A redesign of the AGS site is now ready to be implemented! Please help us with art and content.

Author Topic: What grinds my gears!  (Read 118041 times)

Re: What grinds my gears!
« Reply #960 on: 09 Jun 2021, 22:08 »
Perhaps we need to make a game where the plot is that the killer unicorn needs to get rid of the four elephants stuck speared by its horn before it dies from the smell.  (laugh)

« Reply #961 on: 10 Jun 2021, 16:00 »
Erm, this cutenization thing is a global trend that spreads everywhere.

For example, this is a Zerg creatures from the Starcraft game:

And then the game fans do things like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/0f/00/5b0f006197a9f271376514565327ece3.jpg

and like this...
https://www.deviantart.com/tessryne/art/Zerg-Hydralisk-751696275
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2021, 16:04 by Crimson Wizard »

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #962 on: 10 Jun 2021, 16:11 »
Well, at least elves also got to be associated with beautiful yet badass Tolkien/DnD style characters. Legolas, anyone?  ;)

It seems that with most folklore creatures, like dragons, trolls, vampires, and ghosts, you have bowdlerized defanged kiddie versions,
but you also still have serious high fantasy depictions of them in lots of media, whereas with unicorns, it's like someone in the
the late 80s saw the legends saying that they could only be bested and tamed by maidens and decided "EeeeEwww Cooties!" and that
unicorns should be exclusively relegated to baby girl stuff ever since.
There are still plenty of depictions of proper majestic unicorns. Googling "Unicorn Statue" gives me nothing but results for the majestic kind. And this is from someone whose search history should give him Twilight Sparkle.  (laugh)
Take a look for yourself if you don't believe me. I don't get a cutesy unicorn until the 49th image. (Yes, I counted.)

The problem isn't that cutesy unicorns have completely replaced majestic unicorns, but that they're way more popular. If you say "unicorn" people are going to think of the cutesy one first.
And I completely understand why that grinds your gears. I remember when fast zombies had practically replaced slow zombies in the same way. But thankfully the success of The Walking Dead managed to revert that.

Also CW is right about how it's a global trend that spreads everywhere. For example, just look at Kobold... then look up Cutebold. The latter is a fan-depiction based on Dwarf Fortress. A game with terrifying unicorns by the way. Even in an environment like that, people can't help but make things look cute!

« Reply #963 on: 10 Jun 2021, 19:49 »
I would agree. The unicorn in general depiction is not what it was. Although cute and lovely versions of things are quite alright (and mostly quite inspired), it is impossible to not see that the cuteicorn phenomenon is greatly inflated. Still, other depictions remain, and as I have always been fond of unicorns (I got into fights over the matter in school, I recall, which is an amusingly ridiculous reason on reflection), it is pleasing to encounter them. I do not think the 'proper' unicorn is in danger of being 'forgotten' - provided that it is indeed depicted. Art - games - words. Let the unicorn in.
Dwarf Fortress unicorns, as Danvzare mentioned, are quite menacing, amusingly. They live in 'good' lands, but they were quite capable of wreaking havoc on your dwarfs, kicking and goring. They are less dangerous now, but they are still a threat, particularly since the elves (less wise and decidedly less nice in Dwarf Fortress than in most other depictions) use them as war beasts.

All together, I do hope for better days for the unicorn. There is so much one can do with them while retaining their majesty.
'Cute' things are not a problem - provided that the object of the cute renditions are not utterly overshadowed by a hollow cuddle-simulacrum with all meaning of the old sand-papered off. If nothing else, our children deserves better. And now I feel I must put my crowns where my mouth is, and make some sort of unicorn game.

On angels, it is important to remember that any rendition of them is a vain attempt to describe the indescribable and depict that which pictures cannot reach. Not that it is not worth attempting just because it is impossible, mind. Angels are not 'supposed' to be blazing, all-seeing wheels, but it is 'closer' to what they are than a chap with wings, although not one depiction can be held as more 'right' than the other. An angel unmasked is a terrifying thing, so it is little wonder that they come in veils. Place and purpose is what matters, and I do not think you can get a depiction more or less 'right', only more or less fitting.

Part of the confusion, of course, comes from the term 'cherub', which in modern popular speak is taken to mean exclusively a fat little babby with wings, rather than AWE IN BEING, as it were. Although I imagine that if Cherubim have a sense of humour, they find it most amusing. The little winged children, putti, meanwhile, are more than mere decorations in their symbology, of course. They are very old, and hold so many different meanings. Far more than an adorable 'down-grade' for Cherubim, although one cannot wonder that it has become an impression. Indeed, it is like what has befallen the unicorn; considered but a slightly tacky and sugary decoration. Somewhat vexing.

Now, hurrah for the magnificent unicorn - queen of beasts!

« Reply #964 on: 19 Jun 2021, 14:33 »
I disagree of course, because that would make changing the calendar on your fridge, a game. But that doesn't matter, since I've already agreed with you about there being multiple definitions. and yours being completely valid in this case.

Dude, you can gamify anything.

So every morning my alarm goes off at 8:05.  It takes me a bit to get out of bed and make my way downstairs.  But if I can tear off yesterday's calendar date by 8:15 every morning, I win for the day.

I just scored a point for myself in my own little game of life by coming up with this reply.

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
« Reply #965 on: 20 Jun 2021, 15:23 »
I disagree of course, because that would make changing the calendar on your fridge, a game. But that doesn't matter, since I've already agreed with you about there being multiple definitions. and yours being completely valid in this case.

Dude, you can gamify anything.

So every morning my alarm goes off at 8:05.  It takes me a bit to get out of bed and make my way downstairs.  But if I can tear off yesterday's calendar date by 8:15 every morning, I win for the day.

I just scored a point for myself in my own little game of life by coming up with this reply.

Yeah, I know. Snarky corrected me on it.  (nod)

« Reply #966 on: Yesterday at 07:53 »
Has anyone seen the Netflix show Katla? It seemed great at first: a slow-burn, psychological sci-fi mystery with amazing atmosphere and cinematography. BUT...

The behavior of the characters in the show is *insanely* illogical and stupid. I'm not a stickler for these things, I'm usually perfectly fine with suspending disbelief and just enjoying the themes and atmosphere when logic takes a back seat. But this one takes all the frustrating contrivances from mystery shows like Lost and brings them to an entirely new level. People *never* ask the most basic questions. Nobody has a coherent conversation about anything - it's always a variation on "vague comment - vague response - pensive stare - leaves without a word." Ridiculous and disastrous misunderstandings ensue because none of these people seem capable of forming a sentence. It literally had me yell at the screen a few times, and then wonder if this is supposed to be some sort of dream reality, or if they are intentionally trolling the audience. I haven't been this frustrated with a piece of entertainment for a very, very long time.

Anybody with me? :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 16:43 by Honza »

« Reply #967 on: Yesterday at 10:14 »
@Honza - I’ve been thinking of watching this. From the trailer, it seemed a bit like DARK, which is the best thing to come out of Netflix so far. Based on your review, I will lower my expectations. But if I watch it, I’ll share my thoughts.

By the way, everyone watch Dark.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 13:06 by Stupot »

« Reply #968 on: Yesterday at 11:23 »
Funny you should mention it. My wife started watching Katla just today (first handful of episodes). I caught 20 minutes with her at lunch. Not enough to make any kind of judgement, but even the 20 minutes I saw fits your description exactly lol. More than one scene in some poorly lit room where vague questions meet vaguer answers. (laugh)

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
« Reply #969 on: Yesterday at 12:36 »
I've never watched Katla, but I have encountered a few movies and TV shows that have had the same annoying thing. But I can't name any of them from the top of my head, so they couldn't have been that memorable.
From the sounds of things though, that Katla sounds like it takes things to an entirely different level. I felt myself getting frustrated from your description alone!  8-0

« Reply #970 on: Yesterday at 15:10 »
@Honza - I’ve been thinking of watching this. From the trailer, it seemed a bit like DARK, which is the best thing to come out of Netflix so far. Based on your review, I will lower my expectations. But if I watch it, I’ll share my thoughts.

By the way, everyone watch Dark.

I really enjoyed the first season of Dark, kept watching through the second, but then I gave up on it halfway through the third season - it became too convoluted, I realized that most of the time I had no idea what was going on anymore ;). Katla is similar to Dark in tone and atmosphere, but the story is much simpler and more straightforward. The plot could probably be condensed into one episode of Outer Limits.

A lot of people seem to enjoy Katla, it has surprisingly good reviews - so maybe give it a try regardless of what I said. There's a lot to admire about it if you can get past the way the characters (don't) communicate or even think clearly.

Sinitrena

• Mittens Serf
  • Wheel of Fate
    • I can help with translating
    • Sinitrena worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Sinitrena worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #971 on: Yesterday at 15:32 »
I really enjoyed the first season of Dark, kept watching through the second, but then I gave up on it halfway through the third season - it became too convoluted, I realized that most of the time I had no idea what was going on anymore ;).

https://dark.netflix.io/en  -  helps keeping track of people and relationships. You can choose season and episode to avoid spoilers. I didn't need it, but I binge-watched, which really helped, not too much time between episodes, so not so much stuff I could forget from one episode to the next or from season to the next.

I guess I'll give Katla a pass. People not properly talking to each other really annoys me in fictional characters. More than one otherwise good book was ruined by this for me.  (wrong)

« Reply #972 on: Today at 00:04 »
https://dark.netflix.io/en  -  helps keeping track of people and relationships. You can choose season and episode to avoid spoilers. I didn't need it, but I binge-watched, which really helped, not too much time between episodes, so not so much stuff I could forget from one episode to the next or from season to the next.

That's a really well-made website! I think I could have made sense of it if I had been more invested, but the endlessly labyrinthine nature of the plot started feeling silly to me - it seemed to have reached a point where everything that could have been done had been done at least three times and nothing could surprise me anymore. I still respect the show, but if I want a story in the form of a Sudoku puzzle, I'll finally finish Obra Dinn instead :). Actually, come to think of it, Dark might be one of those rare cases of a story that would work better as a game.