What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Squid Game is definitely not for kids I’ve only seen ep1, but yeah just on sheer body count and amount of  blood I would not encourage parents to let their kids watch it. Certainly not primary-aged kids, anyway. Secondary age may be a different matter. Like Dan, I was allowed to watch some pretty bad horror from a fairly young age and I actually thank my mum for that. She played it perfectly. There were still rules but my sister and friends lived near a video shop that didn’t care about the age ratings so we were allowed to discover our own limits and didn’t become Disney kids. Thank you, Mum.

As for the violent playground games, that’s nothing new. As long as no one is killed then it’s just a regular playground game, albeit with a new theme. If it does get particularly bad, schools will ban them just as  they banned British Bulldog when I was a kid.

Cassiebsg

---when the forum is down, and I fell lost.  8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

Same here - I'm so glad they are up again!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 25/10/2021 23:04:47
Squid Game is definitely not for kids I’ve only seen ep1, but yeah just on sheer body count and amount of  blood I would not encourage parents to let their kids watch it. Certainly not primary-aged kids, anyway. Secondary age may be a different matter. Like Dan, I was allowed to watch some pretty bad horror from a fairly young age and I actually thank my mum for that. She played it perfectly. There were still rules but my sister and friends lived near a video shop that didn’t care about the age ratings so we were allowed to discover our own limits and didn’t become Disney kids. Thank you, Mum.

As for the violent playground games, that’s nothing new. As long as no one is killed then it’s just a regular playground game, albeit with a new theme. If it does get particularly bad, schools will ban them just as  they banned British Bulldog when I was a kid.
Yeah, while the age you can handle films made for adults might vary, there's still a pretty huge difference between edgy teenagers seeking out such media because they know it's made for adults,
and their parents are ready to acknowledge that and talk to them about what they see and the content they consume, and lazy parents who just not care what their elementary school kids click on when surfing the web on their own.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 28/10/2021 17:17:51
---when the forum is down, and I fell lost.  8-0
Quote from: cat on Thu 28/10/2021 19:49:11
Same here - I'm so glad they are up again!
I'm glad I'm not the only one, these forums are one of the few places on the Internet where I can actually feel like there are worthwhile conversations going on.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 25/10/2021 23:04:47

If it does get particularly bad, schools will ban them just as  they banned British Bulldog when I was a kid.

Banned for what?  ???

_

Matti

What grinds my gears is when bicyclists drive on the sideway using one of those bright white lamps that shine horizontally, blinding everyone. Especially when it's an annoying strobe light! And even more so when they don't even ride the bicycle and just pushing it!

milkanannan

Lol why a strobe light anyway? I’d imagine that would be annoying for them too?

Matti

I guess people using them feel especially safe. I've definitely seen more of them over the last years.

Cassiebsg

If they blind the drivers, that's not safer... a reflective vest and a normal bike light (with charged batteries) is good enough. Some bike helmets also have inbuilt lights that one can use as extra light.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Yeah, I’ve never understood the strobe light on a bicycle. How obnoxious do you have to be?

Stupot

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 09/12/2021 14:14:25
Ed Sheeran
People who leave me in anticipation for the elaboration of their statement.  (laugh)

Frodo

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 09/12/2021 14:37:35
People who leave me in anticipation for the elaboration of their statement.  (laugh)

Couldn't resist   :grin:

Stupot

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 09/12/2021 14:37:35
Ed Sheeran
No elaboration necessary. Ed Sheeran grinds my gears.

heltenjon

Ed Sheeran
But you've got to admit you love it when he does it like that?

milkanannan

I'm not sure why or how I've received this blessing, but I can't name a single Ed Sheeran song, and it's possible I've never even heard one of his songs. I thought he sang that terrible "I'll be riding shotgun underneath the hot sun" song, but I just Googled and that's someone else.

Stupot

I honestly couldn't put a name to any of his songs either, but I know I've heard them. It's like... they're okay, but they're not most-downloaded-on-Spotify okay, or most-viewed-on-YouTube okay. They're just like acceptable-pub-act-when-the-T-Rex-Tribute-act-wasn't-available okay.

And the way he keeps popping up in films and TV shows is just cringe. He really should learn to say no. He's only in [the God-awful] Red Notice (referencing his own appearance in Game of Thrones, no less) because Netflix made that film with with an AI algorithm and his name was inevitably spat out. I genuinely watched that scene through my fingers and realised maybe 7 minutes later that the cringe was still locked on my face. In fact, I'm doing it again as I type this.

Sorry, I said no elaboration needed. Whoops.

[edit: also... I keep getting told by Japanese people that I look like Ed Sheeran and I really don't. For a start, he's better looking than me.

Sinitrena

And I thought Ed Sheeran was the only slightly decent part of Red Notice. At least the part with him had a hint of self-awareness. Ed Sheeran himself I don't mind. His face is too recognizable as 'Ed Sheeran' to every play a serious, non-cameo role and his music is pretty forgettable. When it comes to artists that grind my gears, there are a lot of better candidates.

Mandle

It grinds my gears that everyone here is talking about Ed Sheeran like it's probably a normal thing people talk about all the time, and I have no idea who Ed Sheeran is.

But I'm gonna join in anyway:

Ed Sheeran? What kind of a stupid name is that? What does he do? Shear sheep or something? What an asshole.

cat

I had no idea who he is and had to google him. But I have to admit, there is indeed a slight resemblance :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk