What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

Perhaps we need to make a game where the plot is that the killer unicorn needs to get rid of the four elephants stuck speared by its horn before it dies from the smell.  (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Erm, this cutenization thing is a global trend that spreads everywhere.

For example, this is a Zerg creatures from the Starcraft game:

And then the game fans do things like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/0f/00/5b0f006197a9f271376514565327ece3.jpg

and like this...
https://www.deviantart.com/tessryne/art/Zerg-Hydralisk-751696275

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 09/06/2021 21:52:23
Well, at least elves also got to be associated with beautiful yet badass Tolkien/DnD style characters. Legolas, anyone?  ;)

It seems that with most folklore creatures, like dragons, trolls, vampires, and ghosts, you have bowdlerized defanged kiddie versions,
but you also still have serious high fantasy depictions of them in lots of media, whereas with unicorns, it's like someone in the
the late 80s saw the legends saying that they could only be bested and tamed by maidens and decided "EeeeEwww Cooties!" and that
unicorns should be exclusively relegated to baby girl stuff ever since.
There are still plenty of depictions of proper majestic unicorns. Googling "Unicorn Statue" gives me nothing but results for the majestic kind. And this is from someone whose search history should give him Twilight Sparkle.  (laugh)
Take a look for yourself if you don't believe me. I don't get a cutesy unicorn until the 49th image. (Yes, I counted.)

The problem isn't that cutesy unicorns have completely replaced majestic unicorns, but that they're way more popular. If you say "unicorn" people are going to think of the cutesy one first.
And I completely understand why that grinds your gears. I remember when fast zombies had practically replaced slow zombies in the same way. But thankfully the success of The Walking Dead managed to revert that.

Also CW is right about how it's a global trend that spreads everywhere. For example, just look at Kobold... then look up Cutebold. The latter is a fan-depiction based on Dwarf Fortress. A game with terrifying unicorns by the way. Even in an environment like that, people can't help but make things look cute!

Reiter

I would agree. The unicorn in general depiction is not what it was. Although cute and lovely versions of things are quite alright (and mostly quite inspired), it is impossible to not see that the cuteicorn phenomenon is greatly inflated. Still, other depictions remain, and as I have always been fond of unicorns (I got into fights over the matter in school, I recall, which is an amusingly ridiculous reason on reflection), it is pleasing to encounter them. I do not think the 'proper' unicorn is in danger of being 'forgotten' - provided that it is indeed depicted. Art - games - words. Let the unicorn in.
Dwarf Fortress unicorns, as Danvzare mentioned, are quite menacing, amusingly. They live in 'good' lands, but they were quite capable of wreaking havoc on your dwarfs, kicking and goring. They are less dangerous now, but they are still a threat, particularly since the elves (less wise and decidedly less nice in Dwarf Fortress than in most other depictions) use them as war beasts.

All together, I do hope for better days for the unicorn. There is so much one can do with them while retaining their majesty.
'Cute' things are not a problem - provided that the object of the cute renditions are not utterly overshadowed by a hollow cuddle-simulacrum with all meaning of the old sand-papered off. If nothing else, our children deserves better. And now I feel I must put my crowns where my mouth is, and make some sort of unicorn game.

On angels, it is important to remember that any rendition of them is a vain attempt to describe the indescribable and depict that which pictures cannot reach. Not that it is not worth attempting just because it is impossible, mind. Angels are not 'supposed' to be blazing, all-seeing wheels, but it is 'closer' to what they are than a chap with wings, although not one depiction can be held as more 'right' than the other. An angel unmasked is a terrifying thing, so it is little wonder that they come in veils. Place and purpose is what matters, and I do not think you can get a depiction more or less 'right', only more or less fitting.

Part of the confusion, of course, comes from the term 'cherub', which in modern popular speak is taken to mean exclusively a fat little babby with wings, rather than AWE IN BEING, as it were. Although I imagine that if Cherubim have a sense of humour, they find it most amusing. The little winged children, putti, meanwhile, are more than mere decorations in their symbology, of course. They are very old, and hold so many different meanings. Far more than an adorable 'down-grade' for Cherubim, although one cannot wonder that it has become an impression. Indeed, it is like what has befallen the unicorn; considered but a slightly tacky and sugary decoration. Somewhat vexing.

Now, hurrah for the magnificent unicorn - queen of beasts!

dactylopus

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 02/04/2021 15:56:13
I disagree of course, because that would make changing the calendar on your fridge, a game. But that doesn't matter, since I've already agreed with you about there being multiple definitions. and yours being completely valid in this case.

Dude, you can gamify anything.

So every morning my alarm goes off at 8:05.  It takes me a bit to get out of bed and make my way downstairs.  But if I can tear off yesterday's calendar date by 8:15 every morning, I win for the day.

I just scored a point for myself in my own little game of life by coming up with this reply.

Danvzare

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 19/06/2021 14:33:53
Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 02/04/2021 15:56:13
I disagree of course, because that would make changing the calendar on your fridge, a game. But that doesn't matter, since I've already agreed with you about there being multiple definitions. and yours being completely valid in this case.

Dude, you can gamify anything.

So every morning my alarm goes off at 8:05.  It takes me a bit to get out of bed and make my way downstairs.  But if I can tear off yesterday's calendar date by 8:15 every morning, I win for the day.

I just scored a point for myself in my own little game of life by coming up with this reply.

Yeah, I know. Snarky corrected me on it.  (nod)

Honza

Has anyone seen the Netflix show Katla? It seemed great at first: a slow-burn, psychological sci-fi mystery with amazing atmosphere and cinematography. BUT...

The behavior of the characters in the show is *insanely* illogical and stupid. I'm not a stickler for these things, I'm usually perfectly fine with suspending disbelief and just enjoying the themes and atmosphere when logic takes a back seat. But this one takes all the frustrating contrivances from mystery shows like Lost and brings them to an entirely new level. People *never* ask the most basic questions. Nobody has a coherent conversation about anything - it's always a variation on "vague comment - vague response - pensive stare - leaves without a word." Ridiculous and disastrous misunderstandings ensue because none of these people seem capable of forming a sentence. It literally had me yell at the screen a few times, and then wonder if this is supposed to be some sort of dream reality, or if they are intentionally trolling the audience. I haven't been this frustrated with a piece of entertainment for a very, very long time.

Anybody with me? :)

Stupot

@Honza - I’ve been thinking of watching this. From the trailer, it seemed a bit like DARK, which is the best thing to come out of Netflix so far. Based on your review, I will lower my expectations. But if I watch it, I’ll share my thoughts.

By the way, everyone watch Dark.

milkanannan

Funny you should mention it. My wife started watching Katla just today (first handful of episodes). I caught 20 minutes with her at lunch. Not enough to make any kind of judgement, but even the 20 minutes I saw fits your description exactly lol. More than one scene in some poorly lit room where vague questions meet vaguer answers. (laugh)

Danvzare

I've never watched Katla, but I have encountered a few movies and TV shows that have had the same annoying thing. But I can't name any of them from the top of my head, so they couldn't have been that memorable.
From the sounds of things though, that Katla sounds like it takes things to an entirely different level. I felt myself getting frustrated from your description alone!  8-0

Honza

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 24/06/2021 10:14:06
@Honza - I’ve been thinking of watching this. From the trailer, it seemed a bit like DARK, which is the best thing to come out of Netflix so far. Based on your review, I will lower my expectations. But if I watch it, I’ll share my thoughts.

By the way, everyone watch Dark.

I really enjoyed the first season of Dark, kept watching through the second, but then I gave up on it halfway through the third season - it became too convoluted, I realized that most of the time I had no idea what was going on anymore ;). Katla is similar to Dark in tone and atmosphere, but the story is much simpler and more straightforward. The plot could probably be condensed into one episode of Outer Limits.

A lot of people seem to enjoy Katla, it has surprisingly good reviews - so maybe give it a try regardless of what I said. There's a lot to admire about it if you can get past the way the characters (don't) communicate or even think clearly.

Sinitrena

Quote from: Honza on Thu 24/06/2021 15:10:14
I really enjoyed the first season of Dark, kept watching through the second, but then I gave up on it halfway through the third season - it became too convoluted, I realized that most of the time I had no idea what was going on anymore ;).

https://dark.netflix.io/en  -  helps keeping track of people and relationships. You can choose season and episode to avoid spoilers. I didn't need it, but I binge-watched, which really helped, not too much time between episodes, so not so much stuff I could forget from one episode to the next or from season to the next.

I guess I'll give Katla a pass. People not properly talking to each other really annoys me in fictional characters. More than one otherwise good book was ruined by this for me.  (wrong)

Honza

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 24/06/2021 15:32:22
https://dark.netflix.io/en  -  helps keeping track of people and relationships. You can choose season and episode to avoid spoilers. I didn't need it, but I binge-watched, which really helped, not too much time between episodes, so not so much stuff I could forget from one episode to the next or from season to the next.

That's a really well-made website! I think I could have made sense of it if I had been more invested, but the endlessly labyrinthine nature of the plot started feeling silly to me - it seemed to have reached a point where everything that could have been done had been done at least three times and nothing could surprise me anymore. I still respect the show, but if I want a story in the form of a Sudoku puzzle, I'll finally finish Obra Dinn instead :). Actually, come to think of it, Dark might be one of those rare cases of a story that would work better as a game.

Danvzare

It grinds my gears when someone leaves a voicemail, asking you to call back, and then quickly saying the phone number and hanging up.
I usually have to listen to the same message a dozen times just to be able to write down the number.
The audio quality already makes it difficult to understand the numbers. Saying it quickly doesn't help! And it's even worse when there's a long introduction before they get to the telephone number, so you have to spend even more time listening to the message.

Why can't people just say the number slowly, giving noticeable pauses every three or four numbers, and repeating it all at least once. That's what TV adverts do, and they actually have good audio quality!
Or better yet, leave a text!  >:(

cat

When people who are coughing and sneezing say "It's okay, I'm tested, it's not COVID". I'm vaccinated against COVID but not against the common cold. Could you please keep your germs to your self, no matter what illness?

Blondbraid

Quote from: cat on Thu 07/10/2021 09:28:58
When people who are coughing and sneezing say "It's okay, I'm tested, it's not COVID". I'm vaccinated against COVID but not against the common cold. Could you please keep your germs to your self, no matter what illness?
I thought it was common sense even before Covid hit to sneeze in your elbow and not on other people.

Anyway, something that really grinds my gears is how the new TV series Squid Game seems to be spreading among kids. I haven't watched Squid Game (I got a bit squeamish reading that there'd be a scene with a man getting his eye gouged out of it's socket),
but from what I've seen it's similar to the hunger games/Battle royale in concept but with children's games instead of straightup gladiator fighting, so it's rather disturbing how I've seen not only reports of kids playing the games of the show and getting violent with
the kids who lose the games, (I've even heard it first-hand from a friend with her kid in elementary school) but a bunch of social media channels aimed at kids featuring squid game themed things (an otherwise kid-friendly crafting channel I followed suddenly made a video on how to make plushies of the squid game guards) and basically promoting an R-rated show to children. It's even ended up promoting straight-up animal abuse with people making animal videos of hamsters running dangerous obstacle courses and fighting "challenges":

It's insane how little monitoring goes into what kids watch and what gets to count as kid's content, but also how lax parents are with what their kids see and letting them onto social media unsupervised. Seriously,
AGE RESTRICTIONS EXIST FOR A REASON.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 25/10/2021 11:20:21
Quote from: cat on Thu 07/10/2021 09:28:58
I thought it was common sense even before Covid hit to sneeze in your elbow and not on other people.

Anyway, something that really grinds my gears is how the new TV series Squid Game seems to be spreading among kids.

You'd think it would be common sense to sneeze in your elbow before Covid hit. But it certainly wasn't where I lived. I remember having to teach someone ELSE that, when doing a health and safety in the kitchen course.

As for Squid Game spreading among kids. Personally, I'm already on the hate-bandwagon, especially since I can think of half a dozen anime with the same premise, all of which were probably done better.
But now that you've mentioned it, it is kind of disturbing that kids are playing it when you think about it. I mean, I actually know of a school which played a form of it!  :-X

But, with that being said, even though I find it a little disturbing, I've got no problem with it. Mostly because kids are a bunch of scary psychopaths anyway. I should know, I have strong memories of my childhood. I remember always shooting the kid dead on Deus Ex, after giving him the chocolate bar and him giving me the code, because I wanted my chocolate bar!
Not to mention the dystopian stories I used to come up with... and that I didn't realize were dystopian until I reflected on them in my adulthood.

And while you might think that parents are being too lax nowadays, I personally think they're being too strict. I've heard of parents who won't let their kids watch superhero movies until a certain age, because they're too violent!
Meanwhile, here's my parents letting me watch horror movies when I was little kid. I think exposing kids to that kind of content (within reason of course), helps them learn the difference between fantasy and fiction before they're incapable of learning it (which in my opinion results in the type of people who say video games cause violence). But like you said, age restrictions exist for a reason. I mean, letting your kid onto social media unsupervised isn't exactly a great idea.
But hey, if it's become popular among kids, you aren't going to stop them from watching it. I remember cartoons from the 90s which had episodes covering that.  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Well, I want to add that while I get where you're coming from, and I do think kids can handle more than people think they do, I still think there's a huge difference between having media aimed at kids
deal with dark or mature topics in a manner kids can understand, and letting kids have unsupervised access to adult media, often taken out of context to begin with.

Regarding facts and fiction, it's easy to say fiction doesn't affect you as an adult, but kids don't have fully developed brains.
Now, young kids might not be dumb enough to think all violence on the screen is real, but I think plenty of them are just grasping that the people in the show are actors, and they don't die for real, they are fine afterward,
but the kids don't get that the actors aren't physically fighting each other or doing dangerous things for real, and so don't understand that they can't do the things the actors do straight away with no safety precautions.

And sure, many kids have sociopathic tendencies, but much of it is exactly because they don't understand the consequences or implications of it yet, and waving it off can often make it worse.
Like with the animal video, I suspect most making such videos didn't even realize they were actually endangering them, and rather than educate them after the fact, it had probably been better
if they hadn't been given living animals to treat as toys to begin with until the pet shop had verified that they were mature enough to handle living animals without harming them. (wrong)

QuoteAs for Squid Game spreading among kids. Personally, I'm already on the hate-bandwagon, especially since I can think of half a dozen anime with the same premise, all of which were probably done better.
Well, I never liked people accusing the Hunger Games of being a ripoff of Battle Royale, because that, in turn, was drawing from Swords and Sandals movies with gladiator fights, which in turn was based on real history like the Romans.

What I do hate about Squid game though, is despite being so blatant with its anti-capitalist message and clearly trying to portray the titular game as wrong and depraved, looking at all social media peddling merch and activities based on the show,
they have failed miserably in conveying the message to the audience.

Say what you want about the Hunger Games, but at least I never saw a bunch of cheap children's toys based on the films or kids being encouraged to recreate the games on social media.

And as for social media, I don't think kids below 16 should have any, period. And any parents who disagree should read this comic:

TheFrighter

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 25/10/2021 11:20:21

AGE RESTRICTIONS EXIST FOR A REASON.
Netflix doesn't have a parental control system?

_

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighter on Mon 25/10/2021 18:00:33
Netflix doesn't have a parental control system?

_
If it has, too many parents evidently don't use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk