What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

What grinds my gears is when people say "Professional Wrestling is fake!" when it isn't its scripted but yet they dont realize that TV Shows & Movies are scripted as well...

_

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 22/04/2021 18:26:54

What grinds my gears is when people say "Professional Wrestling is fake!" when it isn't its scripted but yet they dont realize that TV Shows & Movies are scripted as well...

_
Indeed, most reality TV either edit the participants to look more excaggerated, or straight up ask them to play up the drama to get views.

Heck, even nature documentaries have been guilty of editing random footage of different animals  of the same species together to make a "story" about one animal.

Danvzare

Quote from: TheFrighter on Thu 22/04/2021 18:26:54

_
I know right, that grinds my gears too.
I'm not a fan of wrestling (I don't even like it), but saying "wrestling is fake" is like saying "operas are fake".
Congratulations, you've pointed out the obvious. Here's your redundancy trophy! (roll) It's annoying to say the least.  >:(
Besides, you've got to give wrestling credit for all of those stunts. Some of which are anything but fake.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 25/04/2021 18:33:16
Besides, you've got to give wrestling credit for all of those stunts. Some of which are anything but fake.
That's very true too, pretty much all stunts need not only a lot of choreography but also require the stuntman to be in pretty good physical shape too, and regular training and rehearsing,
I'm not even a wrestling fan, but I can still acknowledge that it takes a lot of effort from the wrestlers to do their job at least somewhat safe, it's not a fighting game where you can just mash buttons
and respawn good as new after every K.O.

Plus there's plenty of ethical problems with asking people to fight for real just for the sake of entertainment. You'd think our society had moved beyond Roman gladiatorial combat.

Stupot

Everyone already knows that wrestling is fake, so pointing it out is meaningless.

But, I do appreciate where those people are coming from. The fact that wrestling is fake means that it is literally just a soap opera. What grinds my gears is why is a soap opera covered on a sports channel? And why do people pay money to fill up arenas or stay up til the early hours of the morning to watch a bunch of oiled up actors prancing around pretending to hit each other.

Don’t get me wrong, I used to be into wrestling when I was a kid. I also used to watch Eastenders, but I guess I grew out of both.

Snarky

Today, believing wrestling is real is like believing in Santa Claus, but isn't a big reason people go on about it â€" in addition to what Stupot says â€" that for a long time the industry insisted it was real, and quite a few people did believe it?

I could be quite wrong, but my impression is that when wrestling broke out big on TV in the 1980s, a lot of people initially thought the fights were real (even if some of the personas and outside antics were an act). By the 1990s more and more (probably most) fans were aware it was fake, but a considerable number of naive/younger fans still were not (I didn't watch wrestling as a kid, but I remember vociferous arguments about it in, like, middle school), and the industry worked hard to stamp out any public acknowledgment of the playacting. Then as the Internet spread, a lot of the "inside info" became more widely known â€" including a lot of the insider jargon, such as "kayfabe" itself â€" and the industry gradually gave up on keeping the "secret" in anything but a symbolic way.

Cassiebsg

This is wrestling (Greco-Roman wrestling) and is a sport:

This is wrestling (WWE) and is a show (not a sport):

I think that's what they mean when they say "wrestling is fake"... it's a show, that it's "sold" as a sport event.  (roll)

EDIT: Snarky posted while I was making my post... :) I agree with him, I'm guessing only kids/youth believe it's real these days.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

TheFrighter

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 26/04/2021 16:27:56

This is wrestling (WWE) and is a show (not a sport):

To be precise it's called professional wrestling, where the "pro" means that matchs are worked. It is a light disclaimer, but not many people use it.

_

Cassiebsg

Sorry. I misspell the shows name.  :-[
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Here's something that's been grinding my gears recently.
Shops: "We want you to social distance and keep 2m apart. We've all got to do our part."
Also shops: "We've reorganized all of the shelves so the only way out is either to walk against traffic in a long winded zig-zag pattern, or squeeze past everyone waiting in the queue. This is what you get for not buying anything!"

heltenjon

Local worry: In schools during the Covid-19 pandemic - keep a meter or two of distance. On school buses - sit right next to each other.

Danvzare

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 04/05/2021 00:53:01
Local worry: In schools during the Covid-19 pandemic - keep a meter or two of distance. On school buses - sit right next to each other.
As we all know, you can't get infected when you're sitting down.  (laugh)

heltenjon

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 06/05/2021 17:14:09
Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 04/05/2021 00:53:01
As we all know, you can't get infected when you're sitting down.  (laugh)
And sitting ducks advance in the queue for getting a shot.  :P (laugh)

Stupot

What’s been grinding my gears lately.

There’s long been a sub-genre of tweets, memes, videos, gifs, etc. all about how annoying it is for creative people to be asked to do free work in return for ‘exposure’.

Now, I can understand how this is annoying and appreciate that creative people want it to be known that they have bills to pay and can’t work for free (although I don’t really like the attitude of these memes. What’s wrong with politely informing people that you do not work for free?).

The thing that is grinding my gears at the moment is an evolution of the above. Creative professionals are now stuck so far up their own asses that they won’t even field genuine requests from people who *are* willing to pay.

The video in the link below show’s some douche bag recreating a scene where someone first compliments their art and then asks them for their rate for commissions. The artist first refuses to give him the rate (?), and then when the interested party is predictably shocked by the rate, makes the other person out to be a right asshole.

https://twitter.com/papagaeio/status/1393371202115162113?s=21

Again, what’s wrong with just politely telling people ‘this is my rate, it might be a little higher than you expected because of a, b and c...’ That person will now learn what sort of price they might be looking at were they to then ask another artist a similar question.

Videos like this are just nasty and elitist. Not made to inform potential punters like me who might want to approach an artist for my board game project, for example. They’re just made to get likes and pats on the back from other artists.

Get over yourselves.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 15/05/2021 02:34:34
The video in the link below show’s some douche bag recreating a scene where someone first compliments their art and then asks them for their rate for commissions. The artist first refuses to give him the rate (?), and then when the interested party is predictably shocked by the rate, makes the other person out to be a right asshole.
Seeing the video, no, the artist doesn't refuse to give the client his rate, he says that it depends on the project, and yeah, it kinda does. It's one thing if he's only asking for a small thing that could be done in an hour, another if there is a huge art piece that requires tons of expensive materials and takes weeks to make. I really can't fault the artist for being frustrated.

Sure, it's kind of bad the video doesn't specify what kind of work the artist does or what the client is asking from him, but as someone who's been selling stuff on Etsy for a while now, I can say that it is incredibly frustrating to see people with the mindset that creative people and artists
just love every single step in the process of their work, and can just magically conjure up fantastic stuff with zero effort or cost to themselves. I've tried many different crafts, resin, sewing, miniature making, and not only do the materials cost a lot if you want good quality, but pretty much all those things take several hours or even days to complete, and if you do it full time for a living, I'd say it's pretty understandable that an artist would want a day's wage for a day's work.

And not to mention that being able to find stuff for free online or buy incredibly cheap things made in china has warped people's idea of what things would actually cost in comparison to the work put in, good craftsmanship has always been expensive.

Danvzare

There's a few sayings that spring to mind "A fair day's wage, for a fair day's work.", "You don't get ought for nought." and the most popular one "Nothing's free."

The reason why some people aren't polite and don't simply say "I don't work for free." is because of the amount of harassment they've gotten from people who want stuff for free, not to mention the amount of people who want things done for dirt cheap. Anyone who provides any kind of service has had to deal with this. My father has a gardening side-business, and he complains non-stop about people wanting their gardens done for practically nothing. And the thing is, he is cheap! (Personally I think he should raise his prices, he's way too cheap.)

That all being said, you've got to be polite to your customers, no matter how annoyed you may get. That's one of the first rules for any business. So while I agree with you about them needing to be polite, I also agree with Blondbraid about them having every right to not be polite.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that the popular depiction of unicorns has moved away from beautiful imaginative creatures, with a plethora of strange and fantastic traits like this;

to tacky rainbow my little pony style creatures like this:

It's even gotten to the point some people even use the word "unicorn" as a synonym for "garish rainbow stuff".

It's just so frustrating to see what is a legit cool fantasy creature full of exciting potential basically be reduced to an ugly design that would look absolutely idiotic and out of place outside a pastel kids cartoon.
For comparison, imagine everyone just phased out all forms of cool dinosaurs from pop culture, until they were no longer associated with the majestic and impressive animals we'd see in works like Jurassic Park,
but instead, the only type of dinosaur known and spread among people who weren't huge paleontology nerds was this:

And just FYI, I thought rainbow unicorns with big cartoon cow snouts were tacky and ugly even when I used to be a little girl in the intended target demographic.

TheFrighter

Same thing with elves, most of people think they are friendly bimbo charachters like this:

...but in the old tales they was ugly dirty bastards.

_

heltenjon

Or angels. There was probably a reason their first line most often is "Don't be afraid."

Blondbraid

Well, at least elves also got to be associated with beautiful yet badass Tolkien/DnD style characters. Legolas, anyone?  ;)

It seems that with most folklore creatures, like dragons, trolls, vampires, and ghosts, you have bowdlerized defanged kiddie versions,
but you also still have serious high fantasy depictions of them in lots of media, whereas with unicorns, it's like someone in the
the late 80s saw the legends saying that they could only be bested and tamed by maidens and decided "EeeeEwww Cooties!" and that
unicorns should be exclusively relegated to baby girl stuff ever since.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk