What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

It grinds my gears that they changed something about Milo so it's no longer possible to have a "crunchy" version with a layer of the granules floating on top. They dissolve too completely now.

TheFrighter

What grinds my gears: lot of people including deejays think that this classic McFerrin's song is an hymne to optimism.
It's the opposite, an ironic song about the fake optimism of 80's.

_

Gilbert

Quote from: cat on Tue 15/03/2022 20:46:22
Some time ago I was thinking about making a game where the screen is completely black and you have to navigate solely by sound effects. When I was pointed to this excellent game.

Then you have probably never heard of Enemy Zero and Real Sound from legendary creator Eno Kenji.

Enemy Zero was a survival horror game where the monster enemies never appeared on screen and you had to react according to audio cues. It was actually a rip-off inspired by Silent Debuggers on the PC-Engine. The game was also VERY (IN)FAMOUS for Eno pissing off Sony by announcing in a Playstation press conference that... it was for their rival's console, the Sega Saturn.

He then made Real Sound, which, was exactly what you described, a game with no screen output whatsoever and players needed to navigate by sound only, so the game was playable by blind people. (A later Dreamcast version did have scenery backgrounds though, which didn't change how it's played.)

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 17/03/2022 06:50:58
It grinds my gears that they changed something about Milo so it's no longer possible to have a "crunchy" version with a layer of the granules floating on top. They dissolve too completely now.
For a moment I had no idea what you meant. But then I remembered a Czechoslovakian friend who introduced me to it.
It's basically just powdered chocolate right?

cat

Quote from: Gilbert on Thu 17/03/2022 11:16:39
Then you have probably never heard of Enemy Zero and Real Sound from legendary creator Eno Kenji.

Enemy Zero sounds awesome. Real Sound is described as visual novel but audio only, which doesn't appeal to me.

In the game I had in mind, you would play as a blind person. You would have to walk through a town, navigating only by sounds - like the noise of your stick, a dog barking, cars passing by,... but I figured it would be too difficult without tactile interaction.

Pax Animo

What grinds my gears: People that don't wash their hands after using the toilet or before eating. The amount of people I witness that use public toilets and simply walk out without taking a moment after doing their business is staggering, from a male perspective its around 8 out of 10 people which don't bother to wash their hands.
Misunderstood

milkanannan

Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 21/03/2022 20:34:40
What grinds my gears: People that don't wash their hands after using the toilet or before eating. The amount of people I witness that use public toilets and simply walk out without taking a moment after doing their business is staggering, from a male perspective its around 8 out of 10 people which don't bother to wash their hands.

Wow where do you live with numbers like that? Yeah that infuriates me too, but it's thankfully a rare sight where I am.

Danvzare

Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 21/03/2022 20:34:40
Agreed, that grinds my gears too.
People just don't have basic hygiene!  :-X

Pax Animo

Quote from: milkanannan on Tue 22/03/2022 10:35:05
Wow where do you live with numbers like that? Yeah that infuriates me too, but it's thankfully a rare sight where I am.

Englands so called second city, well just outside but yes its certainly not the cleanest of places.
Misunderstood

Stupot

Yeah it’s disgusting. It’s surprising quite common in Japan too. Often while I’m washing my own hands, I’ll witness someone who’s just finished their business walk straight past the sinks without even looking. A few weeks ago it happened in a shopping center toilet and as this guy walked out I audibly went “eeeeuuuuurggghh!” to shame him. Haha.

Also I once worked in a junior high school here, and the Principle himself did the same thing. Which was funny because that school had a big thing about making sure the kids all washed their hands often.

Babar

At the risk of shaming myself  :=, if I simply need to use the urinal, I try my best not to touch anything in the bathroom- I elbow open the door, walk to the urinal, unzip, urinate, zip up, and not having handled anything (on myself or in the bathroom, sometimes skip the handwashing (avoiding touching more stuff).
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Stupot

â€œeeeeuuuuurggghh!”   :-*

milkanannan

Quote from: Babar on Wed 23/03/2022 03:20:22
At the risk of shaming myself  :=, if I simply need to use the urinal, I try my best not to touch anything in the bathroom- I elbow open the door, walk to the urinal, unzip, urinate, zip up, and not having handled anything (on myself or in the bathroom, sometimes skip the handwashing (avoiding touching more stuff).

The mechanics of a touchless 'urinate' step have me confused.

Babar

Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 23/03/2022 07:09:27
The mechanics of a touchless 'urinate' step have me confused.
I...this conversation is weird now. I just went to the restroom now to make sure what I was talking about (and washed to make you all happy, although again, I hadn't touched anything- still at least I know the office bathroom is cleaned regularly).
I don't really need to "direct" or aim, since my neutral position already aims at the base of the urinal. At what point would I need to be touching?

heltenjon

This reminds me about the Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld and Kramer are washing up in the restroom of a pizza restaurant, and the pizza chef comes out of a stall and walks out without washing. They somewhat lose their apetite...

Pax Animo

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 23/03/2022 08:12:00
This reminds me about the Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld and Kramer are washing up in the restroom of a pizza restaurant, and the pizza chef comes out of a stall and walks out without washing. They somewhat lose their apetite...

I was only just thinking about an incident at a pub I visited, the chef walked out of the cubicle and did a half hearted 2 second rince under a cold tap, (no soap) and off he went, plus I reckon he only did that because he seen someone else was using the facilities or he'd of just walked straight out.

Also reminds me of The only fools and horses episode (the jolly boy's outing), Del and Rodney are in the public toilet speaking with Eddie chambers who uses the urinal and then proceeds to shake Del's hand.
Misunderstood

Mouth for war

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 23/03/2022 08:12:00

and THAT reminds me of when I had mandatory internship in high school. I was at a pizza place and I remember one time when I saw one of the bakers pick his nose and then resumed baking. I got free food of course but I can't say that I was particularly happy when he asked "Do you want your pizza now?"
"Ummmm....no?" :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Danvzare

It grinds my gears whenever someone who doesn't understand the appeal of a certain type of gameplay, decides that it's because that type of gameplay is now dated and a good example of bad game design, rather than because it's not to their taste.
Two really good examples are the inventory item puzzles on Adventure Games and the turn-based combat prevalent in JRPGs.

Babar

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 01/05/2022 12:20:02
It grinds my gears whenever someone who doesn't understand the appeal of a certain type of gameplay, decides that it's because that type of gameplay is now dated and a good example of bad game design, rather than because it's not to their taste.
Two really good examples are the inventory item puzzles on Adventure Games and the turn-based combat prevalent in JRPGs.
I think the problem is that there are so many go-to bad examples for both that are much more famous, that people aren't aware that it doesn't make them intrinsically bad.

Stupot

Why do so-called "sing-along" or karaoke videos on YouTube only ever display each line at the point the line begins in the song? This renders it impossible to even try to "sing-along" to the song unless you already know it. But if you already know it, you don't need to see the lyrics in the first place?

Would it hurt them to bring up the next line just a few milliseconds early to give people a chance? Even just the first word of the next line would make a world of difference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk