What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Loud typers. There's few things that get more on my nerves than some idiot hammering at their keyboard like a 3-year old banging on a toy laptop. I hope there's a special place in hell for them where they will go no matter what else they did in life.

Mandle

Babar

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Wed 11/12/2019 09:56:38
Loud typers. There's few things that get more on my nerves than some idiot hammering at their keyboard like a 3-year old banging on a toy laptop. I hope there's a special place in hell for them where they will go no matter what else they did in life.
The funniest I've noticed (with multiple people, so I suspect it is a thing) is Enter-slammers. Their typing is going all normally, and then suddenly...WHAM!
tptptptptptptptpptptptpptptp...WHAM!

Why slam enter? :D

As for what grinds my gears, because I just saw it in "Lost in Space" (a show someone recommended to me as great), is scientist people, intelligent people, smart people, getting to a new planet or new piece of rock in space, and then immediately (or in the first few moments possible), taking off their helmets, and having one guy be all "Oh no, why did you do that!", and the reply being "Oh, the air is safe!".

Very often, even in the same episode, everyone later comes down with a "mysterious" illness, and they're all stupefied as to how that could have happened, and yet they do it again in a later episode.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Blondbraid

Quote from: Babar on Sat 28/12/2019 20:17:31
As for what grinds my gears, because I just saw it in "Lost in Space" (a show someone recommended to me as great), is scientist people, intelligent people, smart people, getting to a new planet or new piece of rock in space, and then immediately (or in the first few moments possible), taking off their helmets, and having one guy be all "Oh no, why did you do that!", and the reply being "Oh, the air is safe!".

Very often, even in the same episode, everyone later comes down with a "mysterious" illness, and they're all stupefied as to how that could have happened, and yet they do it again in a later episode.
A big reason I didn't like Prometheus.

When people got killed in the first Alien movie, it was scary. When people got killed in Prometheus, it was basic Darwinism.

Snarky

https://youtu.be/Bbzuu14bGgs

I have spent probably days of my life complaining about Prometheus. Truly one of those "don't get me started" topics.

Incidentally, I'm typing this on one of those fucking Macbook "butterfly" keyboards. Apart from the pitiful travel, they make a noise like I'm a journalist pecking out the latest scoop in a black and white movie.

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 01/01/2020 21:40:40
I have spent probably days of my life complaining about Prometheus. Truly one of those "don't get me started" topics.

I had to pay an employee to cover my lessons at work to go and see that movie as soon as it came out. That is how excited I was about the prospect of a new Alien movie BY Ridley Scott!

So it cost me around $100 to see that movie.

The moment it ended I was NOT feeling very generous towards the value of human life and said out-loud in a TRAVELING voice "At least now we know why his brother jumped off that bridge." and some groups of westerners around me burst out in laughter and were like "Yeah, that SUCKED!".

It was not a nice thing to say, of course, but that is how pissed off I was.

Spent the next 5 hours or so getting drunk with my mate I saw it with and tearing the movie to shreds. At least THAT was fun.

Oh, and just to be sure not to get Snarky started...

How about the very first opening shot of the amazing ship powering through space, with the titles of the movie COVERING IT UP so you couldn't see it too good?! 

How about the "mapping-expert" they brought along being the first to get lost in what was basically ONE GIANT CORRIDOR?!

How about the dude that was terrified when he saw the dead aliens being the first to try patting the penis-snake thingy?!

How about the running away from the rolling... No, that one, I just...

Honestly, it was like the Scary Movie people had made a parody of an Alien movie.

Blondbraid

Posting that Galaxy Quest clip just reminded me of another thing that grinds my gears:
there are no good spoof/parody movies made anymore. Instead you get serious franchises becoming ridiculous and garbage like the Scary movie sequels,
which are nothing but toilet humor and pointless references that only serves to remind you that better movies exist.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 03/01/2020 09:58:18
Posting that Galaxy Quest clip just reminded me of another thing that grinds my gears:
there are no good spoof/parody movies made anymore. Instead you get serious franchises becoming ridiculous and garbage like the Scary movie sequels,
which are nothing but toilet humor and pointless references that only serves to remind you that better movies exist.

Agreed!
And while there are lots of movies that BEG to be parodied.

Mandle

Space Balls II, based on the new trilogy!

Snarky

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 03/01/2020 09:58:18

I don't entirely agree.

I think there have been some pretty good movie spoofs within the last ten years or so (at least, more recent than the Scary Movie sequels). For example Wet Hot American Summer (the first Netflix show, if the movie doesn't count), Walk Hard, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, 21/22 Jump Street, They Came Together, Spy, Popstar, What We Do in the Shadows… I haven't seen the MacGruber movie, but I've heard that it's growing into cult status.

And plenty of movies incorporate genre parody elements, either to poke fun of their own genre or as part of a more general comedy, without IMHO becoming ridiculous: Deadpool, The Lego Movie, Wreck-It Ralph, The Nice Guys, Into the Spider-Verse, The Cabin in the Woods, Knives Out, Jumanji, Game Night, Happy Death Day, Damsels in Distress, Isn't It Romantic… (I didn't care much for Kingsman, Ready or Not, or The Man from UNCLE, but they also appeal to some.)

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 03/01/2020 11:08:26
Space Balls II, based on the new trilogy!
They wouldn't even need to do much. Just take the script for The Last Jedi, and have none of the actors take it seriously. Boom, perfect parody!  :-D
I once tried to describe the plot of that film, and it sounded like I was describing Space Balls II.
From Leia going Superman, Luke drinking milk almost directly from the alien titty, to pink-haired-lady being forced into a kamikaze as soon as Leia woke up. It's practically a self-parody.

"There's literally only one person in the entire galaxy who has the skills to help you!"
*They go to that guy, then immediately get imprisoned for illegally parking.*
*Then someone in the same cell talks to them.*
"Hey, I have those skills too!"

And then of course:
"This guy took over the galaxy directly after Palpatine. Who is he? How did he do it? Well you see... he's dead now. Who cares."  (laugh)

Even if you love the movie, you've got to admit that it had a LOT of ridiculous moments in it.

Blondbraid

I actually liked The Last Jedi, but I agree that it had many dumb plotholes that could have easily been avoided.

For example, I remember reading that in an earlier draft of the script, the rebels had gained intel that there was a spy on board their ship,
and the reason the pink-haired lady and Poe couldn't just explain their plans to one another was because both thought the other could be the mole.
Why did they have to cut that out?!

But my other problem with the new trilogy is the Force awakens, where they basically erased all achievements of Luke and Leia in the original trilogy
in order to just redo most of A new hope again, and I think the big problem with Snokes comes because they wanted to shoehorn in a Palpatine-replacement
as well as an army of storm troopers, despite the fact that it'd make no sense in reality, and that would have been hard for any writer to make into a satisfying story.

Just to give some perspective on just how stupid the whole New Order felt to me, the closest historical equivalent would be how Germany started WW2 after losing WW1,
but now imagine that instead of changing their technology, strategy and entire political landscape in response to such a big loss, the Germans would have just gotten
a new Kaiser that had exactly the same military strategies and personality as the old one.  (wrong)

Cassiebsg

uhm... it grind my gears when people discuss movies outside of it's own thread and don't use spoiler tags.  :P
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 03/01/2020 19:10:56
uhm... it grind my gears when people discuss movies outside of it's own thread and don't use spoiler tags.  :P
Sorry about that!

I just figured that with Star Wars, if you haven't seen those by now you probably wouldn't care about spoilers.  (roll)

I think Penny Arcade summed this kind of stuff up pretty well:

Cassiebsg

Actually, I want to see it. But beats me why we haven't seen it yet.
It's on the list, we'll get to it eventually or I'll die before it... either way, rather not read spoilers.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that YouTube will happily demonetize videos mentioning swear words or that gay people exist, yet "DIY-hacks" encouraging kids to dye food with bleach or
pour 30 degree melted caramel onto a rotating handmixer gets to remain despite all the reports of the blatant danger in promoting that.

Jack

Youtube seems to let all child-targeted content remain as long as they possibly can. It took months for them to even admit that those grooming videos were an issue.

I can imagine there is some kind of cancel clique out there though just waiting for swear words to mass report.

Mandle

Quote from: Jack on Mon 27/01/2020 18:17:50
I can imagine there is some kind of cancel clique out there though just waiting for swear words to mass report.

Or an algorithm.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 27/01/2020 22:43:04

Or an algorithm.
Exactly, most millennials couldn't care less if a YouTuber says the F-word, but advertisers are terrified they'd get associated with something that could get the Midwestern US christian moms into a moral panic,
and large media platforms absolutely refuse to take responsibility in a sane way, like say, having living human beings vet videos, and instead use cheap but stupid algorithms to do the job instead.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 28/01/2020 09:41:01
Quote from: Mandle on Mon 27/01/2020 22:43:04

Or an algorithm.
Exactly, most millennials couldn't care less if a YouTuber says the F-word, but advertisers are terrified they'd get associated with something that could get the Midwestern US christian moms into a moral panic

"Haha look at these silly Americans getting all riled up over (*looks around, whispers*)... the f-word."

Just say FUCK ffs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk