What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Fri 10/12/2021 08:52:40
But I have to admit, there is indeed a slight resemblance :P

I must admit that I thought the same thing.

heltenjon

I mostly hear Ed Sheeran's music because my kids want to listen to a top 40 channel on the radio in the car, so I'm not all that familiar with him. However, I like the songs and music videos "Perfect" and "Lego House" (starring Rupert Grint in the video)....speaking of resemblance... :-D

milkanannan

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 10/12/2021 08:50:00
I have no idea who Ed Sheeran is.

I had no idea who he is and had to google him.

Thank God - I was starting to think I was stuck in a parallel universe. I know his name, but as for knowing his music or recognising a cameo in other media...  ???

dactylopus

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 10/12/2021 04:46:40
edit: also… I keep getting told by Japanese people that I look like Ed Sheeran and I really don’t. For a start, he’s better looking than me.
Ouch, that's a heinous self-burn.

I didn't mind a few songs like "Shape of You" earlier on, but at this point I've heard them more than they're worth.  It's not bad music, it's just nothing special.

I agree, it's getting a bit annoying seeing him everywhere.  His cameo in 'Yesterday' at least felt appropriate, despite him being a bit of a knob in it.

Danvzare

Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 10/12/2021 14:22:09
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 10/12/2021 08:50:00
I have no idea who Ed Sheeran is.

I had no idea who he is and had to google him.

Thank God - I was starting to think I was stuck in a parallel universe. I know his name, but as for knowing his music or recognising a cameo in other media...  ???
I know who Ed Sheeran is, but I have been in quite a few conversations where people have been talking about celebrities I've never even heard of, as though everyone knows who they are. Most recently was about someone named Adel.
Who the heck is she?  ???
Assuming it's a she that is. From the conversation, it sounded like it.

Sinitrena

Adele.
She just released a new album after - ?some? - time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHsXMglC9A
Probably her most famous song (skip ahead to about 1:30 - who the f... makes a music video that starts the music only after more than a minute?); she also sang 'Skyfall' (for the Bond movie).
I like her music.
But I do understand the sentiment. I don't know how often I was in the situation that people discussed some kind of 'star' and I had no idea who they were.

heltenjon

I think perhaps this is partly because of our age, but mostly because of the media world we live in. With fewer channels on the tv and only live broadcasting, more people watched the same. Nowadays, we can pick and choose, meaning that I don't know anything about most "influencers" (which is a horrible word, worthy of its own grinding my gears post) or musicians performing in genres I don't listen to. Most tv shows with "celebrity specials" star people I've never heard of.

Mandle

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 12/12/2021 16:26:40
I think perhaps this is partly because of our age,

Yup, 'membering new stuff is hard. I stopped around 2005.

dactylopus

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sun 12/12/2021 16:14:11
Adele.
I'd check out "Rolling in the Deep" if interested.  More upbeat and all around better in my opinion.

Khris

It grinds my gears when I see actual tweets of actual people defending Elon Musk.

I know he has fans, and probably millions of them, but I can live with that as an abstract bubble of people I'll hopefully never see let alone meet. Being reminded that these are actual, real people who feel the need to jump to the defense of a 12-year-old bald wannabe comedian who's also the richest person alive and exploiting his workforce is very depressing and annoying.

Stupot

Yeah I’m also not very fond of Elon Musk. He’s certainly an interesting character but there’s something disconcerting about the number of people who swear by his every word. Most of what he comes out with is like Peter Molyneux on steroids (and LSD).

Danvzare

Quote from: Khris on Wed 15/12/2021 08:16:36
the richest person alive
I thought Jeff Bezos was the richest person alive.

Cassiebsg

I'm guessing was is probably the keyword here.  (laugh)
According to the first google result (infopedia.com), he's 76 billion in front of good old Jeffy....
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

Elon on SNL was one of the cringiest things I’ve ever seen.

Mandle

Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 15/12/2021 23:23:44
Elon on SNL was one of the cringiest things I’ve ever seen.

I think that's a part of the intended comedy of having non-comedians host the show. Check out the Stephen Segal clips to see true cringe.

Stupot

This might make me sound really old but one thing that’s been grinding my gears lately is this.

Once respectable brands such as Daedalic seem to be handing the keys to the social media accounts to any 12-year-old with access to a meme generator. Their page is full of this kind of thing. This is actually an example of one of the not-so-terrible ones.

https://m.facebook.com/daedalic/

cat

I honestly don't understand what this pic wants to say.

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Fri 21/01/2022 15:34:43
I honestly don't understand what this pic wants to say.

Me neither... it could either be saying that their new catalogue is "da bomb" or that they have ruined everything or that their games all have more excitement and are more action-based than before... probably the latter I guess?

Mandle

What grinds my gears is the recently announced title for Amazon's Middle Earth series.

You know it must have taken a large committee months to settle on a name as stupid as "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power."

There is no other possible explanation for such a cringe-worthy and redundant title.

heltenjon

:-D I just see the title of an episode: "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power: The Hunt for the Power Ring".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk