What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Wolf

I think there are exceptions, there are good early access games, such as Factorio. I did buy it a few years into the early access, I'd read good things about it and I personally had a complete experience from it. Never felt like a beta tester for that particular game.

cat

Isn't this more like a "I want to be first to have it" thing? Like those people who queue at night in front of a store just to be the first to buy the new gadget xyz as soon as it comes out?

cat

What is this thing about toilet paper? People go crazy about buying it now. Yesterday two people before and after me at the checkout bought huge amounts of it, so I asked if it is on sale but seems they were just panicking. Today it is not available at supermarkets anymore because of crazy people. It is a running gag in web forums already.

Cassiebsg

Yes, over here as well. Crazy people, one would think they are planning to be home sick with exploding diarrhea for a month... or a year even...   8-0
I don't get it either. We do miss a single pack of toilet paper though, one of the toilets only has one roll left... but we still have half a pack on the other... And so what if it runs out? We won't die because we don't have it... there's always other alternatives.  (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

It's for the shit hitting the fan. ;)

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 09/03/2020 14:43:18
Panic-buying really grinds my gears... People should NOT be going out and hoarding shit they are not going to use within the year. Other people need that stuff too.

Wipe with your hand. And behold the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL toilet paper fort!

Stupot

The toilet roll thing is absolutely ridiculous. Why specifically that? It’s an interesting phenomenon really. There’s probably some weird psychology behind it. My worry is that, if this is how people are behaving when the virus is only just starting to get going, what is it going to be like when the shit, indeed, does hit the fan?

Jack

I think we are observing a previously unknown bit of belief present in a part of the population. Did all these people see TP as some kind of currency all along?

Would explain why the federal reserve has been running their printing presses 24/7 lately, to try and keep up with demand.

Stupot

This TP hoarding started in Japan as a hoax. People had flashbacks of the “oil shock” of the 1970s when people also hoarded TP. And people just seem to enjoy doing whatever it is that other people are doing. But the real kicker is that most people in Japan have “washlets” built into the toilet units that wash their bums anyway. You don’t even need TP (except maybe a bit to dry it up, but you could easily use a towel if you were running low). Seriously illogical behaviour.

milkanannan

On the Japan tangent, I remember in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, people in Mainland China started spreading the rumour that salt would be radioactively affected. Many people, including family friends, started stockpiling table salt. It was only recently our family friends ate through their last bag of salt. (laugh) At the time of the disaster it was irritating though, because table salt in general was hard to find for a few weeks. I mean, you could get it, but you had to visit two, three, four supermarkets to find it.  (wtf)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 14/03/2020 00:06:02
The toilet roll thing is absolutely ridiculous. Why specifically that? It’s an interesting phenomenon really. There’s probably some weird psychology behind it. My worry is that, if this is how people are behaving when the virus is only just starting to get going, what is it going to be like when the shit, indeed, does hit the fan?

People are hoarding all kinds of stuff: toilet paper, yes, but also frozen food, canned goods, desinfectant, etc. It's just that toilet paper makes for the most "omg wtf" headlines.

Slasher

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 14/03/2020 09:37:52

People are hoarding all kinds of stuff: toilet paper, yes, but also frozen food, canned goods, desinfectant, etc. It's just that toilet paper makes for the most "omg wtf" headlines.
Sudden rush to buy things and chaos... That's part of the plan ;)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 14/03/2020 09:41:54
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 14/03/2020 09:37:52

Sudden rush to buy things and chaos... That's part of the plan ;)

I think you dropped this

Jack

Here's something from February that warms the heart, to 38 degrees Celsius.

It's ironic, given what happened to Nigerians in China recently.

Babar

Is that Italy? What happened to social distancing? Why are all those people hugging?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mandle

Quote from: Babar on Sat 18/04/2020 11:03:41
Is that Italy? What happened to social distancing? Why are all those people hugging?

It's from February.

Danvzare

Here's something that grinds my gears.
Very high-pitched devices, used for scaring away cats or sometimes used in shops to "detract" youths.
Because I can hear those things, and they're nauseating!

Racoon

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 18/04/2020 13:29:37
Very high-pitched devices, used for scaring away cats or sometimes used in shops to "detract" youths.

Ohhh yes! I can relate so much  :-D Our neighboor has one of these torture devices and I get the feeling that cats don´t care about it at all. But I care! It has become a running gag in our family since we tried to talk to him about it and he said he can not hear it, so we shouldn´t too. He even upgraded it to something that makes a bright light when you get to close, but he had to take that down, because we were not the only ones bothered by it..

Jack

What do they sound like?

milkanannan

Quote from: Racoon on Sat 18/04/2020 15:08:31

Ohhh yes! I can relate so much  :-D Our neighboor has one of these torture devices and I get the feeling that cats don´t care about it at all. But I care! It has become a running gag in our family since we tried to talk to him about it and he said he can not hear it, so we shouldn´t too. He even upgraded it to something that makes a bright light when you get to close, but he had to take that down, because we were not the only ones bothered by it..

Jesus, how many unwanted cats do you guys have running around your area? I've never heard of these devices.

Racoon

Quote from: Jack on Sat 18/04/2020 15:13:15
What do they sound like?

A very high beep sound. There are frequencies that younger people hear, but older don´t. And I think the same are used to scare of cats.

Quote from: manannan on Sat 18/04/2020 15:45:04
Jesus, how many unwanted cats do you guys have running around your area? I've never heard of these devices.

The rigth question would be: How many strange neighboors are out there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk