan probably about 50% of TV is unscripted "Reality TV" and always has been: Celebs heading out and about just doing stuff like drinking at a bar, and rating it, or attempting to feed a bunch of people with a zero-yen budget etc.

And some of it is pretty entertaining but, yeah, the "unscripted" part I mentioned is vital. Western reality TV is becoming too obviously controlled to get maximum drama in the minimum time.

The Japanese stuff is still edited together to give maximum entertainment value, of course, but at least you can tell those segments are genuine people being themselves (for the most part).

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 05/10/2019 12:49:21
Urgh, I hate reality TV, and the worst part of all is that for probably 90% of the run time they aren't even showing the cooking/dancing/car remodeling or whatever the audience is actually there to see, it's just the worst kind of filler with the hosts nattering endlessly about random nonsense or spending several minutes in a row asking the participants again and again weather they feel pumped doing whatever they came to do on tv, which is just plain stupid considering they probably wouldn't beg to be doing it on TV if they weren't.  (wrong)
Actually, I find that 90% of the content to be nothing but recaps.
Here's an example of how they usually go in my opinion:
"This person turns poop into food! Let's see what they can find today."
"Ooh, poop, I'm going to turn this into food."
*adverts*
"To recap, this person turns poop into food! He then found poop!"
"Ooh, poop. I'm going to turn this into food."
"Let's see what he does with it."
"I'm going to put it in a blender."
*adverts*
(Then of course you recap everything AGAIN. Rinse and repeat until you have an entire episode.)

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 05/10/2019 15:32:31
Here in Japan probably about 50% of TV is unscripted "Reality TV" and always has been
Only 50% of TV content is Reality TV!  :-D
That sounds awesome!
It's about 85% here in England.

Mouth for war

I just can't believe that they turn every little damn thing into a show. Here in Sweden they started, simply translated "Vehicle inspection" it makes my blood boil. Who the hell wants to watch a show where people come and get their vehicled inspected and then watch the employees have a barbecue in a garden somewhere? What really pissed me off is how they promoted this year's season "Finally they're back" it's bad enough they show that crap but do they honestly believe that anyone missed them "My house burnt down and then I got fired and my dog died but no worries Vehicle inspection is finally back" grrrrrrr :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

TheFrighter

No reality-show about gamemakers?  (laugh)

_

Mandle

Quote from: TheFrighter on Tue 08/10/2019 12:34:09
No reality-show about gamemakers?  (laugh)_

Sounds like an AGS community project waiting to happen!

Mouth for war

_
now we're getting somewhere :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Danvzare

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 08/10/2019 16:51:34
Quote from: Mouth for war on Tue 08/10/2019 13:46:54

_
now we're getting somewhere :-D
I'd watch it.  (nod)
It's a great idea, but I'm afraid reality-TV people would just find a way to muck it up with a ton of the aforementioned filler and recaps, lazy stereotypes of game developers as
weirdos living in their parent's basements with empty mountain dew bottles as their sole company, and probably gratuitous apple product placement galore.

VampireWombat

Isn't this what Youtube is for?

Jack

It grinds my gears, these armchair activists that are ready to get extra passionate about whatever the media put in their heads this week. This vaping frenzy is the perfect example.

The media deluges them with the 7, 8, 9 deaths that have now been associated with vaping. Not even with vaping itself, but with tainted cartridges. "But did you hear? 10 people who use vapes have now died! When will someone stop this madness?!"

Never mind cigarettes probably kill more people than that in a day. No thought is given to where those nicotine addicts will go for their fix once vapes are banned. These people are just ever ready to repeat exactly what they have been told, and nothing more. ("ANTIFREEZUH")

Retro Wolf

Quote from: Jack on Thu 10/10/2019 01:15:50
It grinds my gears, these armchair activists that are ready to get extra passionate about whatever the media put in their heads this week. This vaping frenzy is the perfect example.

The media deluges them with the 7, 8, 9 deaths that have now been associated with vaping. Not even with vaping itself, but with tainted cartridges. "But did you hear? 10 people who use vapes have now died! When will someone stop this madness?!"

Never mind cigarettes probably kill more people than that in a day. No thought is given to where those nicotine addicts will go for their fix once vapes are banned. These people are just ever ready to repeat exactly what they have been told, and nothing more. ("ANTIFREEZUH")

"SHOCK vaping DEATHS you won't BELIEVE" I'd rather smell unicorn fart smelling vapes than cigarette smoke any day of the week. What grinds my gears is these clickbait headlines that seem to be written by a bot. I get recommended articles come up on my phone, there's one website that has "SHOCK" in capitals every single article. Then if you do actually click it it's nowhere near as "SHOCKING", in fact it's an article about "NOTHING".

Jack

Sounds like you're subscribed to one of those British tabloids, like the BBC.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Thu 10/10/2019 10:46:09
Quote from: Jack on Thu 10/10/2019 01:15:50

"SHOCK vaping DEATHS you won't BELIEVE" I'd rather smell unicorn fart smelling vapes than cigarette smoke any day of the week. What grinds my gears is these clickbait headlines that seem to be written by a bot. I get recommended articles come up on my phone, there's one website that has "SHOCK" in capitals every single article. Then if you do actually click it it's nowhere near as "SHOCKING", in fact it's an article about "NOTHING".
Exactly. It reminds me of just how many clickbaity headlines that gets pumped out about "millenials be crazy" and anything gets painted as a worldwide youth frenzy even when the only people recorded doing it were a handful of people as a joke or bet, or in case of all alarmist stories of teens eating tide pods, not even that. Like, I've yet to see one single verified news story of a real teenager eating one, yet there were tons of clickbait articles on it for a while.

Jack

DRM grinds my gears, and today is the International Day Against DRM.

A few years ago I stopped buying games with DRM. The final straw for me was the frequent multi-gigabyte forced updates from GTA V. When will games companies learn that they need to provide a better product than the one you get from a surprise discount?

Click'd

They learned long ago that people will buy anything.

Laura Hunt

"Do you have a moment to jump on a quick call?"

No. Learn reading comprehension and don't waste my time.

Mandle

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 16/10/2019 08:24:35
"Do you have a moment to jump on a quick call?"

No. Learn reading comprehension and don't waste my time.

The quick, brown Laura jumped on the lazy call.

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Sat 12/10/2019 20:14:35
DRM grinds my gears, and today is the International Day Against DRM.
DRM is exactly why I prefer to play my big budget games on a console.
The only DRM you have to deal with on those, if having to insert the disc every time you want to play the game. Which is something I grew up with, and don't mind as a result.

I'll always be a PC gamer at heart. But because of DRM alone, I'll always play so called "AAA" games on a console. And if you need me to prove it, just look up Assassin's Creed Origins. (Not that I'd play such a terrible game anyway.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk