What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

It really ground my gears when I saw Mouth for war at a grocery store yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you're doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Mandle

OMG Jack WTF?!

But, I'll admit, I did laugh out loud a few times.

Stupot

Never meet your heroes, Jack.  (nod)

Mandle

Mouth for war

I'd NEVER pay for milky way!!!!! :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

AnasAbdin

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

I just use my adblocker to block those elements, so I can click past them.
It surprisingly works about 75% of the time.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 05/11/2019 16:19:13
For me, those numbers are the opposite, and that's not even counting all the sites that don't let you use adblockers.

Cassiebsg

Uhm, frankly if the site doesn't work with adblockers or needs javascript, then I just don't use it, unless it's a site I trust/need to use.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 07/11/2019 15:44:13
Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 05/11/2019 16:19:13
For me, those numbers are the opposite, and that's not even counting all the sites that don't let you use adblockers.
I've actually managed to use adblocker to block the elements that stop me using the sites that don't let me use adblockers.  :-D
Although that is quite rare. And usually you have to block the same element on every single page.
Usually I just do what Cassiebsg does. And not use it unless I really trust the site, or need to use it.

Jack

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 07/11/2019 17:00:29
Uhm, frankly if the site doesn't work with adblockers or needs javascript, then I just don't use it, unless it's a site I trust/need to use.

Same, but we're in the minority. Javascript from multiple sources, like google, to accomplish simple things is the norm for lazy-ass developers and lazy-ass users.

It grinds my gears, sites which don't actually require javascript to function, being blank pages without javascript enabled. I used to think they just served nothing, until I found out all the text and images are downloaded and rendered as normal, there's just a full size blank element placed over all of it.

TheFrighter

I use IObit Surfing Protection & Ads Removal but I have the same problems!

_

Khris

An "accept cookies" box and ad banners are two very different things :P
I don't mind cookie banners since if you click them once, they're gone forever. And uBlock Origin works very well for me; I rarely ever encounter a site where I have to turn it off to see content.
What does grind my gears is that these cookies banners are nothing but theatrics while the actual issues with data collection remain unresolved.

cat

I'm currently working on a German translation and of course had problems with Umlauts (while they worked for a previous translation). I was already preparing a post on the technical board, when I rechecked the character encoding of the trs file and realized, it was UTF8 instead of ANSI  (roll)

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Sun 24/11/2019 20:49:40
I'm currently working on a German translation and of course had problems with Umlauts (while they worked for a previous translation). I was already preparing a post on the technical board, when I rechecked the character encoding of the trs file and realized, it was UTF8 instead of ANSI  (roll)

I had the exact same problem with the Italian translation of Chronicle Of Innsmouth Mountains Of Madness, which went unnoticed for ages through many versions and which I am still repairing... So annoying!

Mandle

I was at a cafe yesterday and they had a copy of the first in the Narnia series of books on their shelf. In Japanese.

In disbelief I checked the name of the book twice and made sure it was the C.S.Lewis book translation.

It was.

The name of the book, translated from Japanese, is "The Lion And The Witch."

Goddammit!!! They effed-up the very reason why the title is so intriguing and would make a kid want to read it.

This grinds my gears.

VampireWombat

Maybe whoever translated the title wanted to hide the importance of the wardrobe? Or was just lazy...

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 25/11/2019 14:44:53
Maybe whoever translated the title wanted to hide the importance of the wardrobe? Or was just lazy...

It is the single most important wardrobe in human history... Closely followed by the one in The Cure video "Close To Me"...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk