What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 01/05/2022 12:20:02
It grinds my gears whenever someone who doesn't understand the appeal of a certain type of gameplay, decides that it's because that type of gameplay is now dated and a good example of bad game design, rather than because it's not to their taste.
Two really good examples are the inventory item puzzles on Adventure Games and the turn-based combat prevalent in JRPGs.
Indees, it oftentimes feels like there are too many people with zero patience who seem to think all games should be like something you could play at an arcade.

Snarky

"It's not a remake, it's a new adaptation of the source material."

Frodo

"It's the traditional recipe... new & improved.   :undecided:

Snarky

When sliced foods (cured ham, smoked salmon, etc.) come in packages arranged so that the topmost slices are on the opposite side of the side that opens. It's a small "fuck you" to the customers.

Frodo

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 28/05/2022 13:43:13
When sliced foods (cured ham, smoked salmon, etc.) come in packages arranged so that the topmost slices are on the opposite side of the side that opens. It's a small "fuck you" to the customers.

I HATE that!   :angry:
Some cheese slices are packed like that, as well.  It does my head in. 

Mandle

Similar thing here in Japan at convenience stores.

They sell fried chicken drumsticks which they put in paper bags.

The bags have a perforated tear-off line about two thirds of the way down.

The way it's supposed to work is that you tear off the top of the bag and gnaw on the drumstick while holding the base of the bone wrapped in the smaller part of the bag that is left.

This is the system that is designed so that you never have to touch the actual drumstick and get your fingers greasy.

But 9 times out of 10 the staff puts the drumstick into the bag top first, which means you have to pull it back out and put it back in so that the bone end is in the right place to tear off the bag.

And then the entire reason for the bag is gone.

The worst part is that on the back of the bag there is a diagram showing the buyer how to use the bag properly.

But the staff have never looked at the diagram.

Cassiebsg

They probably just do it on purpose...  (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AndreasBlack

This is probably an oldie, but when McDonalds delivers their "highcost meals" without paper around the hamburger and in a paperbox. Jesus Christ, how many trillions of dollars are they making and yet you get a hamburger with no paper around it with lots of lettuce and such that falls out of the hamburger almost instantly when you pick it up?   :-D

What's even weirder is the fact that they usually have papers around cheaper alternatives like the cheeseburger. I never understood that, anybody that knows the answer, please let me know. The answer is probably a googling away but still. (roll)

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 28/05/2022 16:13:50
Similar thing here in Japan at convenience stores.

They sell fried chicken drumsticks which they put in paper bags.

The bags have a perforated tear-off line about two thirds of the way down.

The way it's supposed to work is that you tear off the top of the bag and gnaw on the drumstick while holding the base of the bone wrapped in the smaller part of the bag that is left.

This is the system that is designed so that you never have to touch the actual drumstick and get your fingers greasy.

But 9 times out of 10 the staff puts the drumstick into the bag top first, which means you have to pull it back out and put it back in so that the bone end is in the right place to tear off the bag.

And then the entire reason for the bag is gone.

The worst part is that on the back of the bag there is a diagram showing the buyer how to use the bag properly.

But the staff have never looked at the diagram.

To add to this, they also seal the paper bag with a small piece of tape, except they invariably put the tape over part or the perforated line, making it harder to cleanly rip the bag open.

This kind of thing should be common sense but I’m afraid in Japan common sense is secondary to just literally following the guidelines. There is a piece of paper somewhere telling them to put the chicken in the bag and then to seal the bag with a piece of tape. But I’m guessing the guideline doesn’t specify that they should put the chicken in the right way diwn and to avoid putting the tape over the perforated line. And unfortunately, if it’s not written down then it just won’t occur to many people here.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that people seem to have a hard time accepting that I'm not interested in getting and playing Elden Ring.

And as soon as I say it, the discussion turns into "Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Elden Ring?".
Well, I've seen footage, I've seen reviews and I've watched friends play it and talk about it, and I'm still not interested.
I'm not into souls-like games, I don't like George RR Martin, I despise grimdark fantasy, I'm really tired of games where
the majority of the areas in-game are grimy and decaying, and where I'm at in my life, I'm actively trying to avoid big open-world games
designed to keep the player in a gameplay skinner box for hours on end.

Look, I can see why other people might really, really like the game, as I can also see why some people like classics like Planescape Torment
or Shadow of the Colossus, both massively praised and popular games I did try, and I didn't like them either, and I think that there can be no such thing
as a game for EVERYONE, because everyone is different and there's always going to be outliers.

And while I may not like Elden Ring, I do like pineapple on pizza, but I'm not going to nag somebody who dislikes pineapple to try it.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 20/06/2022 18:55:50

I do like pineapple on pizza

Well, that's what grinds my gears!  :-D

_

Cassiebsg

Why?

pineapple on pizza rules!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

milkanannan

I’m going to a children’s ‘make a pizza’ birthday party at an Italian place on the weekend and I joked with the host about adding pineapple to my pizza. Apparently the restaurant has a ‘no pineapples allowed’ policy. ??? I’m actually tempted to sneak a tin of pineapples in and covertly add them right before my pizza gets put in the oven. (laugh)

Stupot

How ridiculous. I never got why the ‘pineapple on pizza’ thing became such a debate. People either like a thing or they don’t. People only have such strong opinions about it because it somehow arbitrarily became a ‘the thing everyone has to broadcast their opinion about’. There’s another universe somewhere exactly like this one except everybody debates whether or not you should be allowed put cinnamon in a latte (something I hate but enough people seem to enjoy).

milkanannan

Yeah it is super weird. Purists ruin everything.

Cinnamon in a latte sounds like it would be pretty good. Maybe I'll give that a go!

Sinitrena

I like pineapple on pizza, and nobody should care about what anyone likes or doesn't like (for all things, not just what's on your pizza). But there's one legitamte reason why you might want to discuss it: Shared pizza - half so, half so. You just can't stop the pineapple juice from dripping into the other section and this might lead to some weird taste. Though, why anyone would only get half a pizza when they can get a whole one, I'll never understand.  :=

Mouth for war

Pineapple on pizza is delicious 😁
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 22/06/2022 10:02:02
How ridiculous. I never got why the ‘pineapple on pizza’ thing became such a debate. People either like a thing or they don’t. People only have such strong opinions about it because it somehow arbitrarily became a ‘the thing everyone has to broadcast their opinion about’. There’s another universe somewhere exactly like this one except everybody debates whether or not you should be allowed put cinnamon in a latte (something I hate but enough people seem to enjoy).
Quote from: Sinitrena on Wed 22/06/2022 14:24:34
I like pineapple on pizza, and nobody should care about what anyone likes or doesn't like (for all things, not just what's on your pizza). But there's one legitamte reason why you might want to discuss it: Shared pizza - half so, half so. You just can't stop the pineapple juice from dripping into the other section and this might lead to some weird taste. Though, why anyone would only get half a pizza when they can get a whole one, I'll never understand.  :=

Mandle

When you mention a horror movie or that you like horror movies to someone and they say, with an air of superiority, "Oh, I don't watch horror movies."

I want to say to them "fair enough, but being ignorant on any subject in no way makes you superior, twat."

(and also... "I don't watch horror movies" immediately disqualifies the person from having any further opinions about them, but they always do and it's always regurgitated garbage they absorbed from the media)

heltenjon

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 28/06/2022 10:38:27
When you mention a horror movie or that you like horror movies to someone and they say, with an air of superiority, "Oh, I don't watch horror movies."
Too bad, they're missing out some glorious metaphors for the fears in our society.
(And I'm only half kidding.)

I remember a lecture from a scholar who actually had changed his mind about horror movies after accidentally eavesdropping on some enthusiasts who were discussing which of the three first Alien movies they preferred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk