What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: Jack on Sun 25/10/2020 12:46:18
Get over it: you need to upgrade your phone every year now
+1

Although you know what grinds my gears even more. It was considered normal to upgrade your phone every year back when we were all using tiny flip phones. At least people have a reason to do it now. Who knows what the logic was for it back then?

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 25/10/2020 14:32:14
Although you know what grinds my gears even more. It was considered normal to upgrade your phone every year back when we were all using tiny flip phones. At least people have a reason to do it now. Who knows what the logic was for it back then?

Status and/or fashion. I kept my same tiny little PHS phone for like ten years though. Became a joke among friends that it still worked like "Doesn't that only run on 1990s' electricity?!"

Danvzare

Something that grinds my gears is when you come up with a well thought out theory to piece together a game's lore, making sure to point out all of the evidence and reasoning for how you came to this conclusion.
Only to have someone say "No, you're wrong." and that's it. No rebuttals, no other comments. Just that. All because your theory flies in the face of everyone's already pre-established head-canon.  >:(

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 11/11/2020 19:40:59
Something that grinds my gears is when you come up with a well thought out theory to piece together a game's lore, making sure to point out all of the evidence and reasoning for how you came to this conclusion.
Only to have someone say "No, you're wrong." and that's it. No rebuttals, no other comments. Just that. All because your theory flies in the face of everyone's already pre-established head-canon.  >:(

Undertale?

Stupot

Something that grinds my gears is when you come up with a [...] thought [...], making sure to point out all of the evidence and reasoning for how you came to this conclusion.
Only to have someone say "No, you're wrong." and that's it. No rebuttals, no other comments. Just that. All because [people are assholes].

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 12/11/2020 03:13:41
Something that grinds my gears is when you come up with a [...] thought [...], making sure to point out all of the evidence and reasoning for how you came to this conclusion.
Only to have someone say "No, you're wrong." and that's it. No rebuttals, no other comments. Just that. All because [people are assholes].

I have a friend who, every time I do that, his next sentence starts with: "I think it's more that..."

Mind you, it does keep a conversation moving.

Mandle

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 13/11/2020 00:11:32
Nose hair.
No, I think it’s more that you just haven’t got used to it. Nose hair is actually there to help protect you.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 13/11/2020 00:56:59
Nose hair.
No, I think it’s more that you just haven’t got used to it. Nose hair is actually there to help protect you.

Wait until you pass 50. It gets annoying as eff!!!

Jack

Just twirl it and tell people it's a moustache.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 12/11/2020 00:19:10
Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 11/11/2020 19:40:59

Undertale?
Lakeview Cabin actually. But it applies to every fandom really.

Nose hair.
To add to that: plucking nose hairs. Why does it make your eyes water?

Pogwizd

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 13/11/2020 16:00:36
Nose hair.
To add to that: plucking nose hairs. Why does it make your eyes water?

Why does it always make you sneeze, too? Or is it just me?

milkanannan

You guys pluck your nose hairs? Doesn't that hurt?

Mandle

You guys plucking your nose hairs doesn't make my eyes water or make me sneeze. What are you talking about?!

Pogwizd

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 14/11/2020 10:54:38
You guys plucking your nose hairs doesn't make my eyes water or make me sneeze. What are you talking about?!

Biology, I guess :)

Quote from: milkanannan on Sat 14/11/2020 04:24:30
You guys pluck your nose hairs? Doesn't that hurt?

A little bit, yeah. But when there's no hair trimmer around what choice have you got...?

heltenjon

It's so annoying when the solution to a puzzle is to use something that isn't marked in your inventory, but you in hindsight understand that you had. Like all those games where you are supposed to use your nose hairs to make an air filter. Or pick your nose to make your character sneeze and set off an avalanche.

Mouth for war

A few minor things that grinds my gears.

1. When you're doing the dishes and you think you're almost done. You remove that last plastic bowl that was standing upside down from the sink and realise it was covering another large stack of plates or

2. A lot of us game making nerds knows exactly how important those late nights are for us :-D Still you want to be considerate of others who are sleeping. You try your best to be quiet and immediately you drop something heavy on the floor or hit a piece of furniture...usually with your foot, and of course so you get hurt and are about to lose a nail and you must whisper the profanities you just want to yell out. Waking up the wife....and you have nowhere to run :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Khris

What grinds my gears right now is how prevalent innumeracy is. Or rather, people confidently and loudly spreading nonsense while also not understanding extremely basic math.

1. Biden and Trump are hailed for their record-breaking voter turnout all over the place. The amount of people who vote grows with the population though, so the only relevant figure is the percentage of potential voters. Both have less than Reagan, Trump has less than Bush, and if you go back to when women were allowed to vote, they are on #10 and #15, respectively, behind Nixon. Not exactly as news-worthy though, I guess.

2. One of the loudest anti-lockdown fuckwits in Germany is confused about how exponential growth works and thinks that if the growth rate goes down it's no longer exponential growth. This is trivially false, as anybody understands who has ever had a bank account and seen their interest go down a few points.

Mandle

Quote from: Khris on Thu 19/11/2020 17:56:36
What grinds my gears right now is how prevalent innumeracy is. Or rather, people confidently and loudly spreading nonsense while also not understanding extremely basic math.

Like a prominent flat-earther who constantly tells his cultish followers that the 10^-17 Torr (pressure) of space is a negative number, meaning that space supposedly has a "negative pressure" and that the vacuum of space should suck the Earth's atmosphere right off it. Not only is the math and science misunderstood, but also they think that "vacuum" means like a Dyson.

Snarky

That in English, "cloves" is a unit of measurement for garlic, and also a completely separate and different spice in its own right. Unacceptable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk