What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 19/11/2020 22:15:04
Quote from: Khris on Thu 19/11/2020 17:56:36
What grinds my gears right now is how prevalent innumeracy is. Or rather, people confidently and loudly spreading nonsense while also not understanding extremely basic math.

Like a prominent flat-earther who constantly tells his cultish followers that the 10^-17 Torr (pressure) of space is a negative number, meaning that space supposedly has a "negative pressure" and that the vacuum of space should suck the Earth's atmosphere right off it. Not only is the math and science misunderstood, but also they think that "vacuum" means like a Dyson.

Oh wow, really? By that same logic, we should all be dead.  ???
You'd think the obvious fact that space doesn't suck all of Earth's atmosphere right off of it, would tip him off that his logic is flawed. (Not to mention all of the other things he clearly forgot to take into account, including gravity, magnetic fields, ect).

It's like those people who come up with a design for a perpetual motion machine, and honestly believe it works. You'd think the fact that it doesn't work, would be enough to convince them that it doesn't work. But it isn't.  (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 22/11/2020 16:00:07
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 19/11/2020 22:15:04
Quote from: Khris on Thu 19/11/2020 17:56:36
What grinds my gears right now is how prevalent innumeracy is. Or rather, people confidently and loudly spreading nonsense while also not understanding extremely basic math.

Like a prominent flat-earther who constantly tells his cultish followers that the 10^-17 Torr (pressure) of space is a negative number, meaning that space supposedly has a "negative pressure" and that the vacuum of space should suck the Earth's atmosphere right off it. Not only is the math and science misunderstood, but also they think that "vacuum" means like a Dyson.

Oh wow, really? By that same logic, we should all be dead.  ???
You'd think the obvious fact that space doesn't suck all of Earth's atmosphere right off of it, would tip him off that his logic is flawed. (Not to mention all of the other things he clearly forgot to take into account, including gravity, magnetic fields, ect).

It's like those people who come up with a design for a perpetual motion machine, and honestly believe it works. You'd think the fact that it doesn't work, would be enough to convince them that it doesn't work. But it isn't.  (laugh)

But what you have failed to take into account is that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThlYHfIVa8

TheFrighter

"Black friday is the best day to shopping" is the line actually what are grindig mine.

_

Danvzare

It grinds my gears when people can't see past the name of something, and then they call you the idiot because you don't take things at face value.

For example: "Of course a coconut is a nut, why else would it have nut in the name?"
:-\

Mouth for war

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 14/12/2020 18:57:56
"Of course a coconut is a nut, why else would it have nut in the name?"

Grrr that grinds my gears too...a lot....ignorant people.
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 14/12/2020 18:57:56
It grinds my gears when people can't see past the name of something,

Not exactly what you were talking about but: I have a Japanese friend who refuses to watch some movies I know he would enjoy because of the stupidly translated Japanese naming of them.

Two examples:

"Raising Arizona" in Japanese is "Baby Thief" which makes it sound like it's about a baby who is a thief so my friend equates it with "Baby's Day Out" and "Look Who's talking".

"The Italian Job" in Japanese is "The Grand Mini Mini Heist" which sounds like some kind of stupid map-cap comedy romp. I recommended the original movie BTW, not the lackluster remake, but they both have the same names in Japanese.

No matter how many times I tell him that the Japanese naming does NOT represent the actual movies, he cannot get past the initial bad impressions those names gave him and will never watch those excellent films.

Danvzare

"Baby Thief" and "The Grand Mini Mini Heist" sound like names that would belong to some of the cheesiest and funniest movies I would ever seen.  (laugh)
Now I kind of want actual movies made, based on those names.

Also, could you imagine if those were the actual names of those movies in English?

It's a real shame that your friend can't see past those titles though.

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 15/12/2020 16:38:24
It's a real shame that your friend can't see past those titles though.

I kinda suspect that he's doing it to annoy me.  (laugh)

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that I keep seeing the same Cyberpunk 2077 ad everywhere.
(if you've missed it, see it at your own risk)
I never got into the hype and decided early on I didn't want it because it just seemed to be a bunch Cyberpunk cliches that has already been done in more original ways in dozens of games already,
a bunch of gritty crime tropes I detest, and sandbox gameplay, which is one of my least favorite genres, but what I really truly HATE about that game is it's poster/thumbnail that they put everywhere,
with the world's most generic guy standing in front of a neon-yellow single-color background so garish that it literally hurts my eyes watching it.

It's like somebody wished upon a monkey's paw to make AAA video games stop being so gray and brown and it fulfilled it in the most garish color possible.

heltenjon

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 28/01/2021 22:36:11
It grinds my gears that I keep seeing the same Cyberpunk 2077 ad everywhere.
(if you've missed it, see it at your own risk)
Caption for the ad: "The hairdresser deserves this!" (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 28/01/2021 22:36:11standing in front of a neon-yellow single-color background so garish that it literally hurts my eyes watching it.

This is what the smog in Los Angeles will look like in 2077.

Sinitrena

Amazon is grinding my gears right now. I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but here you always get the option to tick a box so that your order gets sent in as few packets as possible. I always tick this box and Amazon still manages to send my order with 7 items in 5 parcels. Are you f... kidding me? (And before you ask, all articles were in stock and are all supposed to arrive on the same day.) And it seems to happen more and more often. Two years ago or so, the max number of parcels from one order was two and my orders are always around 7 to 10 articles.
I mean, I know this is probably due to the things being send from different warehouses, but it's still annoying.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 01/02/2021 17:43:19
Amazon is grinding my gears right now. I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but here you always get the option to tick a box so that your order gets sent in as few packets as possible. I always tick this box and Amazon still manages to send my order with 7 items in 5 parcels. Are you f... kidding me? (And before you ask, all articles were in stock and are all supposed to arrive on the same day.) And it seems to happen more and more often. Two years ago or so, the max number of parcels from one order was two and my orders are always around 7 to 10 articles.
I mean, I know this is probably due to the things being send from different warehouses, but it's still annoying.
Maybe they expect all their customers to make unboxing videos?

Sinitrena

"Oh, here's the scotch tape. Yeah, needed that, I ran out..."
"Hey, look, the cable I soooooo wanted. I mean, it's just a spare in case my other one breaks but..."
"Wait! That's cool, batteries. Now I can use my kitchen scale again. But that reminds me, I need to buy flour when I go shopping the next time..."
(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

At least they managed to send all parcels with the same parcel service this time. More often than not, it's different ones and of course they don't come to your door at the same time.

heltenjon

This sounds like adventure game material to me...Parcel Quest!  (laugh)

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that there are so many nature "documentaries" that are all about painting nature as some kind of giant gladiator arena that's all about animals killing each other,
often just helping spread misconceptions of animals like White sharks, wolves, hyenas, and others being mindless killing machines rather than bringing any real education to the table.

it's so frustrating because firstly, most research has revealed that the majority of all animals have far more intricate social interactions than previously thought, a far cry from the "endless fight for dominance" narrative,
and secondly, very few wild animals pose an active danger to humans and about 90% of the cases of people being killed have been people actively running up and provoking them, trying to pick them up or chase them.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 16/02/2021 13:03:34
It grinds my gears that there are so many nature "documentaries" that are all about painting nature as some kind of giant gladiator arena that's all about animals killing each other,
often just helping spread misconceptions of animals like White sharks, wolves, hyenas, and others being mindless killing machines rather than bringing any real education to the table.

it's so frustrating because firstly, most research has revealed that the majority of all animals have far more intricate social interactions than previously thought, a far cry from the "endless fight for dominance" narrative,
and secondly, very few wild animals pose an active danger to humans and about 90% of the cases of people being killed have been people actively running up and provoking them, trying to pick them up or chase them.

I'm guessing you watched some of the ones with the narrator saying "The fierce beast lurks in the undergrowth, while its unsuspecting prey graze peacefully, never suspecting that anything was amiss... UNTIL!!!!"

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 16/02/2021 14:00:05
Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 16/02/2021 13:03:34

I'm guessing you watched some of the ones with the narrator saying "The fierce beast lurks in the undergrowth, while its unsuspecting prey graze peacefully, never suspecting that anything was amiss... UNTIL!!!!"

More or less. It doesn't help that several nature channels have stuff like "big cat week" or "shark month", meaning nearly all the documentaries will be the same species, sometimes even the same animal trashing some critter over and over.

Plus from what I've heard, some unscrupulous film crews even straighup shoot an antelope to get more footage of lions and their peers tearing a bloody carcass apart.

Mandle

My wife was watching a nature documentary that seems to be aware of our human tendency to demonize predators as the bad guys:

She watched in horror as a fox slaughtered a nest of baby birds while the mother was out foraging for them.

And then the film showed the mother fox bringing the dead baby birds back to her lair to feed to the cute-as-hell baby fox litter she was raising.

Even though she knows about how all this works, she still had the gut-reaction to watching the killing of the baby birds of "that fox is evil!" but then the next scene so contradicts that view that she was a bit shocked at herself for getting manipulated like that.

I wish I knew the name of the film because that is subversive genius!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 17/02/2021 04:09:52
My wife was watching a nature documentary that seems to be aware of our human tendency to demonize predators as the bad guys:

She watched in horror as a fox slaughtered a nest of baby birds while the mother was out foraging for them.

And then the film showed the mother fox bringing the dead baby birds back to her lair to feed to the cute-as-hell baby fox litter she was raising.

Even though she knows about how all this works, she still had the gut-reaction to watching the killing of the baby birds of "that fox is evil!" but then the next scene so contradicts that view that she was a bit shocked at herself for getting manipulated like that.

I wish I knew the name of the film because that is subversive genius!
Does she know deer and bovines sometimes also eat small birds for calcium? Let's just say they're not exactly Bambi out in the wild.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk